Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

Writing Prompts - Day 1

7 years ago

Rules:

1. You have no more than 5 minutes to think about the prompt and no more than 20 to write. You can write for longer if you want, but only words written during the 20 minutes count towards your total, so mark where you ran out of time.

2. You will be graded on wordcount and overall coherence. You will not be graded on quality, so write as fast as you can while still producing something that makes sense and would be salvageable with cleanup. It doesn't have to have an ending or form a complete story, but it should at least read like an excerpt from a longer work. It can be silly or serious or anything else you want.

3. When you're done, post your wordcount. Posting your story is optional. We understand it will be terrible.

4. If you're working on a real story and don't have time to write something for a prompt, you can work on your real story instead, but only if you're super lame. Again, you don't have to post an excerpt, only your wordcount. You should really write something for the prompt, but this rule ensures @mizal has no excuses for not participating.

Today's Prompt: A tea party. Frills and pink are encouraged but optional.

Writing Prompts - Day 1

7 years ago

Word count: 636. <- I can write quickly if I don't care about my overall quality and plot. The sad thing is that this is still better than WC fanficiton. Apparently, my mind concocted a tale about a slightly insane girl (in what appears to be fifth grade or somthing) with at least two personalities who decided to have a frilly, pink tea party for her female classmates.

Oh, and below is my story. Don't ask what a "humblesticker" is. I have no clue either. Apparently, my mind reverts back to music when randomly thinking of things (hence Layla and Black Sabbath).

Hom di te dom, its time to have a party. What type of party? I don’t know, perhaps tea? Yeah… no, it should be iced coffee. Hell no! I’m allergic to that you retarded humblesticker! Fine, let’s have it be tea. Thanks. You’re just talking to yourself. We/I Know.

Well, what are we going to do? Yes, let’s make it pink and invite all of the girls from class over. Why? Because girls like pink stuff, right? We are a girl. Oh. Yeah.

Okay, we should have pink plates and pink forks and pink cups and… Why did you say forks? Are you going to stab your tea? Well, we could eat crumpets… with a fork… maybe. Sure, let’s get some crumpets. Great! What is  acrumpet anyway? I think it’s a… um, a bread of some sort that might be similar to a dry and stale biscut. Oh, damn.

To continue my thought, we should have pink table clothes and pink chairs and pink walls… We’re going to paint walls? Yeah. Why not. We got some pink paint left over from last Thurdsay. Oh, that’s great.

Finally, what should we wear? Um, clothes? Yes, I already knew that. How about a blue jean shirt and kakie pants despite the fact that the name kakie is impossible for me to spell. Okay, good idea. I think we should wear shoes as well. Yep, croks. That could have been a dangerous misspelling.

Okay, now its time to send out the cards. You write thirteen and a half cards since thirteen girls are in your class. Another one shows up half the time. In the cards, you write:

Dearest classmates and friedns from my class,

We cordially invite you to a team party. It will be pink and frilly, so y’all will love it. There will be crumpets and a two penny admittance fee (unless you show up two minutes early).

Thanks,
Betty Crocker

That day, you pass out the cards. At first, the girls were confused, but then they were happy when they… um, saw the card. They thus proceeded to arrive two minutes early… except for that one girl, Layla, who only shows up half the time. She arrived a day early, so she helped you with decorations.

You created pink frilly decorations by using those pink things that are often in multiply colors. They are paper and used for birthday parties, but both of us and Layla don’t know what they are. You got them for three cents a pound at your lcal pharmacy.

You put those frilly things everywhere. Layla sprinkled glitter on everything (except for the food and tea of course). Oh, she also dyed her hair pink because this is apparently an anime episode.

Then, the other girls arrived two minutes early which has already been stated but is being stated again. Now, they all showed up in pink dresses except for one who everybody calls “Blue Ronda”. She wore green and it was her basketball jersy.

At the party, everybody had outlandish Cockney accents and raised their pinky as you drank. Layla brought out her harpsichord, which she keeps in her surprisingly roomy pocket, and played her covers of Black Sabbath on it.

The crumpets were taken out and everybody ate some. Not too much though since none of you wished to eat more than 1,511 calories in a day. Finally, you dragged your protesting little brother out of his room and forced him to waltz with each and every last girl as Layla played some Harpsichord Black Sabbath. Well, Layla didn’t since she was playing the instrument, but she liked it anyway.

In the end, everybody had a great time and you made two and a half new friends… especially the half. Aren’t frilly pink parties the best damn thing ever?!

Writing Prompts - Day 1

7 years ago

Oh, by the way, I had no idea what "frilly" meant. Most of my time spent planning the story was actually me googleing it. It first came up as "women's underwear", so I was like "What the Hell?!"

