Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

VHS Generation Loss

7 years ago

VHS generation loss is the act of copying a video on a VHS tape onto another VHS tape, resulting in the degradation of the copied video. Copy the copied video onto another tape, and the video degrades even further. A more in-depth analysis of generation loss.

Here's some VHS generation loss videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8GOcB6H0uQ {Seizure Warning: 1:11-1:46} [Original Video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mES3CHEnVyI [Original Video]

If you find any VHS generation loss videos, be sure to put them in this thread!

VHS Generation Loss

7 years ago

This is basically what happens to people as they get old. Shit just starts deteriorating until you die. Lol.

Guess making copies of our future clone soldiers might work the same way. By the 8th generation, they're pretty much only good for pointing them in the general direction of the enemy and using them as bullet shields or mine detectors.

Anything further than that and they're not even coming out completely human looking anymore. By the 16th time, they're just coming out from the cloning vats as blobs of flesh gibbering and screaming madly.

Anyway, not sure what sparked the interest in this, but here. Same thing but in reverse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lG_JU5l_9Q

VHS Generation Loss

7 years ago

I attribute it more to the degradation of a long-distant memory. An event loses its relevancy and truth as time goes by, with attempts to recall the event are now blurred with some parts blurred or cut-out, and eventually the memory completely fades away from the recesses of the mind, lost to time forever.

I've been browsing broken VHS tape videos and their degenerative effects on the video itself, and I stumbled across this. I thought it was an interesting experiment, and I thought I'd show it to the community here.

But anyways, thanks for sharing the video. I'm disappointed that they didn't go into further generations, but I guess they only had 13 tapes at the time of recording.

VHS Generation Loss

7 years ago
Yeah, what an entirely odd thing to bring up haha! But same thing happens with your DNA, each time your cells split, the little buggers get a little shorter.

VHS Generation Loss

7 years ago

The same thing can be done with uploading a youtube video and re-uploading it multiple times. Only it takes many more generations to get anything weird. But the end result is some really creepy/cool shit.

VHS Generation Loss

7 years ago

More interesting experiments! Thanks for sharing!

VHS Generation Loss

7 years ago

These videos were intriguing to watch.

VHS Generation Loss

7 years ago

Reminded me of the creation myths for some reason. ^-^

VHS Generation Loss

7 years ago

In 10 or so centuries, this will happen to most of the internet we have today. In 10 or so billion millenia, this will happen to the universe. Astley to Astley, and dust to dust. Such is life.

VHS Generation Loss

7 years ago

And humanity. ^_^

VHS Generation Loss

7 years ago

I guess that explains why Limp Bizkit was ever a thing. Who knew his music was actually amazing?!

VHS Generation Loss

7 years ago

Too true. Despite humanity's best attempts to preserve material and the advent of the internet and it's large database of information storage and size, as well as much better ways of preservation, nothing can truly halt the prospect of deterioration.

VHS Generation Loss

7 years ago
Yep, which is why the best defense is in redundancy - make many, many copies of the same thing so that some will survive. Life in general follows that principle.