Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Timewasters

3 years ago
Probably been a while since any of us played incredibox. It's gained 5 versions since I last thought of it.

V.3 feature (the one most are familiar with)
V.4 feature
V.5 feature
V.6 feature
V.7 feature
V.8 feature

Rabbit hole websites like tvtropes can kill a few days but I find wikipedia makes it easier to get lost in the sauce. Their list of conspiracy theories goes pretty deep.

There's a website called iwastesomuchtime which is basically mizal-tier family friendly memes that go on forever. Useful for distracting mothers.

and then there's online games like little alchemy (has darkmode), this is sand, archive.org's oregon trail which could easily kill a few months.

Thread for sharing internet time wasters.

Timewasters

3 years ago
Well played on that last link. NOT THAT I HAVE EVER MADE AN ACCOUNT, but this Flight Rising game seems a little addictive to those into that kind of thing. Basically Neopets with dragons, if anyone here is old enough to even remember Neopets. You can breed billions of color and gene combinations, dress them up, and collect rare loot in the coliseum. Regular updates with new things being added, and the economy is remarkably well balanced for this kind of game and there's no need to ever pay for the premium currency, it's really easy to get just through normal play. Or so I've heard from others. Really just bringing it up because I know there's a lot of bored kiddos hanging around. oh and there's Inspirobot of course.

Timewasters

3 years ago

I can vouch for inspirobot. It's kind of mindblowing when it generates something actually inspiring too.

Timewasters

3 years ago

You heard it here first, folks. All Pisces are Sodomites, and the blood of their Sodomy will pour down upon them when they open an umbrella.

Timewasters

3 years ago
Sounds legit to me

Timewasters

3 years ago
I got someone here into Flight Rising.

Really REALLY into it.

It feels good to finally not be alone. Not only that, I can shake my head at her autism for glittery rainbow encrusted dragons which is so much worse than mine.

Timewasters

3 years ago
Skybreak still continues to be a really fun game.

Timewasters

3 years ago

holy crap I remember my in 5th Grade my music teacher showed us Incredibox for the first time.

Timewasters

3 years ago
Everyone please waste the 18 minutes needed to listen to this. It is inhumanly good no matter how much you may hate the franchise itself.

Timewasters

3 years ago

Speaking of time wasters, there's Fallen London, where you read stuff, making choices that increase stats and unlock new choices. It is pretty big from what I know, and the setting is unique. I believe the system they made it with was once usable by anyone, so people could make their own versions, but that wasn't successful.

I bring it up because they also have a game (that still has very similar reading, but also some exploration) called Sunless Sea. It's the same unique setting. It is being given away for free on Epic Games Store (so grab it if you aren't one of the haters and/or already have the game).

Timewasters

3 years ago
Fallen London gets really annoying at the point it starts forcing interaction with other players to progress.

Timewasters

3 years ago
Yeaah, as someone who went through Fallen London twice only to break my teeth on that stage - there's also no way to meet anyone during this game so you rely on people you know. Plus at roughly this stage you get cockblocked left and right by paid stories.
I also find RPing somewhat limited? There's no way to progress while not being thrown out of court for example. What if I don't want? It's a pretty lousy MMO and not much of an RPG.
But the writing is great.

Timewasters

3 years ago
Ah, that's unfortunate. I just (mostly) remember the good parts (likely in the earlier sections).

Going to war with rats who have infested my home.

Visiting a Tomb Colony because I've...raised some stat too high, maybe crime? Or I died, not too sure, but I got to go back to London eventually.

Trying to hunt some monster as my Grand Ambition. I recall there being a path amid spiky mushrooms (or something), and as I walk this trail I'd get distracted by the magnificent view of the city (or some body of water), and thus get all stabbed up by the shrooms, causing me to have to try again (my stat wasn't the best for this skill check).

Anyway, playing Sunless Sea is reminding me a bit of that, so I guess my biggest concern is if the game part will get in the way of the experience, rather than enhancing it. At least there is no candle that limits my actions (so far).

Timewasters

3 years ago

The constant shakedowns for microtransactions really turned me off Fallen London. Like, I get the whole thing was a proof of concept to make actual games, but it makes for a really grating experience in the actual minute-to-minute gameplay. 

Sunless Sea is great, however. 

Timewasters

3 years ago
Of course everyone knows about People of WalMart, but there's so many "sister" sites now that you can really get lost over there...

Timewasters

3 years ago
Thinking of the kids again, there's some elaborate mobile dress up game called Love Nikki Fashion Queen or something Engrishy like that. It has some vague RPG elements and it was something that would pop up a lot on those lists for phone games that don't absolutely require you to spend money to progress.

I kept it installed for few weeks and there were pretty regular events and these lighthearted completely nonsensical scenarios where every form of conflict in the kingdom was resolved with a fashion duel.

Seemed like more was possible than just the story campaign though, they had daily freebies and weekly themed outfit contests with voting and things, and some kind of guild system. Some people seemed into it to an unhealthy degree.

