Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

What is love?

7 years ago

I'm writing a romantic segment to one of my games, and I wanted to know, how exactly do you go about doing that?

I mean, I should probably follow my own advice and say "Just write it, you procrastinatory fuck!" but this is very different. So much of so many aspects of attraction and affection happen in your head, and you don't exactly have the time to analyze what's going on unless you're a highly philosophically-minded person or you've been given an awkwardly long time to think about it shortly after the moment's occurred.

So I'm asking, how do these emotions come about, why, and, most importantly, since this is what troubles me, how the fuck do I show that this is happening without awkwardly cutting in to say everyone's thoughts!?

What is love?

7 years ago

Depends. When two people have the right chemistry, it just sort of... happens. 

What is love?

7 years ago

Like, I have them talking, and they seem to hit it off really well, and they hit on each other, but literally no matter where I try to direct it, everything seems to feel incredibly rushed. Even hugging seems off. I do try to put more plot in between, but that feels like filler, and I can sort of feel that when I'm writing and re-reading it. I do try to trust my gut with this, but I'm not sure my gut is trustable in matters pertaining to things I'm already uncomfortable writing?

Edit: Then again, my best experience with romance in a CYOA is Snow and its many clones, where, in most cases, it's among kids where the entire thing remains perfectly innocent until the tragedy happens, and/or it has literally been building up to this shit for several decades now.

What is love?

7 years ago

There are literally thousands, if not millions of scenarios in which two people can be pushed or gently nudged (or hog-tied and hurled) together. If you really do need examples or ideas, I can offer you some, but whether or not it feels natural often depends entirely on the couple and their traits and what kind of relationship they have beforehand.

What is love?

7 years ago

Well, like what Kiel said, it's... case-by-case, I suppose.

There are literally infinite situations that it could originate from, whether it be love at first sight, a slow build up between friends, or one of those Slap-Slap-Kiss moments.

You'll think of something, I'm sure.

What is love?

7 years ago

love

l?v/

noun

1. 1

an intense feeling of deep affection.

"babies fill parents with intense feelings of love"

synonyms: deep affection, fondnesstendernesswarmthintimacyattachmentendearmentMore
  2. 2

a person or thing that one loves.

"she was the love of his life"

synonyms: beloved, loved one, love of one's life, deardearest, dear one, darlingsweetheartsweetangelhoney;More

verb

1. 1

feel a deep romantic or sexual attachment to (someone).

"do you love me?"

syn

What is love?

7 years ago
How do the emotions come about? Poets have been trying to determine that for ages with no success. How do you describe them? You describe the feelings that your characters are having, what they see and what they think.

What is love?

7 years ago

I think the easiest way is to just describe an experience you've enjoyed or wish had happened and then modify it to fit your story. Allow your mind to wander, do automatic writing. Logic and analysis is not the answer for sure :D

What is love?

7 years ago

What is love?

Going downstairs at 3 in the morning to make a sandwich because your loved one says she is hungry and can't sleep...

What is love?

7 years ago

^ This.

What is love?

7 years ago

Sounds more like you're whipped lol. What was stopping her from making her own sandwich?

What is love?

7 years ago

... kawaii?

... da booty?

What is love?

7 years ago

Yes, feeding your loved one or doing them favors of any kind out of the goodness of your heart makes you whipped. So, if you get a girlfriend / wife, tell her to make her own damn sandwich and you can blow yourself, everyone wins. :P

What is love?

7 years ago

Haha I think me and Kiel are on the same wavelength. I equate Love with something like Selflessness, putting someone's own interests ahead of yours safe in the knowledge they'll repay the favor in some way in the future. Trying to give someone else the best possible life with the knowledge that they'll recognize this and try to do the same back to you (some people of course just take advantage of this but that's ok. You just stop talking to these people :P). It can also be applied on a lower scale to friends and family, doing things that improve their days or lives and getting good experiences back, shared fun activities like going to the movies or the bar are good for things like this :) I'm not sure why I've slipped into my talking-to-children mode, sorry about that :D

What is love?

7 years ago

Wow, Will. You really are the nicest person on the site!

What is love?

7 years ago

I couldn't have said it better, Will. Love absolutely equates to putting the needs of someone else above your own for me. And learning when to walk away is a valuable lesson, if sometimes a painful one. I've had to do it a few times, but I've still got a lot of people in my life who return those favors gladly.

What is love?

7 years ago
Love is certainly about putting someone else's needs before yours... but as for the sammich, that's a whole 'nuther story! ;)

What is love?

7 years ago

If you can blow yourself, you are definitely already a winner.

Actually, I want to go back to your first part:  If it makes you uncomfortable to write about it, why are you? Most stories don't require romantic affection.  Honestly, that's a problem I have with a lot of stories, is that they felt like they had to have a love interest.  And it came off like they felt like they had to have it, not that the relationship made sense.

What is love?

7 years ago

Because if I don't practice it, I'll never not be uncomfortable writing it, and I want to practice in this particular story because I'd like to have that in my box of plot tools. And while in this particular story I'm very comfortable writing an already married/long dating couple for a character I already said was in a relationship, writing the part where this relationship came about is the part I'm having trouble with, where it all just feels really rushed.

