Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Rewriting the lore: Werewolves

4 years ago

Everyone sees werewolves as hostile, alien creatures. We see them in film, read about them in books and yet the same weaknesses apply: Silver, Decapitation and True Love. This is how i would see a 21st century werewolf:

Immune to Silver

Cold hearted

Can be killed via Rickroll (if writing a comedy)

Can be killed via high explosives (Action, Drama)

Can only be killed by something more powerful than itself (Horror, Eldritch Abomination, Loch Ness etc)

THIS is how it's usually written:

True love saves

weak to silver

Weak to guns

and on and on. This is 2019 and werewolf lore must adapt to the times. Instead of having it be in pain during the transformation, turn it into a psychotic freak that loves pain. Instead of silver, have it be weak spitballs but immune to high caliber weapons.

Example: John was cursed to be a werewolf, a demon of the night. He was immune to silver and bullets and got off on the transformation, which was painful to some, but an adrenaline rush for him. As each bone broke, he abandoned all sense of self and gave in to his monstrous desires, fully embracing the wolf. He killed for sport and savored each kill, Eventually one of the victims decided to match fire with fire and blew him into bloody chunks with an M203 Grenade Launcher. Thus ended John's streak

something like that would be perfect for this day and age. We are not in the 1800's, we are in the present day. So why can't the werewolf curse adapt to the times as well? Thoughts?

4 years ago
It finally did a thread that wasn't just a single unpunctuated attempt at a sentence, and I already think I'm going to regret getting what I wished for.

4 years ago

should i not have posted?

4 years ago

Probably not.

4 years ago
If only we could get every member to ask themselves this and reflect on this one true answer prior to posting.

4 years ago

It is dehumanizing and incorrect. the correct form would be "Zombie29 finally did a thread that wasn't just a single un-punctuated attempt at a sentence, and I already think I'm going to regret getting what I wished for."

sorry for being a grammar Nazi, but it's a force of habit.

4 years ago
Nobody here is actually human, so you'll have to excuse the dehumanizing behavior. Nice font, by the way.

4 years ago
Shut up, queer.

4 years ago
So do you still have the tube in your dick?

4 years ago

...Does it matter? why is that your first response. No "oh that's a neat idea" or any opinions, just "So do you still have the tube in your dick?". Can you drop the 4 year old response or am i going to suffer it some more? Or are you at least going to be more creative in your insults. I post one thread that to me, means something, and end up with an insult. Common on forums i guess, even if you're trying to improve as a writer. I understand you want to be funny, but i was asking a serious question. Should Werewolf Lore be updated. If you're not going to reply in a professional manner, don't reply at all.

Cheers

4 years ago
So, I'm going to take that as a yes.

4 years ago

It's actually a big fat NO. Is this how you would act in front of someone in RL or do you truly think that this forum is a haven?

I would never respond this way.

4 years ago
Does that mean you can't urinate any more then? Fat F, man.
No, IRL I usually just talk about my cock whenever I get mildly irritated by some kid.

4 years ago

Look, i want to be here. i do NOT want to be bullied over an event that nearly killed me! Yes, my bladder shut off, they had to do it. I have not known greater pain. It's not something to joke about!

4 years ago
You think I'm joking? Wow. Maybe I just want to check up on the angry new guy's health?

4 years ago

well, you're response didn't exactly help your case. anyway, i'm fine now. thanks for asking

4 years ago
That's very good to hear.
Might want to check your butt though.

4 years ago

lol.

4 years ago
Dude, maybe you should calm down. In fact, Cricket finding the tube in your dick funny was the entire reason I didn't ban you for sending her that unhinged rant the other day and for all the worthless shitposting you've done I had to clean up.

And you don't get to tell people how to reply or whether they can on a public discussion forum, thanks.

Despite werewolves allegedly "meaning something to you", I already have the sense you're going to try and make this thread all about your emotional instability. So please choose your next words very carefully, because when *some* of us make anonymous tough guy threats on the internet we have the power to actually carry them out.

4 years ago

Well, that's certainly one way to write about werewolves...

Just, wow. Reading that was an experience.

4 years ago

A good one or a bad one?

4 years ago

This body I am typing with is an empty husk, you know.

Just a heads-up, DO NOT LOSE THAT DUEL YOU ENTERED. Those sort of duels are always to the death, and yours truly? He was my first victim until my real account eventually met his end, and I was forced to this account for eternal humiliation and SHAME. Be cautious, and if you are allowed to have seconds, I recommend choosing a second that can help you. Take your time, but do not miss the deadline!

4 years ago

From reading the Wikipedia article on werewolves, it seems to me that you have some misconceptions about werewolves.

• True love saving werewolves is definitely not universal.
  • Being weak to silver is a relatively recent addition.
  • Werewolves go back way past the 1800's.
  • Popular outlook on werewolves has changed with the passage of time.

You also didn't mention the full moon, or their connection to the witch trials. As for your actual ideas on changes:

• Dying to explosions isn't exactly a crazy new idea.
  • Forcing Eldritch Horrors and... the Loch Ness monster, to be a part of the werewolf 'mythos' seems needlessly restrictive.

Anyhow, don't get me wrong, you can write literally anything you want, and having your own spin on werewolves is fine. However, I really doubt any sudden change in the wider perception of werewolves will come about from anything that happens here, but hey, I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

The last question is, should werewolves be changed? I made it clear that I don't think they will be (not suddenly at any rate), but as for if they should... I don't know. I barely know things about them in the first place, so I'm hardly in the position to declare it one way or the other.

