Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Health food or something idk

6 years ago
So one of my goals this summer is to GET BUFF. Or mainly just focus on eating healthier and exercising more with the goal of having more energy now that work has slacked off and I'm not just intermittently shoveling whatever requires the least amount of energy to procure into my face while half asleep.

Calorie counting I view as one of those things like no carb diets that are kind of for extreme situations and don't really work for if the goal is a healthy lifestyle and feeling better etc. in the long term, but I've decided to go ahead and start off with it, somewhere in the neighborhood of 1200-1600 calories a day. The thinking was it will help me be firmer about cutting out white flour and sugar and other sources of empty calories/literal poison and make me have to prioritize eating the most nutritious foods possible since it's all in small portions. It also should force me to do my own cooking so I know exactly what's in everything I eat, which I've been wanting to get back to doing again anyway. (Bonus points for saving money and not eating anything that some sullen slovenly teenager has been anywhere near.)

Today was the first time I actually wrote this shit down and it turns out it allows a lot more flexibility than I thought and I can basically eat whatever anyway, even when rounding up on calories to be safe.

Breakfast: Sausage egg and cheese taco, small apple A pretty normal and not especially healthy breakfast that still weighed in at under 400 calories.

Lunch: Mangonada. If you don't know what a mangonada is, simply put, it is the greatest and most delicious food ever invented by mankind. Possibly bestowed on us by the heavenly realms because it is just that damn good.

Like 300 calories but again, rounding up because the one I had today I didn't make I'm not sure how much mango exactly went into it.

Supper: The plan was a bomb ass turkey avocado BLT which would still leave me well below the limits I'd set, but the avocado was brown inside and so I just had some dry and boring turkey breast, with yellow squash and sugar snap peas. 200-ish calories and it tasted as sad as I felt. Avocado, why. :(

60 calorie pomegranate popsicle afterwards and I'm bored with this section of the post now so I'm not adding everything up.

Anyway you guys can use this thread to post recipes or pictures or chat about whatever you ate recently if that appeals to you at all. Or talk about fitness things in general, whatever.

As a side note I've been working far too much the last few months and not really following up on threads or PM discussions the way I'd have liked, with most of my access being through a tiny, shitty phone. I've been able to keep up with the site mostly because I literally replaced the Chrome icon on my screen with a link to the forums, and even then I could rarely feel more than a dull, weary contempt for you all every time I loaded up the index. I'm back to having a lot more free time and sleeping better now though and it's been lovely, my hatred for each and every one of you is once again sharp and laser focused.

Oh and since the idea is occasionally put forward once in awhile that I'm keeping the precious, precious children from blossoming into their true, talented selves by pushing them down in the mud and stomping on their heads, let's lay that myth to rest once and for all, shall we?

Aside from the Chaos contest (which most entrants bailed on) what's been accomplished here while I was semi-away and only semi paying attention? That's right, absolutely fuck and all, and everyone is as boring, useless, and incompetent as ever. Writing discussion is also at an all time low.

I can't say I'm surprised, except maybe by the fact that after all this time I still retain the capacity to be disappointed by CYStians and their repeated, unending failure.

Anyway, I'll be around more and getting more involved in reviewing and things again, and also I vaguely recall something about needing to publish six stories.

6 years ago

Today I cooked chicken mixed in salsa, a little hot sauce and crushed tomatoes, then I shredded the chicken in the crock pot a bit and put it in flour tortillas, added shredded cheese and sour cream to make chicken tacos.

Tomorrow I am going to take six big potatoes, stab them several times with a big ass fork, cut a slice out and wrap them in foil and cook them in the oven for about an hour, then add butter, bacon bits, chives in the cut I made. The heat kept in the foil will melt the butter and cheese if you wrap it back up and wait a few moments. Then add sour cream.

Thursday I'm just going to cook some lean hamburger, add Italian spices and a little olive oil in the pan, cook the pasta separately then when both are done, mix them together with tomato sauce and Parmesan cheese.

Friday I'll probably cut up a big steak shove the steak bits in an olive oiled pan, cook the meat until it's brown then add broccoli and cauliflower and cashews to cook along with it. Add soy sauce and stir fry sauce. Cook the Basmati rice separately. Mix the stuff together when both are done.

Saturday I'll just cook another chicken in barbecue sauce and cook some corn with butter.

