Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

BLACKSMITH interest check

2 years ago

I was possessed by some fae mood to make a party game CARD-BASED WRITING EXERCISE over the course of a few hours the day before yesterday, and, while I'm sure actually making the cards would be no biggie, it's certainly going to be difficult to share and play it over the internet... But I think I've found a roundabout way to do it.

Of course, that's way less interesting than what the [CARD-BASED WRITING EXERCISE] actually is, so I'll get to it.

It's one of those 'fill-in-the-blank' games in the same vein as Cards Against Humanity, which has proven popular with certain users in the past, but it's more of a 'pitch game' that encourages chat and debate rather than the instant judgements we usually pass, so it lends itself particularly well to this play-by-post format.

In this game, you play as blacksmiths, making magical and unique tools and weapons with names similar to the kind you'd see in a roguelike. Only, these aren't randomly generated. You pick their materials and features according to what you think best fits the situation, and then pitch your 'design' to the judges with a description of what you think it is and how it would work. Hopefully, the results will all be equally ridiculous, but that's what playtesting is for!

How to play:

Each player draws 2 of each card type, and then an additional one the type of their choice: Materials, Items, Prefix Descriptors, and Suffix Descriptors.

For example of how these would be put together, |Blessed|Brass|Rope Dart|Of the East|

I ran these through a hackneyed version of Rando Cardrissian, and so far I wrote them in a way that most any combination would at least resemble consistent grammatical sense, but time will tell.

Players will take turns in order of who joined first to be the "Customer". They will read out a "Quest" card which describes the potential customer and their needs.

For example, 
"Plague doctor needs new surgical equipment after their last dysentery patient exploded."

And then the other players would submit and describe their inventions- Have fun with your interpretation, just try not to veer too far away from what the actual card (the prompt, if you will) is saying! To avoid this becoming a game of people inventing the most all-encompassing magical multitools or just extremely overpowered weapons, the Customer is advised to pick the one best suited to their specific situation. As well as what they think would be funny.

The rest pretty much proceeds as this sort of concept-pitch game always does. After the winner is declared, all players who spent cards this turn will discard their cards to the bottom of all relevant piles and then draw from the decks until their hands contain the original amount of cards. (Though if the "additional" one was spent, the player is allowed to pick a third of a different type.) The winner is awarded the judge's card, and the first one to get up to a number picked before the game starts wins. Because I'm just testing to see how this will go right now, let's go with 3.

As far as syntax rules, I'll say that a creation doesn't need to be just one of each card in that specific order. At bare minimum, it can be two cards. At maximum, I'd say 5. As long as it makes grammatical sense for what you're proposing, you can even use materials as items and vise versa, since they're both nouns. You could, say, use "Cake Sword" to mean your sword is made of cake, or "Sword Cake" for a cake made of swords. I don't want to be too restrictive, but my only limit is that you can only have one suffix per creation. I'm open to debate on this in some cases, but adding multiple always feels janky. If any combination comes to mind when you're playing that seems like it's dancing on the edge, just ask me about it.

I'll need 3 to 6 people to play this game. 6 leaves room for people to flake out, but it'd really be helpful if you didn't. Rounds will be mafia-style, so time is flexible, just remember to be online and check the forums the same day as the game and you'll do great. I'll give you your hands via PM when the game starts, just remind me which card type you want an extra one of.

Additional Note: Because Sent doesn't have the time or the resources to make this an actual cardgame, google images of certain weapons will be provided in lieu of card art, as an official example of what certain exotic or unusual weapons are.

2 years ago
Moving this to the Lounge to gather interest, the actual game can be run in CC. I won't have time to do any detailed CHARACTER WRITING EXERCISES, but I'm in, if there's at least a 24 hour window for each round.

It sounds pretty flexible as far as the amount of time put in, which I think is pretty necessary for these kinds of things where you...interact as a group following a set of rules in a forum activity designed to generate fun. Simple rules with room for creative flair is ideal for a forum GROUP WRITING EXERCISE like this.

2 years ago
Sounds pretty cool, I'll take a stab at it if you're game.

2 years ago
i’m in

2 years ago

This sounds wonderful, I'm in.

2 years ago

This should be just enough people. Not to rush into it, but I've realized with the relatively low score we're playing to, not everybody might get the chance to be a customer when there's more people. This way, it'll be highly likely that everyone gets a turn.

