Player Comments on Alpha Wolf

This is my favorite of End's games that I've played so far. The routes feel so different in tone, humor, sorts of activities (tactical battles, chase scenes, romantic interventions, leading various packs of wolves and animal mutants, and absurd love stories). So many narratives in one, but all linked together by Wolf, whose grizzled and mildly annoyed and above-it-all attitude yokes it all together. Without that attitude, it would be half the game it is; with that attitude, with Wolf's casually violent and cynical attitude, it works.

“Damn, I really am getting too old for this shit,” you say to yourself.

That's the line that most captures the attitude here. All of the classic movie monsters are here, but older, more annoying, and generally pissing each other off.
The game pretty much always rewards thinking like Wolf, going for the throat, thinking about yourself, and not getting too caught up with these idiots you're meeting. You fight a little, mate a little, lead a little, and then leave. And that helps get the character across--the voice of Wolf is hilarious, and the info entries, while not always my favorite in games, are written in that voice as well, making them a fun and funny read rather than a tedious info dump.

There's a lot here, and it's all pretty funny and action packed, with a lot of memorable scenes. I especially really enjoyed how the fight scenes were in interesting places--Victor's castle, trying to pull out Vlad's heart, the elevator scene with Hyde--Igor firing from the wall--biting Ro-man--... When a game can have so many fight scenes and make each one so distinctive and different and interesting, something has gone right. Just a lot of fun. I could see myself replaying this again quite soon.

-- Gower on 10/12/2019 7:59:23 PM with a score of 0
This is a fucking banger of a storygame. For anyone unsure about what to expect from Alpha Wolf, think Fables but with cultural icons. Dracula, Godzilla, Jekyll and Hyde, Frankenstein - the likes. Now read. You'll have a good time.

There's a noticeable amount of technical errors in grammar and punctuation. From the first page, they are evident. And this remains somewhat intrusive and distracting. However, the merits outshine (but do not excuse) this issue. There's an allure to the stories of the titular Alpha Wolf - the macho, embittered, ruthless force of nature - and his interactions with the varied personalities of the monster community. Even in this early work, Endmaster demonstrates a polished ability to write engaging and dynamic characters.

I was invested in the ways Wolf would react to his bizarre situations; I'm always eager to witness an epic beat-down, and I was not disappointed. Our protagonist isn't, however, merely a one-note bad-ass for us to simply project ourselves onto. There's just enough depth to his character that makes the violent outbursts sympathetic, or even endearing. And there's an element of pity as we watch him cling to the noble savagery of his past, while compromising his own happiness. It's an aspect of Wolf that, while openly disavowed (he definitely isn't a conflicted romantic like Erik), nevertheless provides the emotional heart in most of the branches. Can this relic find fulfillment - even redemption - in his waning years, even during the sad routine of his life? It's a romp, for sure, and it never gets sappy - proof that a character's subtleties can be explored amid bombastic, visceral action.

For this reason, I found the 'Lawrence branch' particularly delightful. As a plus, we even got to murderise a pedo!

Compared to some of Endmaster's other storygames, Alpha Wolf may not be as expansive and impressive. However, I view it as a microcosm of his expertise in enthralling readers. The characters carried. Wolf owns. Wolf fucks.
-- Ozoni on 10/1/2019 8:06:47 AM with a score of 0
I’ve never read or watched the Phantom of the Opera, nor have the faintest idea about what happens, and it took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out what the deal was with Erik and probably never would have realised if the memories were not there. I’m sure if it was the intention, but I found the first page humorous when Erik was all depressed in that classic artsy way.

The memories were nice at the start as they were both funny and informative, but as the story went on became a bit tiring. They took me away from the ongoing plot and required the reader to read carefully as they contained a lot of information. I felt like I had a lot thrown at me and by the time I reached the third or fourth page I had already forgotten a lot of what I learnt on the first pages.

It was slightly weird to play as a wolf, and several times I would frown for a moment when reading parts like ‘“Nancy unexpectedly picks you up and puts on it. “Ohh your fur is so soft.” She says brushing her finger against your back.’ Just sort of odd and unexpected. Although it was super weird, it was also funny in parts, especially when I imagined a wolf riding a Harley.

