Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Throwing around sci-fi gadget ideas....

7 years ago

Hi. I'm currently writing a sci-fi storygame, and I just wanted a place where I could toss around some ideas and see how you guys like them. Maybe we might even collaborate to make a really awesome one, too.

7 years ago

Show the details of the story first. Then the people can consider.

7 years ago

Can you provide more info on the sci-fi storygame? :)

7 years ago

You are a former Navy Seal, who has a wife named Nora and a ten year-old daughter named Lily. It is the year 2020, and you have received an invitation to join the Starr Squad, a secret organization that fights crime for the shadows. There is a LOT of story line for it, because I've had this idea in my head for YEARS before I found this site. I can give you a list of some gadgets I've already come up with, if you would like.

7 years ago

Show me the toys.

7 years ago

I want to see the list of gadgets o-o

7 years ago

Bionic Exo-Suit

• ?Made of durable Plexi steel ( a strong metal that bends and moves easily )
  • resistant to most melee damage (may compromise if hit with more than 1 billion Newtons of force )
  • resistant to bullets and most armor-piercing rounds ( may compromise if hit enough times in a single area )
  • provides medium protection from lasers
  • visor allows for complete visibility and night vision
  • can transform into small paperweight (still in design process, cannot tell if person is still inside during transformation)
  • increased strength, speed and jumping distance
  • life support systems (ex. air filter for space missions )
  • extra ammunition storage
  • jetpack 
  • voice controlled ( user's voice is scanned into the suit to prevent anyone from using it other than the intended agent )

Fission Blaster

• vaporizes target on contact, using a simplified particle accelerator to split apart the atoms of nuclei
  • if fired at Bionic Exo-Suit,  suit will vaporize but protect host
  • ( declared unstable and unfit for field use until further testing )

Plasma Grenade

• emits a controlled explosion when detonated
  • renders all electronic devices in a ten mile radius usless

Handheld Teleporter?

• can teleport user anywhere on the planet Earth
  • requires EXACT coordinates of destination ( otherwise you may find your self encased in a brick wall )

Mine Runner Shoes

• a modification for the Bionic Exo-Suit
  • ?when activated, it deploys mines wherever the user steps
  • activated by touch
  • can be deployed onto any surface
  • only become active after shoe has left the ground, so that it does not explode while the user is standing
  • can be deployed onto a human

7 years ago

I wonder how the mines are stored.

7 years ago

That's a good question actually.....

7 years ago

If you can, try to make them sensible.

Some equipment might be impractical IRL, but you can make them work practically in fictions. But again, try to make everything seems sensible and logical.

Maybe... some sort of very small mines or something?

7 years ago

They're microscopic!

7 years ago

Extremely small mines that pack a big punch, huh? Okay then. But how do you deploy them?

Touching what button or something?

7 years ago

There is a sensor on the bottom of the foot that deploys a mine when it comes in contact with something. The mines can only be deployed once the shoe is voice activated. This does mean that if you are stupid and touch the bottom of your shoe while it's activated, you're going to get a mine implanted in your hand.

7 years ago

Voice activated? Hmm... seems a bit risky. A remote control on your arm would probably be a better choice.

7 years ago

Yeah! let me write that down...

7 years ago

It's a bad idea for deploying mines using voice command. Everyone will know your actions. And it's kinda awkward too. Best to keep it silent and remote controlled.

What about the weapons? :D

7 years ago

A magnetic holster on the back of the suit that you can stick your firearms to. It also has a cloaking device so that no one knows you have a weapon until you pull it out of thin air like a BOSS. Enemies can't aim very well when you pull a machine gun out of nowhere and catch them off gaurd.

7 years ago

100% invisible weapons on your back? Cool. But you better not to get anyone touch your back or sensored by security details.

Combined with augmented capabilities, carrying a machine gun should be easier than an average human can do.

However, it would be better if you have yourself a modular, multi-purpose combat primary weapon! Something that can easily be field stripped, and can be modified to fit the job. From assault rifle, automatic shotgun, to sniper rifle.