Writing Prompts - Day 1

7 years ago

This was a shitty prompt. I'm usually so fast at writing, but I just couldn't think of ANYTHING to write. You suck, Axiom. 793

Four people sat at the table, soon to be three if Sam didn’t get medical attention. Jervis Tetch sat at the head of the table grinning. He grabbed his tea cup, making sure to raise his pinkie as he raised it to his lips, taking a sip.

“More tea, Alice?” he asked, grabbing the tea pot.

“Please, I’m not Alice,” Mary said.

The Mad Hatter gritted his teeth, grinding them together.

“We’ve been through this, Alice! We’ve been through this a dozen fucking times!”

The Mad Hatter splashed the burning tea in Mary’s face, and she let out a shrill cry of pain. The Mad Hatter smashed the cup over her head, shards cutting into her face.

“How many times must I repeat the same shit, Alice? It’s not my fault you can’t remember your fucking name!”

“Look, M… Alice is just forgetful. You can’t blame her for that,” Jacob said. “You just have to have patience. Don’t just get mad…”

“Mad?” The Mad Hatter laughed, throwing a pack of cards in Jacob’s face with a delighted giggle. “What a fitting descriptor, is it not?”

“Yes, yes! I understand. You’re the Mad Hatter. You are. It’s…”

“Would you like some tea, Tweedledee?” The Hatter interupted.

Jacob’s eyes darted to the tea cup, before nodding. Jacob’s hands shook badly as he raised the tea cup, and the Hatter began pouring.

“We’re all happy to be here. It’s just Sam ne…”

“There’s no Sam here,” the Hatter said, his smile turning to a growling snarl.

“Tweedledum needs medical… he’s very sleepy. He…”

Jacob’s hand slipped, dropping the cup and splashing scalding tea over his hand. The Hatter gritted his teeth again as the cup bounced off the table, landing on the carpet.

“Tweedledee, care to pick that up?” he asked.

Jacob leaned down to pick it up, briefly seeing the gun the Hatter held under his coat once again. He grabbed the cup, placing it back on the table. The Hatter filled it, smiling.

“Where were you?” he asked, smiling.

He’s interupting our meeting. We best leave him off outside, so he can sleep.”

“Then there’d only be Alice, me and you, and that’s one more than two, and…” the Hatter said, devolving into another jibbering rhyme.

“Enough… with the fucking rhymes,” Sam spurtled in a choked out gurgle.

The Hatter stood up calmly, grabbing the blood-covered knife laid on the table. He took a deep breath, and began stabbing it repeatedly into Sam’s throat.

“It’s what I… fucking… do!” he screamed, punctuating the sentences with stabbing. with a stab. “I’m… the fucking… Mad Hatter… that’s Alice… he’s Tweedledee… and you’re… fucking… tweedle… fucking… dum!”

The Hatter stopped, his green coat now covered in blood, Sam’s throat now a hacked apart bloody slab of flesh. The Hatter dropped a knife, taking a deep breath. He pressed a finger against Sam’s temple, pushing him out of his seat.

“Happy now, Tweedledum?” he asked. “Now Alice, would you like some tea, Alice?”

Crying, as tears washed her blood-covered face, Mary nodded, grabbing one of the unbroken cups. 

“We seem to be out of tea. I’ll put on another pot, shall I?” the Hatter asked.

“Sure,” Jacob said, trying to force a smile to appear on his lips. He couldn’t.

The Hatter stood up, walking over to the kitchen.

“We need to get out of here,” Mary said.

“He’s got a fucking gun!” Jacob replied. “We just have to play along.”

“Did you see how much blood there is in this place? This tea ware is covered in blood. He’s done this before. If we stay here, we die.”

“The Batman will come for us. He always does.”

“Didn’t you see the reports? The Penguin’s goons robbed a bank at 44th Street. Firefly is burning down half the district. 

The crocodile thing took Commissioner Loeb. Batman’s not coming for us. The police is too bloated and corrupt to help. We need to run! We…!”

Mary’s head exploded as a bullet slammed into it. She slumped down, gore covering the table, as the Hatter walked back over to the table.

“Alice, don’t be silly. You’re not leaving me. You could never leave Wonderland!” he said.

Jacob tried not to burst into tears as the Hatter crammed his hand into the back of her head, his fingers clutching her jaws from the wound as he puppeted Jacob’s wife’s skull.

“Yes please, Mister Hatter,” the Hatter said in a falsetto voice.

The Mad Hatter lifted the tea cup to Mary’s mouth, and poured it down where it mixed with the blood pouring out the sides of her mouth.

“Tweedledee, your tea’s getting cold,” the Hatter said.

Jacob lifted the tea to his lips and took a sip, trying not to cry.

Writing Prompts - Day 1

7 years ago

503 words.

Where were you when the acid kicked in?

James was sitting at his grandmother’s house surrounded by elderly ladies. They came in all shapes and sizes, but mostly they were of the large, bulbous variety. These weren’t frail, impoverished old people because James’ family had standards and they associated with aristocrats only. James often recalled fondly his earliest memory with his grandmother: he was a small child, sitting on her lap in the manor gardens and they were watching the gardeners work.