I did really enjoy how the wolf was constantly angry with Erik and exploding all over the place, it was enjoyable and funny to see what insults he could come up with next. Most of the characters were unique and memorable (mostly achieved through the memories), even those that are less important to the storyline. It was also nice to see the wolf start to develop in some of the paths.

The fighting was also written very well, I liked how the reader had a direct influence into the outcome which helped to keep me engaged. The wolf instinct kinda thing made the fighting that much more interesting and unique. It was also nice that the deaths weren’t waffled around, they were nice and detailed, good for a horror story. Sometimes it did get a little far-fetched- I’m not sure how one manages to shove a table leg through a chest- but otherwise I enjoyed reading through the various torture and killing methods.

My favourite branch would definitely have to mad scientist one. Gaining little wolflings and throwing brains at Frankie was also pretty cool.
I didn’t feel like the endings gave me the same satisfaction that I had from some of Endmasters other stories, but I appreciated the variety of them and the abundance of choices and branches. Overall, I enjoyed reading Alpha Wolf, especially the fighting and killing and thought the references to characters from other works were clever and well intricated, even if I didn’t always understand them at first.
-- ghost11 on 4/30/2019 5:59:59 AM with a score of 0
I really enjoyed the world crafted in the story and the character I play as- as flawed as he is. I chose what I could to make Wolf redeemable and a better person. I think the interactions between character are well written and put a smile on my face. I want more haha. A really enjoyable and solid story to play.
-- aurelius on 5/4/2020 4:22:38 PM with a score of 0
it was boring
-- Anette on 12/16/2019 5:33:11 AM with a score of 0
sucks ass
-- goatlord on 11/22/2019 9:05:42 PM with a score of 0
great stuff! I played through and got the died by igor ending, and enjoyed every bit!
thanks for creating this story!
-- rorytheassassin on 10/21/2019 5:36:39 AM with a score of 0
I swear this is such a cool writeup! I was laughing like shiz, it was so funny!
-- Kuro on 3/5/2019 2:36:02 PM with a score of 0
One of the best games EndMaster blessed us with.
-- Nazhfa on 11/2/2018 8:55:56 AM with a score of 0
Very funny!
-- Quorrah on 7/15/2018 8:44:30 PM with a score of 0
Could be longer.
-- First day here on 7/5/2018 11:26:46 AM with a score of 0
i enjoyed this story i'm not sure if this was the really good ending or not but i liked it
-- reaperzone on 6/23/2018 11:08:03 PM with a score of 0
pretty good, kinda short tho.
-- chimichanga on 6/6/2018 7:19:33 PM with a score of 0
To start this review, I first need to address the distracting, obvious comma errors littered throughout the story.

'“You’re getting old Wolf” you say to yourself like you always do while trying to look on the bright side that at least you don’t have the mange.'

There should be a comma before "Wolf," and also right after it. It should read, '"You're getting old, Wolf," you say to yourself like you always do.' Furthermore, the following sentence is somewhat confusing in that there is no comma connecting the two related action sentences. A corrected version of paragraph is below:

'"You're getting old, Wolf," you say to yourself like you always do, while trying to look on the bright side that at least you don't have mange.'

I notice there's a chronic case of "missing comma syndrome" throughout the entire story, such as in this paragraph:

"After eating some left over mutton in the fridge and some Gummy Blobs (for the sugar “pick me up”) you ponder how you’re going to pay this month’s rent on your cabin."

Remove the parentheses, and you should see how much of a run-on sentence this is. I'm not one to just nitpick in my reviews, however, and so now I'd like to discuss some of the more positive elements of the story.

The characterization of the side characters are just exaggerated enough to paint a vibrant picture of the world they inhabit. When the Wolf first calls Erik, I was confused as to why an employment agent would be so mopey, but only after he mentioned Christine did it click to me that this was the Phantom of the Opera! The "Memories" pages utilize the CYOA format just well enough to accomplish something traditional novel writing is unable to, and that's mass-exposition dumps. Codex-style entries are usually only accomplished in video games, and, as CYOAs are "storygames," you took that principle to heart and used it to craft a better picture of the world.