7 years ago

how about a rifle with an extendable blade? like a bayonnet

7 years ago

Hmm... you better stick with a separate melee weapon. But you can attach a blade to your weapon if it's necessary.

An extendable blade as a melee weapon. And your primary weapon is a modular rifle that can be modified extensively from an assault rifle to sniper rifle.

Sidearm? A pistol that can fire both lethal and non-lethal shots.

Umbrella fitted with magnetic shields and hidden shotgun is good too. Just like the one used by Kingdman agents.

7 years ago

Maybe a magnetic holster on the thigh for a shock pistol?

7 years ago

Okay.

7 years ago

So, it seems a billion pounds of force is like an insane amount, and a lot of this stuff just seems insane and in no way possible. A suit that can survive insane amounts of damage, has life support systems, a jet pack and a shit ton more, yet can collapse into a paperweight? That is just nonsense, and hugely breaks the suspension of belief.

The Plasma grenade's EMP radius also seems far too big, and the mine runner shoes seem like something a retro video game character would have. This stuff basically dances along the path of complete and utter nonsense.

7 years ago

To Fizz: I agree with Steve. I feel like your stuff is more worthwhile in the 100 years in the future or something. Best to stick with Kingsman agents stuff, Tom Cruise, or James Bond.

7 years ago
Personally, I'd think those gadgets would be more believable in a story set a bit further into the future than 2020...

7 years ago

Dude a billion newtons of force is fucking nuts. 

7 years ago

Yeah, maybe about 100,000 is more reasonable....

7 years ago

If you don't speak science, just screw all the scientific words and mention how the exosuit is very durable, but still doesn't make you invincible.

7 years ago

Maganade: Run out of bullets? The empty magazine can explode. Extra points if the Drum Magazine doubles as a mine.

7 years ago

you guys are awesome!

7 years ago

I think that the gadget ideas sound as if they are real and scientific as real gadgets.  I believe you should add a bit more science behind them to really show the reader that they were created by high technology. Make them believe that the gadget is helpful and you should also say what weaknesses and strengths of the gadgets. Maybe you should also share to the reader when and where the gadget works best. But other than that, I sounds really cool.

7 years ago

^ what this person said.

7 years ago

I'll take that! That's awesome!

7 years ago

A wrist gun might be a good idea. You can fire mini mines, electric darts, grenades, etc.

7 years ago

totally

7 years ago

A retractable metal "claw"-like arm that detaches from the Exo suit's back. It portrays a scan of light over the personnel, rendering them completely invisible to human eyes. The light that surrounds the person is extremely hot, so it makes an extra danger for counter melee combat to the stealth unit.

7 years ago

I like Mason's idea. Maybe it can make you look like a regular person or make you completely invisible.

7 years ago

Yeah. But I think you should make your guy to be more of Tom Cruise, Sam Fisher, or Kingsman agent, not Master Chief or CoD heroes. What you are imagining is just way too off the bat and too good for the current era.

7 years ago

I haven't seen any of those movies.

7 years ago

Fine then. James Bond.

7 years ago

Haven't seen that either. But I do have an explanation for all the tech.

7 years ago

Right now your character is brokenly overpowered. There's no reason for him to be scared when he can withstand the force one a claymore mine detonated right next to him.

However I love spy movies so I am willing to help.

Hybrid Kevlar Suit, gotta be covert. Wear a light weight stylish suit and jacket that can stop low power bullets.

Hidden non-metal camera, maybe in your eye? Non metal as to not set off metal detectors.

A standard accessory that works as a weapon. Maybe a watch that acts as a tazer?

High power laser pointer. Something that can cut through a chain link fence from a short distance.

Silenced pistol. James Bond was pretty sexy with one. 

Either way, your story takes place in four years, and most of your technology is more advanced than halo. I recommend toning it down.

7 years ago

You guys have been extremely helpful! I will take all of this into account when I write my story. I hope you enjoy it when it is published!