Player Comments on You Are A Disc In My Dad's Spinal Cord. Can You Make His Back Stop Hurting In Time For Christmas?

Usually when you start out with a title so long that the play button goes off the screen, you’re in for something pretty bad on this site. However, that’s certainly not the case for this story! This is a great little story that’s absolutely hilarious.

I’m really not sure what’s up with the commercial fishing boat. I just don’t even know what to say there. At least it comes with a nice warning about what’s going to happen. I’m wondering if that’s a medical problem that some people have where their discs turn into commercial fishing boats under certain conditions. I’m betting there’s a medication for that (but it probably has a side effect of turning into commercial fishing boats).

Indeed, this was random at times, but the clear path was always there. But also the side paths were fun. I liked becoming the mayor of Florida, sorry about that, dad. There were also many other options and lots of fun times for the reader. This is a very well done short story that should entertain any reader with a sense of humor…but I still don’t really get the commercial fishing boat, though it is clearly quite powerful. And hey, why didn’t I get to be a commercial fishing boat when I was singing with the walruses? Nicely done, thank you for sharing this with the site!
-- Ogre11 on 6/19/2018 4:22:44 PM with a score of 0
I...actually liked this? But I hate lolrandom games, how can this be??

Just have to chalk this one up to a Christmas miracle, five months late I guess.

Anyway, this was short but probably just about the exact right length to keep the jokes from wearing thin. The premise is uh, unique, and the dedication and commitment to transforming into a commercial fishing boat was truly impressive. I laughed out loud at the Santa twist there.

You have good taste in music as well.

Several of the choices were fake, in that they took you to identical pages regardless of the link itself being named something wildly different, so that was a little disappointing. The game still had a decent amount of options though, and it was nice there was more than one way to get to Santa once I got tired of impressing geese. (If you hadn't dropped quite so many fucks in the yeti segment you'd be able to lower the maturity rating on this btw, it's the only section that had a bunch of four letter words all at once and it stood out a bit.)

I really hope you're a genuine newbie and not someone's alt doing weird performance art, but either way this was a lot of fun and I definitely wouldn't mind seeing more like it. The title though...yes it's eye catching but the way it messes up the button is deeply upsetting to me, any chance you could shorten it?

Oh, and I hope your dad's back gets to feeling better in time to save Christmas.
-- mizal on 5/25/2018 7:07:59 AM with a score of 0
I had to completely ignore the rubric I usually use to rate story games. "Did it make me laugh until I cried" was not one of the criterion I usually use. Honestly the best review I could give this would have been a video of me laughing until my abs cramped, then laughing more when I finally opened the next page.

If this had been made in 2004 or earlier, the founders would have lauded this as perhaps one of the greatest works of fiction of all time. tsmpaul would have probably given you his trophy and this would have made the top games list. Trust me, I read the games on that list at that time. This beats more than one of them.

Fortunately, we've crawled far out of the Primordial Ooze. It's 2018 and we have standards now. Standards that this called into question! Linearity usually locks stories into poor ratings, lolrandom death pages usually end in me checking a box for a score penalty in my stupid little notebook.

For this game, I deliberately clicked on game ending links because I wanted to see with what you would present me. This stuff was gold.

It's short, it's funny, it's refreshing, it's well edited, it is absolutely worth playing!
-- ugilick on 5/25/2018 3:02:37 AM with a score of 0
I found this extraordinarily funny. I probably rated it far too high, but this game contained my sense of humor and I had to respect that.
Obviously the game was pretty simple. It had a 'yes or no' type ending option (give or take some boats). You either won or you didn't, but since winning and not were both funny it didn't matter as much. The game itself is mildly linear but contains a surprising amount of choices that each have their own charming quirks.
-- bilbo on 12/29/2019 7:50:08 PM with a score of 0
WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD

I quite liked this! The writing was polished; the sentences flowed well, and there were no broken links and few immediate death scenes. The "game over" scenes that were available simply led back to a checkpoint, rather than to an "End Game" screen, which was a nice feature.

Most of these 'bad' endings were quite humorous, and I found myself trying to obtain as many of them as possible. I loved how I could become the mayor of Florida, burn alive next to the sun, and tell the Christmas Elf to shove it. My only regret is that I could not do these things while also healing the dad's back.

The quip about "becoming a commercial fishing boat, killing everyone instantly," which was nearly constantly available throughout the story, was humorous. I loved how if you threatened to do this to Santa, he turned into a boat in self defense. It was so random that it was funny.

There was a decent amount of interactivity. Most scenes had anywhere between two - four links. I especially loved the scene with the seals; I chose to progress by screaming my lungs off like a banshee and singing horrendously. Even the elf liked the song. It was quite fun.

As many other commentators have mentioned, you may want to fix the title. It's far too long, and makes the 'play game' link stretch all the way off the page. It may cause some readers to take pause before playing your game.