“What’s that?” James had said, pointing at one of the men.

“A nigger, hunny,” came the reply.

James was born in the late nineties in England, this wasn’t a nineteenth century American plantation in Texas. Suffice it to say, there were no black people at granny’s tea party.

The acid was just starting to settle in for James, and he watched as the number of fat women with gaudy pearls increased before him. It occurred to him that if he squinted, they looked a lot like wriggling maggots. Was that always true or was that the acid? It probably wasn’t the acid, this was just the beginning of the come-up.

James had purchased the acid a few hours ago from his friend William. Friend was the wrong word really, James hated William and he beat him regularly. He beat him for fun, or because William wore something he didn’t like, or sometimes, because William had brown eyes. Come to think of it, purchase was the wrong word too. James had no idea how potent the drugs were, so he made sure to take all of the tabs, just to be safe, you know? He couldn’t recall exactly how many had dissolved on his tongue, but the world around him began to blur a little.

James often came for granny’s tea parties. He loved the attention that the old women would give him, and he especially loved when Granny would invite a poor person to join them. James loved to watch the poor person arrive in their Honda Civic, so blissfully unaware of the emotional beating they were about to endure. The tea parties were also excellently catered, always with French macarons and loaves of fresh bread and crumpets. James loved to eat and it showed on his waistband.

Granny’s servants began to serve the tea and James got up to socialize. No poor people today, but there was someone he didn’t recognize: she was young, about his age, and gobsmackingly beautiful. James had never seen someone so beautiful before and he wanted nothing more than to fuck her violently.

“Who are you?” He asked.

“Gertrude m’dear,” she replied.

It turns out that Gertrude was actually one of the family dogs, and when James began to savagely fuck it in front of more than a dozen elderly ladies, he got some funny looks. That said, no one stopped him, and his grandmother even gave him a back massage when it got sore from bending over.

Writing Prompts - Day 1

7 years ago
I only had 225 words. Sorry this took so long I got sidetracked by something.
I don't think its good enough to post.
Eh. I tried.
I hope I do better next time. e.e

Writing Prompts - Day 1

7 years ago

Screw that, post it. Don't be a coward. You could be throwing dogshit up here, I'd still respect you more than hiding it.

Writing Prompts - Day 1

7 years ago

I.. agree with Steve, but y'know, nicer. Post it!

Writing Prompts - Day 1

7 years ago
I agree with Steve and 3J. Not so nicely as 3J, but still nicer than Steve.

Writing Prompts - Day 1

7 years ago

Aww, come on, post it. No one expects anything written here to be good. (I mean, Bucky clearly just posted an excerpt from his erotic novel.)

Writing Prompts - Day 1

7 years ago

533. After the first twenty minutes, I started a stopwatch to see how long it would take me to write the rest...can't believe an hour and a half passed just writing this. The line in the middle is the twenty-minute mark.

____

Summer had departed the city like a candle being blown out. The days had been rainy, dreary; the nights were so much like winter in their stillness, in the dark. Fewer people ambled up and down the downtown streets. Bar doors were kept shut and rarely opened to accommodate the traffic of night owls. Just past two, when the bars closed, the imbibing stragglers and other lost-and-found insomniacs seemed to congregate at Murphy's all at once. Dennis, the host/waiter/fry cook hadn't seen a night like this since the middle of July, when folks wanted nothing more than to keep pushing at the fringe of the evening, reluctant to let sleep or dawn or next-day reality wipe away that night's good times.

Dennis had sat half a dozen parties of two, a handful of fours, and a bachelor party that staggered in requesting to be seated together. Some shuffling was required. Finally, around three, there was nowhere else to sit the remaining loners but at the hightop bar, together. Dennis immediately regretted forfeiting his impending gratuities at the cause of the awkwardness this would cause the two men.

One of them looked to be about 45, with a full head of dark hair and rimless glasses sliding down his nose. Of course it was deep into the night, but this guy looked especially haggard. His clothing wasn't the issue - he was well-dressed in a collared shirt with a nice watch - but the way he kept tapping his left hand on the counter, occasionally stroking his left fingers with his other hand, suggested he was ill at ease and had been for a while. 

The second man was perhaps a little older, or maybe just a smoker. He was rounder in the face, with a greying goatee and a heather grey t-shirt. In contrast to his neighbour, his stillness was unsettling. He didn't open the menu Dennis had given him. He barely allowed his body to come to rest on the stool. He was propped up on one elbow, starting at the counter like he was inspecting a coffee stain.

"Evening." Dennis himself was feeling the effects of working the night shift, and couldn't think of much else to say to the two. To his genuine surprise, the men looked up. "Can I get either of you anything? Hate to break it to you, but I'll warn you before you get your hopes up: coffee machine broke at dinner. All we have other than water or Coke is tea."

