Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

Which Books Speak to You?

8 years ago

Everyone knows when they find a book that seems to understand you, that seems to be like your life story. For me these books were Eleanor & Park and Looking for Alaska. What are yours? Come on guys, bookworms know exactly what I mean. 

8 years ago

Ah, yet another warrior cats fan.......*tsk tsk*

Just kidding! (Even though you are -_-)

8 years ago

Hmm. Probably... The Bully, Freak The Mighty or Eragon.

8 years ago

What about Eragon spoke to you, Zag?

8 years ago
Ugh, I hated that book - couldn't read beyond the first chapter.

8 years ago

The audio book has the intensely questionable decision of having the male reader trying to do a gravelly female voice for Saphira. 

8 years ago
That sounds cringe worthy. The writing just annoyed the heck out of me - too loose and sloppy with excessive adjectives and adverbs.

8 years ago

To be honest I couldn't get through the first chapter either. Probably cause I'm lazy.

8 years ago

I think most ppl who like Eragon are comparatively new to fantasy literature.

There's a lot of books like that- if it's the first one of its kind you read, the genre cliches seem new and and exciting (there's a reason things become cliche, after all.) 

8 years ago

Reading the entire series when I was younger, I absolutely loved the series. It's definitely appealing to the younger audience, and I was a huge fan at one point. Looking back on it now, my love for it has waned somewhat, but I'll always remember Eragon as my first real "favorite" series.

8 years ago

I like how he was determined to help out his people.

8 years ago

Aren't most protagnoists?

8 years ago

Hm. I guess so. But I probably liked Eragon more because it was one of the first fantasy stories I read.

8 years ago

Never read it. Tried to read the story in Barnes & Nobles but I had to go to an appointment.

8 years ago

Ah, yes. I think we can all relate to being a gigantic retard who carries someone around on their shoulders.

8 years ago

Hmm.  Lots of books to choose from.

I'll say "Pale Fire," "Fangirl," and "The Last Unicorn."

8 years ago
The Last Unicorn is on my way-too-freaking-big reading list. Do you have anything to say about it that would bump it up on the list?

8 years ago

I don't wanna oversell it- you'll just be disappointed. Also, I've pretty much lost the ability to explain things coherently.

For me it's always going to be influenced by the fact that it was the first film I ever saw that didn't have a "happy ending."   You always invest memory with significance, but the way I remember it now was absolutely devastating, in a good way.  

Every time I re-read it, I identify with different characters.  I feel differently about the people and the story as my life experiences change, but I always feel like it's true. 

I guess that's what saying a book "speaks to me" means: When I read it, I feel like this writer understands something about what it's like to be me. 

8 years ago

Mine would probably have to be Promise of the wolves.

8 years ago

The OutsidersTo Kill A Mockingbird, and Steelheart (The Reckoners series) really grabbed and held my interest. But the best one that spoke to me the most is probably Racing in the Rain.

8 years ago

'A good man is hard to find' by Flannery O'Connor.

8 years ago

Srsly, turbo?  What about it?

8 years ago

Or maybe even, Of Mice and Men.

8 years ago

The advetnures of Alfred Kropp was a good James Patterson book. That book spoke to me the most.