(A tiiiiny nitpick about Erik! The Phantom never made a deal with the Devil, that was a theme introduced in a very awful adaptation of the original source material. Even in the original movies his deformity was natural, and his success in opera was the one thing that made him redeemable. He was the embodiment of the starving artist, a character who became so devoted to his music that it was his life, yet left his other emotional needs unfulfilled.)

There's of course, eh, the sex scene... which I'd rather not get into. I was confused as to who Mary was. Mary as in, Mary Shelley? I believe whoever she was, she was meant to be the Bride of Frankenstein, but the Bride is left unnamed in any original source material.

Now, I must note that it's strange for the protagonist, the Wolf, to be explicitly stated as NOT Lawrence Talbot, yet he still somehow knows characters such as Griffin or Dr. Jekyll. That was strange, to be honest, since Lawrence Talbot is the Wolfman typically associated with those characters, but I suppose this is an original take on the universe so I'll let that slide.

As for the Mr. Hyde arc, I'm guessing he's so much bigger because of the enhanced formula? Because Mr. Hyde in the original source material is not any bigger than Jekyll; in fact, he's smaller, to represent the twisted nature of evil.

Finally, I'd like to close off with a brief ending statement. As fun as this was, is it really a Horror game? I feel like it should belong in fanfiction, right? It's using already established characters and, even if they are horror-genre characters, wouldn't that make it fanfiction?

Anyways great game, 7/8.
-- henshaw_13 on 5/27/2018 5:12:33 PM with a score of 0
this was good and dude it was okay but you write better than the storygame escape room two and i rated yours a six and it was nice horror
-- i am not bored on 3/16/2018 10:48:17 AM with a score of 0
The first time I read this story was probably two years ago.
I remember going to read 'just one more branch' at 3:00 AM, New Year's Day.

I like the mad scientist branch in particular.
-- Cricket on 2/16/2018 12:50:43 AM with a score of 0
I really liked this one, though it doesn't feel like it has the depth of world building as some of your other stories, I find there is a lot of charm to your rendition of our classical horror figures and how they have become immersed in the 'real' world. I found all the history pages were well worth the read even though they imparted no choices.
-- Mynoris on 12/22/2017 7:45:57 PM with a score of 0
I would just like to say how much I would like to have been in the game in real life :D
-- Jesza on 12/8/2017 6:27:18 AM with a score of 0
Excellent storyline. The background information is aplenty and very helpful too.
-- TheONeLol265 on 8/9/2017 8:15:08 AM with a score of 0
Great story! Dude that was so good! Many choices, great characters, and my favorite story line is meeting Lawerence and staying for the night at the character's son's house (Lawerence), and it is kinda long but its worth reading it. (also MARTIANS!?)
-- ShadowTiger on 4/5/2017 11:14:36 PM with a score of 0
Oh my god haha that was violent.
-- Himario on 11/23/2016 11:10:35 PM with a score of 0
It was great! Great ending, great plot, great characters
F*CKIN' GREAT!
-- FletchG-Rates on 7/7/2016 7:17:47 AM with a score of 0
This was a very fun and interesting story.
-- Meta on 3/9/2016 9:34:18 AM with a score of 0
More more more more more
-- Soul on 2/16/2016 1:49:32 AM with a score of 0
It was a great story just wish it were longer
-- Tetrand on 12/24/2015 5:07:00 AM with a score of 0
This is probably my least favorite of your atories, it is however well written and cpuld be good for others who enjoy this sort of thing, just not for me. I'm more of a LOVE SICK/GEEKE kind of guy, I enjoy the disturbing and this just wasn't disturbing.
-- DeathIncarnate on 7/25/2015 1:31:55 PM with a score of 0
I was really confused until I got to the silver bullets part, then I noticed he was a werewolf. From then on, I was guessing you were talking about the Big Bad Wolf of something. Seriously, super confused. Other then that, though, pretty good.
-- Sophaderp on 5/26/2015 7:55:12 PM with a score of 0
Awesome!
-- TheBossWriter on 5/21/2015 5:22:30 PM with a score of 0
i have a one thing to say besides i love your stories. and that Fuck! oliver.
-- rurbesho on 5/16/2015 5:52:35 AM with a score of 0
Somewhat reminiscent of "The Wolf a Among Us".
-- Starky on 5/7/2015 7:18:38 PM with a score of 0
First try, I ended up reconciling with Lawrence, protecting Iris form that perv Oliver and got back together with Mary
-- Reader on 4/18/2015 1:32:20 PM with a score of 0
it was fucking awesome glad to see something that catches my attention unlike most the garbage on the site i enjoyed this much more than i thought i would
-- shypunk on 3/31/2015 6:13:50 PM with a score of 0
Really liked this story
-- Theone0987 on 12/17/2014 6:32:25 PM with a score of 0
Neatly put together.
-- Aspen on 11/18/2014 1:10:36 PM with a score of 0
Was awesome would definitely play again! I like the different characters/species introduced into the story. Oliver was the perfect amount of sick fuck.
-- J on 10/8/2014 3:09:40 PM with a score of 0
werewolves fricken rule 8/8
(diden't say fuck in the comment but ima say it here, fuck fuck fuck )
-- josh on 9/16/2014 1:12:27 AM with a score of 0
How many endings are to this fantastic story?
-- ransacker on 9/12/2014 10:06:09 AM with a score of 0
I liked it, and there was some pretty interesting character development for the protagonist in some paths. Nice world and cast of characters, too.