The two men each contemplated this disappointment in their own way. Processing. This was clearly a big loss for them.

"I'll take tea," the collared men said. His head still resting in his hand, the goatee nodded. 

Dennis took a moment to prepare the two mugs of tea. Red, Red Rose. He passed the men identical beige mugs, a small tin creamer, and a nice, floral porcelain bowl of sugar that seemed extremely out of place. The men dressed their teas, the collared man taking sugar, the goatee taking sugar. They stirred the auburn liquid in their vessels, and settled into their individual distressed positions, though this time they came to face each other.

------------

"Funny, isn't it?" Collared man said, eyeing his hands again. In addressing his tea companion, he projected more than Dennis expected; his voice was clear, direct, assertive even strung onto so few words. Goatee man slid his eyes towards the voice. He said nothing, but his disheveled greying eyebrows inched closer together on his face.

"Being downtown, all these young cats getting pancakes after hitting the bar," collared man said, taking a moment to scope out the diner and its main demographic. "And we, these old guys, we're right here with them." He smiled, then looked up at goatee man as if he'd touched him. "I don't mean to be so wistful, sorry. Should just keep my words to myself, I've been told." 

The goatee man gave a shrug of a laugh and at last removed his elbow from the sticky countertop. He stretched, raising his stubby hands above his head in a full-on sun salutation, then set his other hand beneath his chin. "No worries, brother. I know what you meant."

Dennis listened in from the next table, wondering if the two men would elucidate, but they fell silent again. Just sipped their tea. 

The bachelor party ordered another plate of cheese fries. The remaining groups of two, mostly couples that looked to be on dates that had been altogether too long, began asking for their bills (separate). Dennis bussed several plates that bore the greasy remnants of hamburgers or Belgian waffles. When he returned to the men drinking their tea to see if they needed anything, he interrupted them in conversation.

"Which is really what makes this so hard, you know, because I can't connect the two parts of my world that mean the most to me, and in either case it seems like I'm the problem, my personality is the problem, except for that at work my personality is the solution. Or at least a very strong trait for the business. Anyways." The collared man ended his sentence with a sip of tea. He paused with the liquid in his mouth as if unsure of whether to swallow it, then seemed to lose himself in thought while his right hand itched around his left fingers.

The goatee man allowed for this break in conversation by taking a deep breath and switching out the arm that held his head. "I hear you," he eventually said. His voice softer than his companion's, certainly in volume but also in confidence. His brevity might have suggested disinterest if it weren't for his gaze, which jumped around the collared man in examination. He too had some of his tea, and Dennis skirted away so as not to interrupt.

The chill of the autumn night was starting to plaster itself on the inside of the diner windows, making dusty billows of condensation around the bachelor table, so mirthful and loud. Feeling a chill take over him, and also hoping for some caffeine to make it to the end of his shift, Dennis poured himself some tea. Using a soup bowl and sneaking some of the heavy cream from the cook's fridge, he sipped quietly in the back.

Moments passed. Dawn seemed to be approaching, not by any discernible evidence, but in the general way that the circadian rhythm makes itself known. The bachelor party had, at long last, abandoned their food and staggered out into the cold, leaving behind a breath of damp leaves as the door closed behind them. The diner contained just two patrons now, and both had requested more hot water for their teas. The second steeping of Red Rose looked a little browner, must have tasted more astringent, but neither complained or troubled Dennis for another bag. 

At quarter to four, the goatee man resigned himself to two elbows on the counter. He cradled his head on his greying forearms, his cheek turned towards the collared man, who had asked him something. Goatee man nodded in response. Dennis approached with the kettle, freshly boiled. 

"Yeah, and I thought our sector had it bad, phew. Were you December?" 

The goatee man nodded again, closing his eyes.

"So, wow, that puts you at ten months. Right?"

Another nod.

"Wow. No I can't even imagine. And in this city, with this economy? Man." The collared man took a moment to share in the silence of his companion. Both smiled at Dennis when he poured them fresh water. Dennis was retreating to his own tea when he the collared man raised his hand to his brow and squeezed his eyes. "You know, and I thought I had it rough to split it all fifty-fifty, but you... You kind of lost the whole deal, huh?"

The primary redeeming factor of working the night shift, according to Dennis's manager upon hiring him, was that you only got interesting characters in and out at those hours of the night. So you'd hardly ever be bored with the crowd that got drawn in, craving toast or wanting something hot to sip on. Dennis had slogged through the busy summer nights encountering mostly drunk college kids and alarmingly apparent alcoholics, and so had formed the opinion that the manager had been lying to fill the desperately-needed, rarely-sought shift on the schedule. Dennis recalled his own hiring as he rang through collared man's bill. Two teas came out to 4.60. A slim price on such a long night at Murphy's. Dennis was glad when he was denied change from the collared man's ten, though. "Thank you, gentlemen," he remarked, as if he was suddenly in a fancy establishment and it wasn't nearly six in the morning. As he was clearing the empty mugs he watched the two men slap each other on the shoulders in the way he'd seen so many drunk people do: both resting their weight on and propping up on their partner on their walk home. The two men before him rose, collected their fall jackets from their stools, and shared a final, exhausted moment. 

