Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 8/19/2019: better anti spamming measures needed

Mini-Mods

7 years ago

As SlapSpan is currently showing in the forums (since he/she is spamming gibberish threads in the lounge with over 22 threads rights now), trolls can be quite annoying. They can be temporarily detrimental to the site if all of the mods are off the site or asleep at the time. In addition, our wonderful moderators have to deal with a significant amount of crap.

I propose that some (of our mature and trusted) users could be given partial mod powers. Specifically, they would have the abilities to delete posts and storygame comments. So, when somebody is spamming, there would be a significantly higher probability of stopping the problem quickly especially if at least one of these partial mods is active when the others aren't (such as one in a non-American time zone). During calmer periods, the partial mods would simply alleviate the time taken away by deleting cys' crap.

At the very least, this power would be a test to determine if the user can handle the authority properly.

Mini-Mods

7 years ago

Agreed. Just the ability to delete threads for a small circle of users (like an "honor circle") would be an effective way to get rid of trolls. If the user abuses it in any way, it can be stripped from them by regular mods. 

Mini-Mods

7 years ago
That'd work on a night-watchman system. As in their deletion rights are only active once specifically activated (such as during messes like this one), and that too potentially only for content released after they're activated (no deleting threads from the past). Otherwise, too many cooks would spoil the broth. Also, deletion should be their only power, and full time mods would ideally be able to reverse their deletes (to prevent misuse of authority).

Mini-Mods

7 years ago

Sorry that I can't take care of things at the moment -- I'm at work. This is an interesting idea.

Mini-Mods

7 years ago
This solution is now obsolete in the face of dedicated spam bots. Mini-mods are fine if spammers are humans using only one or a few accounts (like earlier today). A shift to a mechanized bot attack using disposable accounts will require a system to fight it, human intervention will be too slow.
E: That sounded more Civilization like than I'd intended

Mini-Mods

7 years ago

I'm am fairly certain that the SpamBot is just our angry spammer. In addition, the statistical probability of having Ryder unleash his "spambot" when Rainbow is spamming is nearly impossible. (Plus, he'd do it when there isn't another spammer so he could garner the most attention.)

Mini-Mods

7 years ago

How would Rainbow know about Ryder? Also, he could have just chosen now to do it to maximize chaos. 

Mini-Mods

7 years ago

(This seems to be a semi-derailment.) I'm fairly certain that Ryder has been referenced recently.

Mini-Mods

7 years ago
Ryder is the guy who once posted a video of himself 'hacking the site' using Inspect Element in his browser. It's probably best to take these kinds of claims with a grain of salt.

Mini-Mods

7 years ago

Thanks for the hate Mizal what names that it sounds Chinese 

Is that good grammar 

Mini-Mods

7 years ago

No, it's not. It's horrific.

Mini-Mods

7 years ago
Oh cute this is one of the kids from the Convict story school project plague.

Looks like he republished his story, so, free point available just FYI.

Thoward, your grammar and writing needs a lot of work for people to want to rate out higher than a 1, but that's what the Writing Workshop and various other resources on the site (and all over the internet, and at your school) are for, to help with that. You have to care enough about writing something good to want to use them, though.

There was also no reason to publish your story and put it up against every other story on the site, as I explained multiple times to your classmates. Your teacher should have known this from the beginning. The sneak peek option exists for a reason.

Mini-Mods

7 years ago

This needs to be a thing, and quickly.  As a daily user, I'd be willing to accept the responsibility needed to be a "mini-mod", and help keep CYS under a more firm defense against trolls.

Mini-Mods

7 years ago

killa is here!!! WE'RE SAVED

Mini-Mods

7 years ago

I don't think it's going to be enough. There is more than one, and a potential "spambot".

Mini-Mods

7 years ago
Naw, it's only one or two guys.

Probably just Ryder and his mom.

Mini-Mods

7 years ago

Oh good. Thanks :))

Mini-Mods

7 years ago

Nah, it's RainbowDick and Ryders "spambot."

Mini-Mods

7 years ago

Well. Didn't know Ryder was back.

Mini-Mods

7 years ago
Can mods even delete threads?

If they can, then it doesn't require coding to make a separate category of mod and I'm all for promoting a few people. Otherwise, seems the time could be better spent just plugging the obvious holes.

Mini-Mods

7 years ago

Wouldn't that just be making more, but shittier mods? I agree in the sense that people who could become mods in the future could be given this as a sort of test, but I think a change that wouldn't involve Mods having to get involved with everyone's bullshit would be to create a sort of council system, where members with a certain amount of points can vote to delete threads, comments, or posts, possibly with annotations giving a brief reason.