Anyway, good luck on your quest to get buff.

6 years ago
End I'll ask you to be considerate and refrain from talking about giant potatoes with melted cheese and bacon and butter and sour cream in this thread because oh my god.

6 years ago

This actually sounds kind of useful. Particularly since people finding themselves to be consuming less calories than they think they do seems to be a common theme recently, and it may be something I'm a victim of. I just so happen to treat my stomach like a garbage disposal whenever the daily vitamin needs seem to be filled, and I'm still struggling to keep myself at that 8% body fat minimum that gym teachers keep telling me about. Maybe I'll start writing down some shit if I ever figure out how many calories are in the shit I throw together in the kitchen. Hopefully one day I'll have enough spare lard that my body won't eat any muscles I manage to develop.

6 years ago
Try myfitnesspal.com and whfoods.com. The former for planning menus/keeping track of calories and the latter for reading up on nutritional things beyond that.

WHFoods looks like ass and my phone has no idea what to do with it but it's a really useful resource. Lots of fruits and veggies have benefits aside from just vitamins and it goes pretty extensively into that and offers basic storage and preparation suggestions and things too.

6 years ago

Is there a section on mushrooms and onions? I keep slicing them up, throwing tons of the stuff in a pan, sautéing them, and then just throwing them in sandwhiches, over the tops of waffles, inside ravioli, mixed in with Ramen cups, and whatever other meal I can shove them into, then just continually hope that they have enough vegetable grease or whatever that I'll have calories to spare. Honestly I'm wondering if I'm better off just using syrup and barbecue sauce instead.

If phones have no idea what to do with WHFoods, then I'm probably going to be in the same boat now that I don't have the chrome book anymore.

6 years ago
Are you sure you don't have a tapeworm or something because you're listing lots of bread things here which leads me to conclude your metabolism makes no damn sense.

Try snacking on nuts and making sandwiches with avocados. Cook more things with beans. Or go buy a hamburger.

What kind of oil are you using?

E: the issue with browsing the site on my phone is that I can't zoom in or out, like at all. It's possible it may work for someone with a different, better phone though.

6 years ago

I dunno, it's fairly standard olive oil. Tasteless, smells good on popcorn, has bright yellow woodcarvings of European landscapes on the label. I don't remember the exact stats of the stuff.

I'm pretty sure it's less that my saliva would burn firewood and more that I probably have some sort of compulsive unintentional anorexia. Like, "Lunch? Well, shit, sure, but right now I REALLY wanna get some work done on this tabletop setting, I'll make lunch later." and then I'll end up just devouring literal pounds of food for dinner.

Then again, it still doesn't explain all the snack foods and salads I just casually eat while I do things and they still have seemingly no effect. If I lived nearer to Taco Bell or something, maybe I'd be that much closer to becoming a real boy. Oh, fuck, Taco Bell. BRB, now I want to make mushroom-onion Quesadillas because that sounds fucking glorious.

6 years ago
Sausage egg and cheese taco + small apple = 400 calories? what were they, 2oz each and 90% air? I think that calorie count is off by quite a bit for a sausage eff and cheese taco to be less than 400 claories.

I've sort of been eating healthier. Definitely been drinking healthy. Pretty much always have water now instead of soda or really anything else. Worked out a bunch last week. This week not going so hot for working out. Hopefully I'm getting back in the groove of it; trying out new workouts and routines.

Back to food one of the math majors brought a sandwich he claimed was really good when we were working on a long equation once that was taking a few of us all day. It was from subway: teriyaki, green bell pepper, red onion, salt/pepper, chipotle, swiss, all on italian w/cheese - toasted. So at first we were like "uhh teriyaki and chipotle???" but he gave us a piece and I gotta hand it to him - it was a good sandwich. I've had a few times since then because a subway is really close to my house and on the way home from school. He said if you can, ask for the veg to be toasted with the cheese - it tastes better that way. It tastes good the regular way too though and it's pretty healthy.

6 years ago
Tortilla = 120
3/4 oz sausage = 60
1 Egg = 80
1/2 slice cheese = 40
Cooking spray = 10
Apple = ~80

Though we can say 415 because it was probably a full ounce of sausage before I cooked it.

6 years ago
Yesterday I had a pizza. With sausage and pepperoni. With extra cheese. Oh yeah.

6 years ago

A sausage, egg and cheese taco for lunch? 