"Good luck." 

"Take care, brother." 

Once they left, the diner was silent but for the abstract sound of kitchen things. Dennis topped off his soup bowl and allowed himself a minute to sit down, unwind from his long shift, await the morning replacement. His tea was hot but cooling quickly, steam roiling off the surface in silky curls, losing energy to the chill of the autumn night. And soon it would be winter.

Writing Prompts - Day 1

7 years ago
Axiom's Evil Plan

Axiom poured Bucky a cup of tea. Typically, Bucky enjoyed tea, but not when Axiom had him tied to a chair with hemp rope and heavy steel chains. She would not be getting a Christmas present this year. That much was a damn certainty. Although, there was still hope for Mizal.

“Come on, Bucky, open up.” Axiom teased the cup towards Bucky’s lips.

“I know what you did to the tea. And I know what you did to Steve.” Bucky spat in Axiom’s face. “You can suck the fattest part of my dick.”

“Now, now, now, Bucky. Be nice.” Axiom set the teacup down on the tabletop and wiped the phlegm from her face.

She sauntered around to the other side of the table and picked up a rusty spoon. A smile so irritating that it made Bucky want to shit adorned her face. She toyed with the spoon between her fingers, flipping it back and forth, twirling it around. She caressed it. Licked it. Rubbed it between her breasts. Shoved it down her panties.

“Do you know what I’m going to do with this if you don’t drink the tea?” Axiom asked, skipping back toward Bucky. She waggled the spoon in front of his eyes. “I think you do.”

“You’re either going to shove it up my ass or scoop out one of my eyes. I’d prefer you scoop out both of them, then I don’t have to look at your ugly mug anymore.”

“Is that supposed to be reverse psychology? I’m absolutely fabulous. You probably want me to strip down to nothing and do a little jig for you. Actually, who am I kidding? I know you do.”

“Jigs are for the Irish.”

Axiom sighed. She dipped the spoon into the teacup and raised it up to Bucky’s lips. “I’m going to kick you in the dick if you don’t open up.”

“Fuck off.”

Without pause, Axiom kicked Bucky straight in the dick. His lips parted as he grunted through the testicular pain and Axiom shoved the spoon into Bucky’s mouth. Her fingers clamped around his nose. She wouldn’t let go until he swallowed.

“Why do I have to treat you like a toddler?”

Bucky hacked and gagged, spat on the table before his chair of chains, but it was pointless. “You’re a bitch, you know that right?”

Axiom’s grin split her face in two. Just like some manner of shitty ass cliché. “How do you feel now that you’ve participated in a real tea party now? I bet you’re so happy inside. Your heart must just be full to bursting! Do you want more? Of course you do!” Axiom kicked Bucky in the dick again and once more shoved the tea into his mouth and pinched his nose until he swallowed. “I bet you’re seeing unicorns and rainbows now!”

“I fucking hate tea parties. And pineapple. Who the fuck puts pineapple in tea? You’re a god damned heathen degenerate and I hope you get your nipples bitten off by a rabid raccoon from the most redneck region of Alabama where all the people are inbreed hillbillies with three balls, cleft chins and studded toes.” Bucky slumped in his chair of chains as much as the chains and ropes would allow. “Can you let me fucking go now? I don’t want to see Steve like this.”

Axiom squealed like a little girl, well a fat little girl. Or a pig maybe. “Oh, no, no, no. You need to see how fabulous he looks.”

Axiom’s faceless boyfriend led Steve out to the table from some hidey-hole in the woods. It was difficult to tell which looked more like a sissy bitch loser. Axiom’s poor boyfriend looked like a man who had been beaten down through years of hard labor, performing the bidding of his cruel, cruel mistress with little to show for it in return. Also, he had no face. Literally.

Steve, on the other hand, looked like a proper prissy prince from some schoolgirl’s fantasy. He had a gay little crown on top of his head, bedecked with stupid shiny jewels. He wore purple silk robes, a frivolous half cape and black leather shoes that still stunk of shoe polish. He even had a fucking scepter!

Steve held his head low. “Remember me as I was, Bucky.”

“You should be happy! I have shown you enlightenment!” Axiom smacked Steve across the face with a French baguette.

Writing Prompts - Day 1

7 years ago

I think you won the thread.

You forgot the part where she glitterfied iavatus and emasculated him with a stuffed unicorn though.

Writing Prompts - Day 1

7 years ago

Blaaargh I am bad at these. 575 words. And probably I technically cheated, since after you read a prompt it's kind of hard not to think about it even while doing other things. (Forward any complaints about that to Axiom, that bitch forced me to participate and I heard a rumor she's done something awful to Bucky and Steve.)