Some paths were inevitably not as good as others. That was the only negative I could force myself to think of.
-- 31TeV on 9/11/2014 5:01:16 AM with a score of 0
Great once you get to the alpha wolf pack ending
-- frankyang3 on 6/30/2014 9:11:28 AM with a score of 0
Wow, that was pretty damn interesting!! thanks for the story
-- populouspoptart on 6/17/2014 12:25:11 AM with a score of 0
awesome story one of the best i have read so far. Wish it was longer though.
-- jas76543 on 5/24/2014 2:36:20 PM with a score of 0
Not the longest story game Endmaster has created, but enjoyable none the less. Definitely worth reading.
-- Havoc on 5/16/2014 10:55:48 AM with a score of 0
The characters are quite fun. I'll definitely be back to test out alternate endings.
-- Havoc on 5/16/2014 8:01:12 AM with a score of 0
I enjoyed this storygame. It was awesome
-- qatar on 5/15/2014 7:14:33 AM with a score of 0
A bit short, but really worth reading! I loved the ending! (Spoiler/hint: never trust fat cats)
-- xDeFiLeDxStOrMx on 5/8/2014 9:46:51 PM with a score of 0
A truly enjoyable experience. I really felt the enjoyment of getting back into the fight with my character. Although I must say you tend to make me be a man so often I think I'm growing an extra body part.
-- Nightsky on 4/14/2014 6:30:46 PM with a score of 0
Strange read indeed but victorious end! Yay.
-- Jay on 3/26/2014 9:34:10 AM with a score of 0
Goodness me, that was intense.
I strapped myself into my seat for a crappy werewolf story, and dear god, I was wrong.
-- EarthCollision on 3/2/2014 1:18:28 PM with a score of 0
I found this very enjoyable to read/play. You have a talent for writing these sort of things (PS: love being a bad*** werewolf character XD)
-- Mask on 12/23/2013 8:54:33 AM with a score of 0
good
-- kinsmarts on 12/8/2013 7:21:31 PM with a score of 0
I liked playing a character that relies on instinct, very satisfying.
-- J on 12/5/2013 9:27:50 PM with a score of 0
This story was really great honestly I loved it yo
-- Awakeem on 11/5/2013 11:12:18 PM with a score of 0
Its in the Horror section but I actually found it a really sweet and endearing story; at least the adventure I had! Excellent work.
-- Trotskisaurus on 10/25/2013 2:03:17 PM with a score of 0
I had a great time with this. Love the main characters attitude, and the way that his own subjective memories are written into the story adds a lot to it.
-- InkwolfXVII on 10/11/2013 12:22:19 PM with a score of 0
I always enjoy the level of divergence as far as personality and choice that goes in to some of these stories. Plus, no matter the route, Wolf is pretty bad-a.
-- SteelMachete on 8/27/2013 6:35:45 AM with a score of 0
A truly enjoyable experience. While I was sad to be a past-my-prime wolf, I really felt the enjoyment of getting back into the fight with my character. Although I must say you tend to make me be a man so often I think I'm growing an extra body part.
-- Skysworne on 7/28/2013 1:15:36 AM with a score of 0
One of my favorite stories on the site.
-- Abaddon_Wolf on 6/26/2013 2:34:23 AM with a score of 0
interesting...
-- mike on 6/19/2013 1:16:31 PM with a score of 0
Obviously you've put in some effort into this storygame. It turned out to be a good one.
-- harrypotter on 5/20/2013 7:29:55 PM with a score of 0
I liked it was very well written.
-- Antonio on 3/30/2013 11:57:20 AM with a score of 0
really fun game
-- EragonMax490 on 3/1/2013 11:03:23 AM with a score of 0
I enjoyed all those monster references...a whiney phantom of the opera, hilarious!
-- zeewonka on 2/21/2013 9:09:25 AM with a score of 0
I very much liked the story, short, but with differing paths, not exactly sure how you manage to fit that much swearing into each sentince, but you must have a tallent for it, not that I mind though, and even though there were a few spelling mistakes, they weren't that bad, and I like that you took the time to make a backstory of memories.
That really makes the story worth it, and your inturpritations are funny though disturbed, as is most of your work.
Dude, seriously, you make me think you need to talk to a counsler some times, either that or you just have a gift for putting your self in another persons shoes.
-- defender on 2/3/2013 2:29:43 AM with a score of 0
Great story with references to nearly every film and creature out there. Explore every nook and cran and don't forget to read those memories.