Keep up the good work. I've rated this 5/8. May give this a higher rating if the title was fixed and the length were longer.
-- Reader82 on 12/21/2019 7:11:44 AM with a score of 0
"You become a 126 foot long commercial fishing boat. My dad and all of the people who live in the houses on either side of my dad's house are dead. My dad's back will still hurt when he joins God in heaven because he was never able to solve his back pain while he was on earth. Christmas is illegal for a thousand years"

Here's a great example of the dry, humorous narration throughout this story. Really, that and the fact that nothing about it is painful to read really save it.
I loved the narration, and the way it was so matter of fact really fit well with the absurdity of this story.

However, I have a lot of issues with the branching in this story. Several times there were multiple choices on a page that led to the exact same result. If you are going to have there be not even the difference of a single paragraph, why give me the choice between saying "Deal" and "Ok"?
There is also a potential infinite choice loop, and whenever you don't save Christmas, you are directed back to a checkpoint rather than given an end game link, which I disapprove of.

This was an amusing story, and I can't say it wasn't enjoyable, but the issues with the structure were too big to rate it very highly.
-- Cricket on 12/16/2019 12:14:25 PM with a score of 0
It started out interesting, but towards the end it got boring. It was really funny though!
-- StupidManatee on 9/29/2019 5:42:17 PM with a score of 0
Pretty good, I saw a few mistakes here and there but thought that the story was pretty funny. I would say that this gets a 6/8
-- Unkindcrab on 3/11/2019 5:08:31 PM with a score of 0
I love the storyline. Funny, and definitely not a waste of my time ;) ! Thanks for the good laugh!
-- Clydesdale on 1/18/2019 9:42:28 PM with a score of 0
The most sophisticated game I have ever played. If you need to be educated in back pain relief, this is a great resource.
-- Pineapple_gumdrop on 12/19/2018 10:03:43 AM with a score of 0
That was ......... something
-- TSeriesDestroyer on 12/10/2018 6:37:04 PM with a score of 0
Wow, who knew Santa Claus could transform into a commerical fishing vessel? Oh man, this one is hilarious and stupid, which is why I love it. 6/8
-- abchiaramonte on 11/16/2018 8:13:10 AM with a score of 0
As far as stories about spinal cord discs go, this was not bad at all. Of course, everything here was completely random, but I wasn’t expecting anything different. I legitimately enjoyed the fact that certain random jokes (like the commercial fishing vessel) appeared more than once. It doesn’t make any sense but at least it was constant.
-- ViolinAndDeerstalker on 8/17/2018 9:53:13 AM with a score of 0
This is so stupid, it's hilarious, and so bad that it's good. Love the commercial fishing vessel transformation...but not sure about how some genetic mutation or whatever allowed a spinal cord disk to transform into a commercial fishing vessel whenever it wants. I can't really rate it...
-- abchiaramonte on 7/24/2018 8:17:33 AM with a score of 0
I guess people just don't appreciate good comedy. The rating on this is actually getting dangerously low. I think that's kinda tragic. I hope you log back in and make another gem like this one day. You made at least one person happier with your work here, thanks!
-- ugilick on 7/6/2018 6:26:20 AM with a score of 0
Played several times. At first I was scoffing at the silly concept, but the quick action and very different endings, became amusing. I wonder where the impetus for this story came from. Silly and fun. One question... Why does it always want to turn into as boat and kill everyone instantly? This is all too silly.
-- LuvLee on 5/29/2018 2:38:21 PM with a score of 0
Absurd
-- AzBaz on 5/29/2018 12:40:41 PM with a score of 0
Well, I thought this was really funny. It had a fun humor to it that genuinely amused me to no end, and it was short enough that I could quickly get through it without dedicating too much time.

There was a few issues of course, even for what you were going for. The lack of an end game link until the very end annoyed me, because "You have to restart if you fail" always seems like cheating. There was a few mistakes here and there that took me out of it, and it was a bit linear for my taste, especially given how short it was.

But in total, it was fun and enjoyable, well done.
-- Steve24833 on 5/28/2018 12:59:49 PM with a score of 0
"Blow it and ruin everything" is a dead link - it just keeps sending you back to the same "blow it and ruin everything" page whenever you choose to restart from a checkpoint, thereby only leaving you with the option to continue restarting from a checkpoint.
-- henshaw_13 on 5/26/2018 10:47:10 PM with a score of 0
This was my favorite christmas tale. What a wondrous day it is!
-- Chad the Dad on 5/25/2018 8:34:29 PM with a score of 0
Well. That was certainly... original. I've never seen anything like it. It could have gone a bit more in depth into what the quest actually was because I don't think that just going to see Santa would be an actual quest. Giving a quest and having us complete it would have made it way more interesting, but it was't bad. Also, if you could make the title just a little shorter so it didn't make the title button jut out a mile, that would be great. Keep up the creativity!
-- AstralEmbers17 on 5/25/2018 1:28:30 PM with a score of 0
I clicked through all of the options because it was so damn entertaining. I loved my time in Florida. The yeti was really swole (and my favorite character). I do wish that each of the final options led to different endings, but only because the writing is so funny and inventive. Great game!
-- MoreCowbell on 5/25/2018 4:33:49 AM with a score of 0
I found this oddly entertaining for an "lol, random" storygame. The commercial fishing boat thing was pretty funny too.
-- WouldntItBeNice on 5/24/2018 9:45:35 PM with a score of 0