You disgust me.

6 years ago
For breakfast. Because they're called breakfast tacos. You just can't read at all, can you.

6 years ago

Fuck, that's even worse.

6 years ago
So in a biscuit it's fine but wrapped in a tortilla it's disgusting?

@Endmaster please ban this racist

6 years ago

Americans have a weird use of biscuit, so I don't know if that's OK.

6 years ago
Foreigners.

Ugh, okay, so this is a biscuit sandwich:

It is a biscuit, with breakfast things inside it. Meanwhile a breakfast taco is just eggs + whatever you want to scramble together with the eggs, wrapped in a tortilla. Here you usually get offered salsa or jalapenos with them.

*biscuit sandwich only shown as an example for the edification of the heathen. Biscuit sandwiches are not endorsed by the GET BUFF thread and are to be considered directly opposed to getting buff. Fight the White Flour. (Tortillas really aren't all that great either >.>)

6 years ago

That's what biscuit means in American English!? What do you call these then? -----> Legit Biscuits

6 years ago

Sweet biscuit → cookie in US English.

6 years ago

Yeah, AzBaz is dead on here. Those are biscuits. If you're lucky, you get the chocolate Digestive biscuits. But what Mizal is showing is objectively not biscuits.

6 years ago

You're from the motherland then too, squire? Chocolate Hobnobs all the way.

Edit: Nevermind, I just remembered your storygames had US spelling in them. *Mad World plays in background*

6 years ago
Yep, Steve is a proper Englishman, as British as they come.

I'm aware of the biscuit/cookie thing as well as chips/crisps, but what do you guys call what we call biscuits?

I mean I guess they are technically a kind of roll if we're going for a generic descriptor of an individual sized bread object, but they're also pretty distinctively different.

E: rolls might require yeast actually

E: just remembering Steve had never heard the term 'puree'. No particular reason to bring that up, just this is the food thread and also I hate him.

6 years ago

What you call biscuits are spoken of in hushed whispers over here. For that abomination, we have no name. 

(Idk, the top one looks like what's called a breakfast muffin and the bottom one is a wrap by the look of it. They actually look pretty tasty.)

Yeah, your 'chips' are a common source of outrage on the delicate shores of the UK, as well as the weather (if you're above 45 and hate your life and want other people to hate you). Another thing some people don't like is how you use 'British' and 'English' interchangeably. I say who gives a shit? 

E in response to E: Crappy English Food <--- these are what we call bread rolls. Also, that's weird. Tomato puree is pretty common here if you cba to order a pizza and want to make your own.

6 years ago
http://www.food.com/recipe/southern-buttermilk-biscuits-26110

You should make some, they are so tasty.

6 years ago

The 5 star rating agrees. These actually look like scones, The Most British Thing Literally Ever Since The Fucking Tophat.

Edit: I guess two different cultures are bound to come up with similar foods, or maybe we stole them off you or vice versa who knows.

6 years ago
Oh, interesting. Yeah that looks really similar, except for the sugar and vanilla you add. That's even got the tip about using lemon juice in the milk, that's what my grandma always did. Buttermilk's not hard to find in a store but it's not something you really keep on hand unless you're making biscuits or pancakes every day.

Biscuits you eat with butter and jelly or honey, but also with savory meals like the picture, or with country gravy or just as a side with fried chicken. I've made some with shredded cheddar and jalapenos baked in and I'm sure there's other variations too.

I went ahead and googled the history of them after biscuit chat here, and I guess for a long time they were specifically a Southern thing: http://www.southernliving.com/bread/biscuits/southern-history-of-biscuits-video

I've never been sure what scones look like, just seen them mentioned in Extremely British works of fiction.

6 years ago

Haha, jelly's another one. You call this 'Jello', right?

That sounds delicious. Jalapenos are good with most things.

There's also heavy rivalry between people who pronounce it (phonetically) 'sc-own' and 'sc-on'. It's probably sparked a few civil wars sometime in the past. 

6 years ago
Ooh right I read a forum fight on the jelly thing awhile back, on a different site.

That's Jello, sort of. Jell-O is technically a brand name but it's everywhere and been around forever so it's just the word for 'gelatin dessert' now.

Jelly is made pretty much the same as jam but made just with the juice. We have preserves too which I think is just jam with more fruit crammed in.