“Let’s have a tea party!”  Amber’s mother met her at the door with that exclamation, wide smile beaming, wide eyes gleaming.

Her daughter, high-school aged--barely--cautiously returned her exuberant hug, a knot tightening in her stomach though she tried not to show her unease. She followed her inside, setting her backpack down and taking in the transformed living room and kitchen. Amber always washed her own cereal bowl in the morning but the sink and counters had now been scrubbed till they glowed. The carpet was vacuumed, the clothes on the couch had been folded and put away, every corner and knick-knack dusted. The kitchen table had been moved somewhere. But the most obvious change was Mom herself. She’d showered, changed her clothes, even put on makeup.       

Mom capered around the room, actually singing, something in Italian that Amber vaguely recalled from their time living with Grandma. “Oh, what’s the matter with you? Smile, sweetie! We’re having a tea party!”  Grabbing her hands, she tried to make her daughter dance too, but Amber was stiff and unresponsive. She refused to allow herself to enjoy this.

“Teenagers! Too cool for your old mom now, huh?” her mother chided, then giggled and skipped to the kitchen as the tea kettle started to whistle. God knows where she’d even dug that thing out from. Amber had never seen it before.

“Come on, come on! You’ll love this!” Mom urged, grabbing a box of teabags along with the kettle and skipping her way down the hall to her bedroom. It, too, had been transformed. The windows were open, cleaned of their dust and letting the bright sunlight pour in, the bedding had been washed and changed for the first time in months. Most out of place was the table that had been into the center of the room. Festooned in ribbons, construction paper doilies, and glitter, so much glitter, their old kitchen table was nearly unrecognizable. Amber’s old stuffed animals had been dug out of their box in the attic and seated all around it.

Still watching her mother almost warily, at her urging the girl sighed and sat down too. Her mother leapt to pour her a cup of tea, handing her a tiny china plate, one of the pieces left of Grandma’s ‘good dishes’ piled high with sandwich creme cookies. Amber tasted one. It was soft and stale. She couldn’t recall exactly the last time Mom had been well enough to make a grocery trip.

During the ‘party’ Mom was animated and overflowing with chatter, alternately talking in a posh British accent and snatching up Amber’s animals to do voices for them, constantly urging Amber to “smile! Oh sweetie, isn’t this fun?”

“Oh Amber, you’re still in your school clothes! You should put on a pretty dress! This is a special occasion, we’re having tea with Sparkles and Queenie!” she said, referring to the pair of stuffed unicorns. Amazing she’d remembered their names. “I don’t think I have any dresses, Mom.”

“Amber, Amber, I don’t understand girls these days. When I was your age I had so many! We had parties every month to entertain the girls…and the boys too, if you know what I mean,” she added with a wink and a high pitched giggle. “Oh! I know! How about your ballerina dress?”

Amber sighed, pushing her cup of cold tea away. “Mom, I don’t think the ballerina dress would fit me anymore.”           

Writing Prompts - Day 1

7 years ago

@Will11 I see you lurking down there. You know you want to write about a fabulous frilly tea party.

Writing Prompts - Day 1

7 years ago

I have no idea what a fabulous frilly tea party is :) I've just finished the story for your video game contest and came online to post it in the writing section :D

Writing Prompts - Day 1

7 years ago

Great, now you can write more by spending 20 minutes writing about a tea party.

Writing Prompts - Day 1

7 years ago

This is terrible but whatever. I only did 495 in the time limit, but I had to add a few more things to make it make sense afterwards.

---

Five girls around the table. From left to right: a duke's daughter, a foreign princess, a young marquess, the queen herself, and me.

The queen is a pretty young thing, dark curls and dark eyes, an imperious sneer she hasn't earned around her lips. Still, I have to begrudgingly admit her bearing is impressive. Her regent does the ruling, of course--she's fifteen and not yet fit for the weight of the crown--but even with the current state of the kingdom, being a member of her social circle is still a privilege worth killing for. I still don't know how my brother got me an invite to this little club.

I shift in my chair, conscious not to wrinkle my newly starched dress. The bodice keeps my spine straight, but I want to cower under the cool gazes of the noblewomen. I imagine how they must see me: a mousy, unbeautiful girl in faded pink satin, the lace trim ten years out of fashion. Nothing like the marquess's golden silk studded with pearls or the princess's perfect coifs that must have taken a servant hours to arrange.

I don't belong here. It's clear from even a casual glance, but they're too polite to say anything. So instead we sip our tea and eat tiny sandwiches and talk of light matters. The current plays, the unseasonal warmth, the latest fashions. Nothing about the peasant uprising, of course, or the crown's waning power.

I wrap my fingers around the handle of the teacup and lift it to my lips, and the steadiness of my grip surprises me. I sip. The touch of sugar and milk brings out the bright citrus of the bergamot. I haven't had tea this fine in years.