What is love?

7 years ago
Love is like a warm chair on a cold night.

What is love?

7 years ago
It only makes your ass feel good?

What is love?

7 years ago
This made me laugh. (But I think you may need a better chair.)

What is love?

7 years ago
You don't need to awkwardly cut it in? The player's thoughts can literally be said periodically, and their potential loved one's thoughts can be shown through their actions/body language.

If it's too hard just don't make a romantic segment. Not like all stories need one.

What is love?

7 years ago

There are three kinds of love. Love of family, love of friends, and the love of a lover. 

Don't cut in to say everyone's thoughts then. Sprinkle in some details about what they're doing - looking away while speaking indicating shyness. Fiddling with a piece of jewelry or with your hands indicating nervousness. A blink and lack of verbal response indicating confusion. Laughter where the eyes give it away that they don't really find it funny and that there's a problem. 

What is love?

7 years ago

This mainly applies to teenagers. I'm not sure what age the protagonist is in Sent's story though.

What is love?

7 years ago

... The signals Taco is talking about? ... No, I've seen adults do all of that, too.

What is love?

7 years ago

You get nervous, Extremely nervous. Walk up to her/him and keep yourself barely out of your lover's personal space. Talk to her/him, small talk. A  "Umm.....you look... nice... today." Will get the reader's attention of a romance coming on. So, give your characters a sense of fear, caution, sensitivity, and joy. 

That is just my idea though.

What is love?

7 years ago

Love is a deep and irrational regard for another living creature, a regard that you can not justify but, at the same time, can not reason away.

It is the desire to hogtie a random game warden and bust their knuckles with a ball peen hammer to the tune of SoaD's "Prison Song" because you recently saw a video of Colorado Wildlife Officers hanging raccoons to death over supposed clerical errors by their rehabber.

It is the desire to tell your mom that her mother's day gift is you not reporting her illegal baby sitting service to the IRS after your stepdad killed your dog.

It is the desire to blood-eagle Sarah Palin and dedicate her entire fucking state as a living temple to Woden.

It is the desire to drive to Virginia and gut-punch a neckbeard because he made your girlfriend feel like she wasn't even worth taking out to a Mexican restaurant.

You can tell whether an emotion is love based on whether you will get at least five years of prison if you act on it.

Also, it is rather impossible to demonstrate love solely through actions.

What is love?

7 years ago

I reccommend kidney-punching. Neckbeards have too much armor protecting them for a gut-punch to do anything.

The problem, I guess, is that both of the characters in question are badasses, and a lot of the things they'd maybe do for a mere crush could get them 5 years in prison, so I'm having a little trouble with pacing. I'll have to try and manage my gut instincts a little better to get through this, I guess?

What is love?

7 years ago

Have you tried the "fighting leads to awkward, intimate contact" thing yet?

What is love?

7 years ago

I can't really find a reason for them to fight, except for the part where he was fighting her older sister because she was a space bounty hunter who was after him for... Nevermind, it was broken up without incident and he moved in with her. They're way too cordial to try and beat the crap out of each other any time soon. Especially since I'm trying to get the point across that the girl is a very calm, reasonable person compared to the guy, who's an asshole trying his best not to be an asshole.

What is love?

7 years ago

Boom! He asks her for help controlling himself, and it leads to an intimate moment.

What is love?

7 years ago

He doesn't exactly know he's an asshole, he's just trying his best to be more "Jedi Good" and/or "Batman Good" rather than "Deadpool Good". He's under the impression that there's absolutely no enemy he can't take on himself, even if his enemies are his own glaringly-obvious-to-everyone-except-himself flaws. My idea is that he's being uncharacteristically shy and saccharine because of this and he gets very upset at his inability to recognize and accept his feelings, and, actively against his wishes, one of his loved ones tries to get the girl's older sister to try and help set them up on the grounds that it decreases the likelihood of him violating probation.

What is love?

7 years ago

He kills someone the girl happens not to like and she takes it as him flirting with her, so she fucks him like a ragdoll?

What is love?

7 years ago

He's on probation for time-travelling vigilante murder issued by a court run by the Unrelenting Good Guy version of Ultron after downloading the TARDIS app on his head-core. He'd have trouble killing anyone without being spotted and then sentenced to 32 deaths by Attilla disenlegment. I do like this line of thinking, though.  Maybe an intense beating, and Ultron will just give him a firm Karate-chop on the wrist.

What is love?

7 years ago

That actually sounds a lot cooler than it should.

What is love?

7 years ago

And why does she like him?

What is love?

7 years ago

She's very uptight and rulesy, and he's good at teasing her into letting her guard down and having fun, so she's very comfortable and likes spending time with him. This origin comes into play later in the story, it starts off establishing that, over time, the guy's become obsessive/rules oriented and the girl is now the adventurous one. I feel like the flashback would make him feel the need to balance things out again and not be a wet blanket.

What is love?

7 years ago