6 years ago
Oh and as long as we're doing this, explain what you people mean when you say 'pudding'. Is it just a catch all term for dessert or do you really eat that much fucking pudding?

6 years ago

On behalf of we people, pudding is just all dessert. In my mind, it feels more like it's describing stuff like cake with hot custard, though I might just be biased from my days of getting through a cold winter's night after a hard day of sweepin' chimneys gov'na.

This is a cover up. We actually just eat pudding all day, everyday. Enough pudding is never enough. We cannot be sated. Hide your pudding, and hide it well, petty Americans. We are coming...

6 years ago
Okay but...but what about, you know, actual pudding?

Jell-O also makes pudding mixes, in addition to the jello ones actually.

[IMAGINE YOUR FAVORITE JELLO PUDDING RAPE MEME HERE I'm too lazy to put it in for you]

Anyway I see you anticipated my next question. Extensive research has shown me everyone in your country is either a chimney sweep, orphan pickpocket or elitist snob, I was wondering which you were.

6 years ago

Yeah, that's a pudding. All desserts are welcome under the umbrella term 'pudding' in the UK, and even some deserts to maintain biodiversity and encourage hardcore ecotourism. It's all pudding man, why put a label on it? 

Ah, you'd be wrong to think that answers your question. I actually fall neatly into the elitist snob archetype (anyone south of Stockport is by default and you have to work in the mines (or, as they say, "t'pits") for 5 years to rid yourself of the title if you're really that desperate to be poor and scummy). I just enjoy dressing up as a variety of ragamuffins in my spare time and seeing how the other half live, you know? I'm sure I'll get bored soon enough and go back to burning money in front of crippled beggars as per usual. God, being human is hard:/

I'll stick to my nicey nicey vanilla memes; I don't want to know what that is. Good ol' Harambe never caused PTSD.

6 years ago
Oh and the rape meme thing is because Bill Cosby used to be the guy doing all the commercials for Jell-O in the 80s and 90s. There are many, many jokes now.

6 years ago

I’m guessing you’re English if you don’t care if English and British are used interchangeably.

Scottish and the northern Irish people (As opposed to the southern white trash Irish) seem to get a lot more irritated if you call them British. Get even madder if you call them English.

6 years ago

Yeah, though there's some Welsh mixed in there and a dash of Canadian to mix it up for some reason (crazy night with a moose and a sheep somewhere down the heritage line is my best guess).

There's quite a lot of tension between Ireland and England especially, though you get it in the Highlands and Wales too. It's mainly just old people bearing grudges over Thatcher's experimentation with taxes on Scotland and stuff even dating back to people like Cromwell, and old people over here just not liking anyone not English since WW2. Hence, *shudder*, Brexit.

6 years ago

Fuck off, Brit. We still remember your Black and Tans, and we are not pleased.

6 years ago

Ah yes. To be fair, I am personally responsible for all of the sins of my people. Excuse me while I go top myself! Irish then? 

6 years ago
In America we don't say it like 'personally responsible for the sins of your people', it's just called 'being white'.

6 years ago

Damn right Irish, born to one of the greatest countries on Earth!

6 years ago

Both of those, and you, disgust me.

6 years ago
Okay so after finally weeding the garden after having neglected it for so long, I found and picked enough lettuce, mustard and swiss chard for several days worth of salads. I also found the jalapeño and tomato plants that I knew I'd planted but had lost track of. It won't be long before the green tomatoes are big enough for frying and there are tons of tiny peppers. Sadly, with all the rain we've had everything else was shaded out by weeds or else the seed just rotted in the ground. Oh well, maybe next year.

As far as sugar goes, I've never really had a sweet tooth so I don't even buy that junk. Also, (as far as I'm concerned) fast food is generally undercooked, tasteless and contains more salt per bite than I probably use in a week cooking for myself so I've quit even going to most places. Subway is about the only place I even bother with anymore and only when I'm away from home.

Most things I cook are in big pots and enough to feed the average family for a week, but I'm a hog and it doesn't last me more than three days (if I'm lucky). I've always had a high metabolism (probably from working at a run for most of the day and not being able to sit for more than fifteen to twenty minutes at a time) and have never had to worry about gaining weight. I'm not looking forward to having my cholesterol checked, though. With all the fried food I eat, they'll probably have to name a new scale after me.

6 years ago
Sounds like we need you send you over to cook for Sent!