The queen leans over to the marquess and whispers something. They glance at me, and a smile curves the other girl's lips. I feel my face redden.

Well. I only have to endure a little longer.

I reach for the sugar across the table, and my hand passes near the queen's cup. She whispers something else to the marquess, and they titter in the way only noblewomen can, a light and refined sound that sounds mocking no matter what precedes it. She picks up her tea for another sip.

A few minutes pass. I sip my tea again, but my hands are shaking now, and I spill a few drops. The fine china teacup--worth more than my grandmother's entire shop, I'm sure--clatters against the saucer as I replace the cup. My heart races, but I'm not thinking of the gaffe.

The queen blinks, touches her throat. I watch. Her chest heaves laboriously, and she clutches her neck, clawing, but her face is turning purple. Everyone stares, nonplussed. A servant rushes to her aid, but she hits him in her flailing and slides off of her chair. The marquess screams.

The other girls leap to their feet and rush to the side of the queen. I rise and step back, try to fade into the background, but the duke's daughter is looking at me.

"You!" I freeze, but it's too late. She keeps going. "I saw you! I saw what you put in her drink!"

"I didn't do anything."

"I saw it! I wondered why a peasant like you was here!" Her voice climbs an octave, becomes a shriek. "You killed her!"

"I didn't--"

"Guards! Arrest her!"

I flinch, wait what feels like an eternity, but no guards come. I take a deep breath and smile. My brother has done his job, it seems.

She realizes it too. She blanches. "You killed her," she whispers.

I take a step towards her. "And if I did? Your father's men killed my mother when we couldn't pay our taxes. Seems fair, doesn't it?"

I take another step, and she stumbles back.

Without the queen, the regent's power will be broken. Finally our time has come. I draw the knife from my bodice.

Writing Prompts - Day 1

7 years ago

You came up with the whole tea party idea just so you could show this off, didn't you? Didn't you? We're on to your game.

Writing Prompts - Day 1

7 years ago

No, I was originally going to write about a crazy tea party where mizal chained all of her friends together and forced them to wear pretty dresses and drink tea for her entertainment, but then Bucky and Steve stole that idea, so I had to come up with something else. I totally thought about it for more than five minutes, though. :( I mean you gotta do something while you're walking to buy cupcakes.

Writing Prompts - Day 1 - in writing

7 years ago
You are cordially invited to an afternoon gathering, at Wellingtons Green, End of the world.

"My word Mrs Fumbleton, I must tell you this recipe. It is startling in its simplicity"

Clothed in her finest raiments, the recipient simpered and nibbled at her brie0and-ham sandwich, replying in soft Cornish vowels.

"I told you they were divine, Lady Bassingthwaite, and my thanks. In return, I heard the most scurrilous rumour about Earl Pyke the other day. Seems his kennels stand empty, even while his hounds hunt the streets for a fox!"

The curtains flap as if in a strong breeze, a suited servant hurries and fastens it down, securing it tightly..

Titters rose from the couches of the parlor-room, inhabited by the crust of society. Miss May, only recently delivered into their midst looked around nervously. Taking pity on the poor gel (only a shopkeepers daughter after all, hardly likely to know the intricacies of her betters. Still clutched and sheltered by lady Bassingthwaites cloak, even), Mrs Fumbleton leaned in.

"His men, his hounds as he calls them, seek an established accomplished wife to give him a deserving heir. His eldest son lays waste to the estate at a blackjack table, more thoroughly then he could ever accomplish in honest labour. Not that he comes within a days ride of that, no fear"

So saying, she drained the glass and gestured for another.

"And not so stingy on the gin this time, you wretched villain. Your health, sirrah", the gurgling repeated as it was refilled once more to the brim.

Lady Bassingthwaite tapped her own glass. "Indeed he does, and it is a shame. Idle hands are the workshop of the devil, or at least one of his lieutenants. Mrs Shropshire, kindly take Miss May and see what's keeping the chef from delivering us from idleness and starvation."

Smiling thinly at the two ladies bustling off in bustles, she sighed.
"Deligthful creatures in their youth, as engaging as a painting."

The hubbub of conversation continued, interspersed with the clink of cutlery and glassware. The merits of the dropnose bridle floated the air, with the new set holding sway but deferring to the wisdom of their elders. Miss may returned, stepping smartly to her host.

"The kitchen has .... is .... the chef has retired for the evening" Blushing furiously, she stammers through the sentence.

A silence descends, and threatens the flickering candle.

Mrs Fumbleton pipes up "No matter, we have more then enough to go around, and plenty squirreled. Be a dear and pull up a pew for yourself, there's a girl. Here's a biscuit and your shawl, quite a pretty one, your finest work so far. Why I remember when your looped stitch looked like a ploughman had done it, and blindfolded into the the bargain...."