It should allow you to procrastinate whatever you ought to be doing for a few hours

8/8
-- Crinos on 9/27/2012 12:01:03 PM with a score of 0
Great story,plot,character portrayal,and endings
-- Omegagoldfish on 9/20/2012 3:53:35 PM with a score of 0
FRIGGIN GODZILLA
-- Omegagoldfish on 9/17/2012 7:18:53 PM with a score of 0
Good!
-- haledakota on 9/14/2012 7:18:38 PM with a score of 0
this is my new absolute favorite game the only thing that could make it better would be a sequel
-- JamesValkyrie on 8/26/2012 1:39:55 PM with a score of 0
Cool story! Vampires were mentioned a couple of times, but I never saw one. Maybe I just went down the wrong path though. I goth the ending with Lawrence and his family, where we killed the creepy cat guy.
-- Amy2 on 6/27/2012 3:57:26 AM with a score of 0
There was something good but room for improvement never stops!
-- RobustSporadic on 6/26/2012 5:52:10 AM with a score of 0
I got the girl and killed the vampires.
-- CovElite on 6/8/2012 9:54:30 AM with a score of 0
pretty good
-- betaband on 5/24/2012 9:08:24 PM with a score of 0
Best. Game. Ever.
-- McRabid on 5/12/2012 6:39:10 PM with a score of 0
i love this story...please keep this going
-- zeke86198 on 5/8/2012 5:33:20 PM with a score of 0
I can't find a nice way to put this. Or a funny way. Long story short: It's messed up-ish.
-- cysid2 on 4/29/2012 10:50:03 PM with a score of 0
Funny but if it was longer it would be better
-- Xt1000305 on 4/15/2012 10:05:34 PM with a score of 0
Riping that guys balls of fucking funny as hell HAHAHAA
-- ZenUndead on 1/26/2012 10:56:51 AM with a score of 0
Nice mix of classic monsters :)
-- BerkaZerka on 1/24/2012 6:05:08 PM with a score of 0
Enjoyed it. Author's certainly done the dialogue in their stories really well, as well as a good balance of characters and description :)
-- Savannah.Peony on 9/30/2011 10:29:40 AM with a score of 0
Bit strange, and for once I actually found the history a bit too long. Wished I could act more like a werewolf though. Good overall.
-- bradhal on 9/13/2011 5:51:25 PM with a score of 0
It would of been better with some pics or like some items to pick up
-- DarkentityOni on 9/8/2011 2:15:10 PM with a score of 0
i liked it, the diff story arcs are fun.it was enjoyable.
-- ChaiHai on 8/29/2011 2:45:50 AM with a score of 0
It seemed to be more story than game. It was cool the way it brought in so many movie characters, & I can't say that it lacked detail. But I was disappointed that I read through all of that to encounter & kill a pedophile cat. Maybe if I follow the other arcs the way others did I'll find it to be more ...
-- windupgirl on 8/15/2011 7:11:14 PM with a score of 0
Played a few more arcs and I think I see that this was more about playing several different scenarios than getting a good ending, so it makes more sense now.
-- Killa_Robot on 8/5/2011 8:36:13 PM with a score of 0
I enjoyed it but I felt like the endings were lacking. Well more than lacking I felt there were no real scale of endings, none of them felt better or worse than the next. I'll play Oliver's arc and see if I feel any different though.
-- Killa_Robot on 8/5/2011 8:31:03 PM with a score of 0
Not Bad...