But guys who work constantly need to eat massive piles of food. It's when someone who sits in front of a desk all day instead still wants the same portions of high energy foods as if they were going to go out and spend ten hours plowing a field that leads to all the health problems now. Seems to be a matter of culture just not catching up with the major lifestyle changes of the last generation or two.

Not a big fan of Subway but I guess it's preferable to most fast food. About the only place I go is Dairy Queen, because it's right on the way home and I'm addicted to crushed ice.

And jeez, don't even remind me of my sad little garden. :( If the humidity will let up just a little I'd like to get out and clean up the area and put something out there for fall, but lol, at the beginning of the year I said that about summer. (Had all kinds of incentive too, with Mexico going full Mad Max over the guzzoline and no one in town able to get produce a few days...)

Getting a garden ready is a pretty good work out in itself, but I guess it's a little early still.

6 years ago

Sorry for shitposting you mizal

6 years ago

Oof, mangonada. I love the fruity part but the whole tamarind thing always screws me up. Like, I don't want that stuff on my goods! Although tamarind soda is to die for.

The other day I waited for my Super White step-father to leave and I booted up the stove and threw a pan on that sucker. I splashed in some olive oil and cooked up a ton of spinach, sausage slices, bell peppers, mushrooms and zucchini while jamming to whatever K-Pop my sister was blasting (I think it was Ladies Code albumn? I dunno these things). Then, I tried my hardest not to burn my cous cous and mixed that and everything previously mentioned together. I plopped on the couch with a big bowl of the stuff and ate it with my sis while watching Area 88 on the praystation (Kazuma has beautiful, sad hair). Absolute heaven. Later, we were yelled at for the disappearance of our only zucchini.

To be honest I've been super worried 'cos I'm preparing to room with a friend before I head off to Nerd School and we'll be really poor. Like, I'm used to it and all, but when I close my eyes and picture what I'll be eating for the next two years, all I get Nissin Instant ramen. I can deal with it, but I dunno if my body can, so now i'm trying to come up with cheap meal ideas that won't clog our hearts.

6 years ago

Preparing to room with a friend? How old are you?

6 years ago

Just graduated highschool, been saving up money since the dawn of time (although I've had to pitch in for groceries/rent/whatev so that's sucked my savings a bit). The commute to school is pretty bad and moving out would be best for me anyways, even if my frail body collapses from lack of nourishment.

6 years ago

Shit, you are far older than I thought you were.

6 years ago

Do I sound like a 12-year-old boy?

6 years ago

I thought 11 yr old girl.

Hang on, you are a girl, right?

6 years ago

Yep yep. 

I think a while back everyone thought I was guy 'cos of my Lucas profile pic (WALL STAPLES!)

6 years ago
Chamoy sauce I guess is an acquired taste, I don't really eat it on anything but mangos. But a couple of splashes and it's sweet and salty and sour and just a little bit spicy all at once, it is pure heaven for the taste buds.

The sausage stuff sounds really tasty, but cous cous is still considered fancy health food here going by the way it's priced. I've used it for cucumber tomato and tabouli salads and things after stealing recipes from an aunt in California, but for a stir fry I'd have gone with rice.

Actually that reminds me of something my mom would always just call 'german stir fry'. In theory it was supposed to be just sausage with cabbage, garlic, onions, and potatoes, but we'd substitute rice for potatoes a lot of the time and usually throw in whatever random vegetables were handy.

And that's the secret to eating cheap. Lots of rice and vegetables. If you're not held back with considerations about the evils of starches, even better, rice/potatoes/pasta/bread is filling and stupidly cheap.

LOL, actually I could suggest some recipes if you want them, though I'm not sure where you are/where you're going and food prices vary wildly state to state. I've been told food is really affordable here compared to other places, and I've never been exactly sure why because there are so many weird scenarios where food can like, be trucked here from California, and yet even after the price of transport we still pay quite a bit less than they do for the same stuff grown right in their state.

A couple general guidelines though:

1.) Invest in some spices and a crockpot or dutch oven. Soups are tasty and filling and cheap and healthy, and the crockpot will be your best friend and do your cooking for you while you're sleeping/away/playing video games, but a dutch oven is maybe a little more versatile in exchange for needing supervision. Don't skimp on the spices, if it's something you know you're going to use, the bigger bottles are always cheaper by the weight and it'll be a long time before you have to think about replacing them.