Nattering on good naturedly, she herded the shaken young lady onto a divan and wrapped her in warmth and cheer, her conversation the most important blanket. Around the candle restored, keeping the people lit, keeping the abyss at bay. Cracks were still visible, plastered over with enforced joviality and in a pinch, by being steadily plastered by drink. Two servants moved a cupboard over the doorway, enforcing an architectural dictate mandating the dissappearance of the kitche, and the draughts coming from it's absence.

Lady Bassingthwaite & Mrs Fumbleton exhcanged a glance, and continued their roles. They had known each other for years, sharing the labours and hardship of life, love and society. here, they needed few words. Once miss May's shaking had subsided, they stepped out to the foyer, out of sight of the candle for a few moments, shielded from the gales they contained. A servant was sent off, and the butler Sir Wright, joined them.

"Bad?"
"Yes your ladyship. The kitchen came unhorsed with the ladies inside, only got ot the younger in time."
"Damnatinons Tim. I had known Adria since Roger was a boy." She sighed an paced. "No word?"
"No ma'am, none since the telegraph yesterday."

"Ridiculous contraption, I've always said so Elisabeth" Mrs Fumbleton said, wiping an invisible stain from her sleeve in an unconscious tic"
"Quite so, Claudette. Even so, we did what we could when the news came through. The question stands, what do we do now" Bassingthwaite said.

"If we had some more men, I'd say to roger them silly, put some joy in their hearts and parts" Fumbleton said.

Writing Prompts - Day 1

7 years ago

Sorry but gin is not tea, disqualified!

Was there an 'and then they all died' ending planned? Scurrilous perhaps, but, very appropriate.

edit: wait, you added more! oops, did I edit lock too soon?

Writing Prompts - Day 1

7 years ago
I am going to beat you silly.

CONTINUED!

"I know you wish to shock me, and keep my head clear of things best not thought, and I thank you but not in front of poor Tim's Ears" Bassingthwaite said.

Sir Wright chuckled. "Begging your pardon ma'am, but there's little Mrs Fumbleton coudl do to shock me. We served against Boney, she cleaned the laundry, and I did my best to get mud & blood on it"

"Ah, I had forgotten that. No matter, but a shame neither of your regiments are here. We stand alone, G_d help us" Bassingthwaite said.

A crunching sound interrupted them, and they rushed to the candles defence.

Eyes were rivetted to a corner of the room, where the first cracks were forming. A horrendous crunch sound echoed, and the firmly curtained windows were firmly flapping rags showcasing the scene beyond. Peels of hysterical shrieks issued from the room, echoed back by a solid wall of high volume vibrations. Beyond the tattered window frames, was a vista of eye-searing blankness, the light from staring at the sun in an unbroken unblemished slate, bordered only by the remaining structure. Structure that was visibly crumbling under such assault, and continued to advance.

"Claudette"
"Yes Elisabeth?"
"Hold my hand please"
"Certainly. Tim, take the baritone please. Hail, Britannia, Britannia rules the waves..."

The song was sung, the candle flickered out.

~100 words in 20 mins.

Writing Prompts - Day 1

7 years ago

Sooooorry, jeez. :P

Loved the second half though, it changed the entire thing. This is great, eerie stuff.

Writing Prompts - Day 1

7 years ago

I decided to do the previous ones, and work my way up to the current prompts. Here you are. 

Also, this is set in a modern world were super humans exist, so Blinkers are a group of people with the ability to teleport.

Four men sat at a table in a run-down home, and a swaying light bulb gave off a weak field of light, giving the entire room a grim and grungy feel.

"So, you all know why I brought you here to this 'tea party'" The first man said with a gruff voice. He wore a thick red jacket and spoke with a New York accent.

"Of course, boss!" A scrawny man rubbed his hands together, looking to and fro with shifty eyes. "To discuss the- "

"Shut up!" The Boss yelled slamming his fist on the table. 

The scrawny man flinched, and sat placid in his chair. "Yes, Boss."

"You see," The Boss looked at each of the remaining four men, nodding his head slowly. "We're gonna take out those dirty Blinks who keep showin' up on our turf!"

A portly teen raised his hand. "But Boss," he said, wiping sweat the from his brow. "How are we going to catch 'em? They always get away too fast." The kid frowned.

The scrawny man grins, his mouth stretching to both ends of his face. "Oh, tell 'em boss! Tell 'em!"

The Boss leans back, and lights a cigar, the glowing embers contributing light to the dim scene. "We fix 'em up with a bit of juice." The Boss says with a smirk, taking a draw from his cigar.

"Juice?" The teen leans forward, his frown shifting to a look of confusion. 

The forth man, sitting beside the chubby adolescent laughs. He cracks his neck, "We shock 'em kid! Give those dirty blinkers some juice!" He smiles, patting the kid beside him on the back. "We'll load the Blinks up with a few volts."

"And once they can't blip off away from us, we give those Blinks a little lesson." The Boss blows a cloud of smoke across the table.

308 words.