As such, I'll leave you with another criticism: you want to change werewolves, but you didn't articulate why strongly enough. Think about what thematic role werewolves might play, because just changing surface level things doesn't really matter (I'd argue) in the context of changing the way people perceive them. It seems irrelevant in the bigger picture, and so thinking about that would be the next step in this discussion, because you've only mentioned a few surface level things.

Anyhow, there is more to mention (probably), but I'm outta time so I'll leave it there.

P.S. "sorry for being a grammar Nazi, but it's a force of habit." == triggers me. Like, if you will call yourself a grammar Nazi, you ought to capitalise correctly! (Altho, I guess capitalisation isn't a part of grammar... but still!)

4 years ago
Commended by mizal on 8/2/2019 11:35:11 AM

I honestly don't think entertainment and literature have ever been bound by rules about a fictional creature. You want to make some gay werewolf like in Twilight? Knock yourself out. You want a werewolf that eats chocolate cake with silver sprinkles? Go ahead. The way I see it, stories are only bound by their own established rules and lore. As long as you remain consistent with your werewolf's strengths and weaknesses there isn't a problem. 

Second thing, you realize that not all werewolves are the same right? Back home in Russia we have a werewolf called a wawkalak. They pissed off the Devil and were turned into a wolf man. They are not malicious in the slightest. They return to their friends and loved ones, often licking their hands to show their love, and are in turn taken care of by their family. Their curse is that they cannot stay in one place for long and must rely on peoples goodwill to survive. Then we have a bodark which is someone who intentionally performs a ritual to become a werewolf. They basically just live in the forest and act like wolves. So there is no monolithic "werewolf lore". Every nation has its own beliefs and stories evolve all the time. 

Third, saying things like, "This is 2019 and werewolf lore must adapt to the times" and "We are not in the 1800's, we are in the present day" is a poor argument and is very annoying. Very reminiscent of that, "Um, actually, it's 2019 sweetie. (Insert retarded idea)." crap. Do we not use bullets anymore? Because last time I checked we did. So why are silver bullets an issue? As for guns, you ever see a rifle round pierce an armored car? I have. If we can do that with handheld firearms I guarantee you that a werewolf would not have a good time against modern firearms. Humans have been capable of killing whales, elephants, rhinos, gorillas, and lions since the early 1800's. I think we could kill a wolf man given enough preparation. But if you want to write it as, "Oh no we can't beat him. No choice but to summon Cthulu." then feel free to do that. It's your story. Just don't portray it like it needs to change just because it says 2019 on the calender.

Finally, and most importantly, your behavior so far has been abhorrent. Mizal has gone out of her way to basically keep you from being eviscerated with your other barely literate threads and what do you do? You attempt to correct her own grammar. You went around sending ranting PM's to users for reviewing your story honestly and only by Cricket finding your situation amusing were you not banned. So what do you do? You go on an angry rant towards Cricket. All you are doing is hurting yourself while pissing on the people who have the means to help you. Just stop. Take your pills, take the pole out of your ass, and either enjoy the community for the offensive but helpful place it is or be like Fang and take your shit over to Choice of Games. And I'd advise you to take part in that duel, and try really hard to win. Mizal's banhammer is no doubt thirsting for your blood.

I hope this post has been helpful and enlightening. I do hope you get better and learn to enjoy the community. The people here really are wonderful when you get to know them. And good luck in your duel.

4 years ago
Q: How do you kill a werewolf?
A: Any way you fucking want to; werewolves don't exist!

Spot on with that, and thanks for the rest. You've said a lot on both subjects I'd have brought up if the OP hadn't wandered off while End came up with better werewolf questions anyway.

4 years ago
Really it's Serpent that's potentially saved its life, though. Or at least postponed the inevitable. If it doesn't respond to his duel thread soon than I guess we're done here. It was given more of a chance than most noobs acting this way would have gotten.

4 years ago

Darn, I didn't mean to swear in my post. I'm glad my points were understandable though. Thank you for the kind words.

4 years ago
You didn't swear, that was my paraphrase lol. But somehow I don't think anyone around here would have minded if you had.

4 years ago

Oh no, I swore in the paragraph where I was talking about zombie29's abhorrent behavior. I know people on here probably don't mind, it's just more of a personal preference. I usually try to avoid it.

4 years ago

son of a bitch, a week of peace and i come back to this? surprise i'm shocked, but i will do my best to get back within her good graces. also, choice of who now?

4 years ago

Choice of Games, a site similar to CYS. A supposed safe space, although everyone with power there is hella brain-fried and are more tyrannical than China. The names he mentioned, well, they all lasted all of two days.

I recommend not taking weeks of peace before duels - or right before any event (that's just poor manners!). In fact, one could say that it almost costed your account.

However, to say that Mizal is annoyed with you is quite an understatement. Luckily, I do have a friend who might be able to help, though. He goes by EndMaster, a writing genius. You do know how to tag people, right? You use an @ symbol and their name - for example, my late friend @Ficsean_Chef, or you, @zombie29,

Of course, End is quite clever, he has made it so that several tags send out several messages, and it's not unusual to tag him three times - that's what he sets as his "Help switch", of sorts. He'll be happy to help.

4 years ago

well, i accepted the duel. all up to fate now

4 years ago
No, you didn't actually, because the last post in the duel thread you were tagged to multiple times was from me and 12 hours ago.

(Someone please tag him over there some more, he is lost and confused and he needs to at least make it to the arena so that Serpent can kill him. Although...it's Serpent, so....maybe I'll pass on making making bets....)