2.) Instant noodles are for lazy reprobates. Better even to resort to hamburger helper sans hamburger or a box of mac n cheese before sinking this low. Oatmeal, cream of wheat, grits etc are also superior options and dirt cheap. (Buy the big canister of oatmeal, not the individually portioned ones.)

But contrary to popular belief, it is possible to eat real, healthy food even while poor. The trick is kind of similar to the spices in that you buy in large quantities and cook big pots of things that'll last a few days. Like, what's in ramen noodles? Noodles and broth and dangerous amounts of sodium. Buy a giant bag of egg noodles or rice instead, some bouillon cubes or broth, a couple family sized bags of frozen veggies, and you've got the basis for all kinds of soups and casseroles and skillet meals and it's just a matter of using different spices and whatever meat happens to be on sale to mix them up.

Fun trivia: frozen vegetables are fresher and usually contain more nutrients than 'fresh' produce. This is because they're flash frozen right after being harvested, while the stuff in the produce section can sit around in warehouses and things days or even weeks before being shipped out to your store.

I have a base recipe that I guess is similar to gumbo; just rice, frozen okra, onion and tomato and then just seasonings and a little bit of literally any kind of meat, or else yellow squash/whatever else and a spoonful of curry paste for a vegan version. Mix up a couple packs of cornbread mix and you've got a huge pot of tasty filling food that cost almost nothing.

Also, there's the tried and true simple pot of slow cooked pinto beans which are sooo tasty with cornbread.

3.) You are not too good to shop at Wal-Mart or buy store brand. Maybe this wasn't necessary to include, but just tacking it on at the end here because it's really stupid the number of people on the internet who have a fanatical hatred towards them and I guess want them all to go away so that broke people can no longer afford necessary things.

Me though, I AM too good to shop at Wal-Mart (except for in June when fresh corn is 10 cents an ear...) I shop at HEB which I'm not sure exists outside of Texas, and and beef and pork and especially chicken will go on sale regularly. When chicken thighs drop to 99 cents a pound I stock the fuck up on as many will fit in my freezer because you can use those for everything.

Oh, and eggs are another good cheap food. If nothing else eggs + bread is a filling meal all on its own, and obviously they have lots of uses in general cooking, plus you can use them to stretch out lots of other foods such as leftover veggies and the like. (I pay a little more for mine because they're farm eggs, but I buy a few dozen at a time from my manager out of pity because she's always like 'i have 11 dozen I don't know what to do please help' so I know a zillion and one ways to use them up.)

And if worse comes to worst and you guys get like, really desperate, I mean more than just comically so, there's always the option of just going to the closest food bank and go 'yo I need food', or actually apply for assistance or something. It's really difficult to go hungry unless you have something mental going on or whatever that prevents you from making use of the literally free food that is available to anyone who needs it.

And of course it sounds like you're already pretty experienced with cooking and budgeting so maybe all of this is no brainer stuff, but I've been reading blogs and things about single guys who have pretty obviously nerve never cooked or witnessed anyone cooking before attempting budgeting challenges and face palming a lot at the garbage they'll consume.

6 years ago
I like food.

6 years ago

Seriously, do not shop at Walmart for food, it's fucking gross. At least go to a proper grocery store.

Buying store brand can be hit or miss. Yeah it's usually cheaper by a few cents, and sometimes the quality is just as good (Like cereal for example), but sometimes it really sucks.

Bought store brand pasta once thinking there wasn't going to be much difference because it's fucking pasta right? But there was, there was a lot of difference. Ugh.

6 years ago
I'll buy store brand stuff at HEB because they make it all in San Antonio and it usually is as good as name brand, but there's certain things where it really doesn't matter. I have family in California who will still travel really far out of the way to pay three times as much even for shit like cooking oil and sugar.

That said, I have no idea how even Walmart manages to fuck up dry pasta.

6 years ago

Dude, like, thank you so much. That's super helpful. I'm just some confused, sorta brown youth, wondering what the heck everything costs, but I do believe a crockpot is in order. And I never knew cous cous was a fancy dish! I grew up with tajine dinners, hot and homey with whatever we had around. 

I'll actually be living really close to a farmers market, so I'll be sure to check out there. I don't have any beef with Walmart, except for its disturbing ambiance. I dunno what it is with the place! Maybe it's the lack of windows.