But as you can see by the wiki, when I say elaborate, I'm not kidding.

Of course this could easily turn into another free game/mobile game thread, but I feel like certain ones just deserve the title of 'timewaster' more. The kind you look back on on your deathbed and regret.

Timewasters

3 years ago
Powder Toy is so much fun. I don't even know what I'm doing, I'm just swiping around making colored particles appear. It's oddly relaxing.

Timewasters

3 years ago
I've found myself pulled back into my Adventure Capitalist addiction the last week or so and it's a great game to kill some time. Or take up all your time depending on how much you like seeing the numbers go bigger and then buying stuff to make the numbers go even bigger so you can buy more stuff to make the numbers go even more bigger and so on and so forth.

Timewasters

3 years ago
Numbers going up?

Tell me more.

Timewasters

3 years ago
It's basically an idle game themed around being a capitalist and buying businesses to make money to buy more businesses. Pretty fun and gives you something to do when you've got a minute free and there is just always more shit to buy. Plus you can start doing space capitalism on the Moon and Mars when you make enough money.

Timewasters

3 years ago
Not really a fan of idle games, I think I've only played two I've ever liked and still got burned out. Space capitalism though, that's tempting. Although I generally only have room for one time waster in my life and that's the discord.

Timewasters

3 years ago
*goes home to do taxes, ends up discussing the logistics of building scale armor out of chocolate bars again*

Timewasters

3 years ago

I need to see these logistics for........research purposes.

Timewasters

3 years ago
Idle Games Rant:

If you like AdCap, there are a lot of good idle games. I found adcap to be one of the better popular idle games since most of the big ones absolutely suck.

I've played a little of city inc, which I hear is the best of the adcap clones, it might even be better than adcap itself, but can't confirm.

My favorite idle game is trimps. You have 4 major resources, food, wood, metal, and science, and use them to buy things for your trimps. Early game food and wood are used to make housing for more trimps, and metal is used to make better weapons so that your trimps can get better stats so they can fight their way through zones for your benefit. Among idle games it definitely pushes what people think the genre is, and despite it not being as big as some of the other games, it has a discord of around 3000 members.

NGU idle is also really good. It is an idling to rule the gods clone, and it really tries to differentiate itself. Also when I say clone, I mean games which clearly drew inspiration from others and copied some of its core mechanics. But NGU idle also has an adventure mode where you fight enemies and get gear. A lot of people consider this the real game of NGU idle. There are also a lot of other mechanics I don’t really want to spoil.

Clicker heroes is an interesting one. On one hand it is pretty simplistic, but on the other I find it pretty enjoyable to leave it on and check it every once and a while. If you decide to play it I would recommend using the ancient calculator when you ascend and outsider calculator when you transcend. That may seem like a lot of work, but it will make numbers go up faster. There is a lot of rules of thumbs that I learned from the clicker heroes discord, so I’m used to making numbers go super speed, but you don’t have too. As far as would I recommend it, it really depends on the player. If you want to be able to always do things to make numbers go up and don’t like it when the idle game forces you to be idle (like me) then you might not enjoy it once you get a little far into it. But if you don’t mind waiting a bit, which seems to be the case since you like adcap, you might enjoy it.

Now cookie clicker. No. Do not play this abomination. It is a garbage game and I hate what it has done to idle games as a whole. If you want to play something like it idle wizard is a really good cookie clicker clone. It also has a really big discord like all the ones I’ve mentioned so far with the exception of city inc, snd I enjoyed it for the bit I played it

I’m sure I could rant for thousands of words about good incremental games and what makes them good, I have played most of the big games in the genre, but I’ll stop here. I am fully aware that you probally won’t try any of these games, but I figured this is a good place to collect my thoughts. My number one suggestion is trimps, but if you find that too active then clicker heroes or city inc might be more your speed.

Links:

http://cityinc.se/#/
https://trimps.github.io/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1147690/NGU_IDLE/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/363970/Clicker_Heroes/
https://store.steampowered.com/app/992070/Idle_Wizard/

Timewasters

3 years ago
Oh boy, so blame Amrita for this one, but Hero Machine still exists and still works. It's probably about as old as CYS is, and Flash is dead and gone, but at a glance there's still very recent updates mentioning contests and things so despite all odds it's still kicking. Just download the offline Flash player here: Adobe Flash Player Offline Installer Install and run, go to File > Open, and plug in http://www.heromachine.com/hm3/heromachine3.swf for the URL. I don't know what to say except designing the people is fun as heck, and they've got a lot of options for monsters and sci fi characters too. Note it's not possible to use the Export button to convert the files to images when using it offline, but I'd hope everyone here knows how to crop a screenshot.

Timewasters

3 years ago
lol the toy dinosaur

Timewasters

3 years ago
Alternative Flash Player - go here and Download the Flash Player projector content debugger - https://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/debug_downloads.html - open it and put in url