-- jcam on 7/27/2011 1:33:40 PM with a score of 0
Love it :)
-- alienalpha on 7/21/2011 2:00:10 AM with a score of 0
Your the best writer on this site in my opinion
-- TearsOfTheDevil on 7/17/2011 10:30:46 AM with a score of 0
Great.
-- Killer999 on 5/25/2011 11:31:23 AM with a score of 0
Bo approves
-- ThisisBo on 5/16/2011 7:59:30 PM with a score of 0
She's not in the story. She wasn't a "famous" monster, she was just some random werewolf woman.
-- EndMaster on 5/15/2011 9:01:38 PM with a score of 0
Just wondering who the hell was the wolfs original wife. I think I have fallowed every story line and I still do not know. Who was it.
-- cool74 on 5/15/2011 7:45:26 PM with a score of 0
That was fun I loved killing that sick Oliver
-- cool74 on 4/30/2011 10:15:43 PM with a score of 0
Interesting :D
-- Jon on 3/18/2011 1:41:36 PM with a score of 0
Very interesting! Great game and story!
-- Andrew1602 on 7/18/2010 2:19:00 PM with a score of 0
It's got a really good story line I can say that. But what i didn't expect was Oliver. I thought that it was going to be like Irena was going to blow up on Wolf and he leave for good but I liked the twist.
-- Gim9000 on 10/12/2009 4:04:40 PM with a score of 0
very fun, lots of background though, hehe
-- crition on 9/21/2009 11:45:31 PM with a score of 0
shoots! i lost to the body snatchers, what a whimp!
-- TUZ on 8/21/2009 8:22:47 PM with a score of 0
Loved it, you used everyone in just the right spots. also liked the storyline too.
-- sacreir on 1/22/2009 4:34:24 PM with a score of 0
Poor kitties...
-- Vitamins_n_Stds on 11/2/2008 12:25:44 PM with a score of 0
Brilliant story and great use of all the old horror characters.
-- Zarok on 8/14/2008 3:38:15 AM with a score of 0
Mr. Hyde, what an ***hole! lol! This was great as always. If there was an ability on here to favorite stories, I would favorite this one for sure... I guess I could put it in my profile at least.
-- Leon101 on 7/2/2008 2:39:38 AM with a score of 0
The memories addition added a lot. It felt like a story with different scenarios more than a game, but there's nothing wrong with that, and for its purposes, it worked out well. The game seems like a bit of a tease, learning about all these monsters, but not really getting involved in the world. (At least the playthrough that I experienced) Thanks for putting so much thought into this game's characters.
-- Melike on 4/4/2008 12:50:48 AM with a score of 0
I love anything to do with wolves. Great story
-- Hunter23 on 1/26/2008 4:29:37 AM with a score of 0
scuse this but FUCKING AWESOME!!! sweet game!!!
-- emma101rox on 11/26/2007 9:36:24 PM with a score of 0
Fantastic work and great storytelling! 8/8
-- GodsSlayer on 11/17/2007 6:45:29 AM with a score of 0
Nice one, man. I loved the modern twist you put on classic movie monsters. 8/8
-- DarthVader_13 on 11/5/2007 11:28:14 PM with a score of 0
I knew DEP was going to say that.

There are NO furries in this story. You may all proceed to read without fear.
-- EndMaster on 11/4/2007 6:55:23 PM with a score of 0
Furries.
-- donteatpoop on 11/4/2007 1:56:57 PM with a score of 0
Another great work by Endmaster. Keep it up!
-- Rommel on 11/3/2007 10:24:52 PM with a score of 0