2 years ago
This sounds fun! If you still have room, I'm interested. I agree that a 24 hour time window wound be best.

2 years ago

Ok, last guy for real this time!... Totally not just letting more people on just because the madlibs thing that draws cards is so much fun.

2 years ago
(Sorry :/ No pressure if you've already got the number of people you were going for)

2 years ago

It's a soft limit. I did say up to 6, anyway.

2 years ago
Dang, I missed out.

Can I occasionally come in as a customer as a sort of bonus round where I need a tool for a specific quest that is possibly comical in nature.

Or some sort of other role that is comedic and will not affect the game too harshly.

It is fine if not because this is a limited capacity official writing exercise and I would not want to mess with it.

2 years ago

You may be a bonus customer, as a matter of fact. In fact, since quests are one of the more neglected categories, you can even make up your own when it comes time for you to judge. You won't be missing out on much, I'm sure I'll run another game soon after this, but this is just to make certain that everything works properly.

2 years ago
:D

2 years ago
Moved this for the rules.

2 years ago
If you guys do this again I hope I can be around in time to join, it looks like a lot of fun.

2 years ago

That's the intention. This is just going to be the tutorial, for myself and others. Future games can have more people, more rounds, etc.

BLACKSMITH RESHUFFLED!?!

2 years ago

I'm considering a revision since, as far as I can tell, this game works. And the "test game" we're running seems it's probably going to be a lot longer than I thought previously. And certain people are only one thing away from winning.

I'm considering extending this game to a "full" game with 5 points being the winning number, and dealing Tim and Tony in.

Should scores be kept as-is? Would you prefer if the scores were reset? I dunno how best to handle this but it feels weird knowing the others could potentially be waiting weeks to join and do stuff officially if we play through all this unchanged.

I'd like input from everybody on this,
@mizal @BerkaZerka @Wizzycat @hetero_malk @Tim36D @Nightwatch

BLACKSMITH RESHUFFLED!?!

2 years ago

I'm down for whatever the others say, although I'd like to request that if we reshuffle, I get to do the first customer post.

BLACKSMITH RESHUFFLED!?!

2 years ago

It is your turn to go next, so it makes sense.

BLACKSMITH RESHUFFLED!?!

2 years ago
I say don't reset the scores. No need to beat back everyone else to square one just to deal in some fresh blood.

BLACKSMITH RESHUFFLED!?!

2 years ago
Reset the scores, I say do the opposite of whatever that bastard Tony wants

BLACKSMITH RESHUFFLED!?!

2 years ago
I don't see a reason to reset scores when half the original players are still at zero, it's not like Tim or even that IMPOSTER Nightwatch are dealing with any major handicap.

BLACKSMITH RESHUFFLED!?!

2 years ago

I think that settles it, though I should also say, I just noticed that SOME OF YOU have flagrantly broken the "only one suffix" rule, but in such a syntactically sound way that I didn't even notice it until after I had to draw your cards again. Because I liked both those items a lot, I'm considering redacting this rule for others to also mess with at their discretion. Do any of ya'll have some two cents to give on this?

BLACKSMITH RESHUFFLED!?!

2 years ago
Since it got mean win, I say as long as they sound good together, let us use up to two suffixes, hehehe!

Also, don't mind a score reset or not, or at least knock that cheating wizzy down a point or two lol!

BLACKSMITH RESHUFFLED!?!

2 years ago

Mad cuz bad.

BLACKSMITH RESHUFFLED!?!

2 years ago
I've been blatantly ignoring what you said about suffixes because the ones I've had still sounded okay together. Don't think we really need a rule there, given the kind of site this is I imagine the customer themselves would count it against someone if they got too wonky with grammar.

2 years ago
So, can we pass a round?

If so, what happens to extra cards?

Do you have to discard? Before or after getting new cards?

Is there a minimum number of cards you must play? Such as at least always play/discard the Item card?

2 years ago

I'd say that you're allowed to pass a limitted number of times, at the penalty of not drawing the next round. You can also "mulligan" once, but this forfeits your extra card.

2 years ago
WTF is a Mulligan lol?!?

2 years ago

It's a collectible card game term, lol. Essentially if you get a really rotten hand, you can go "yuck!" And discard it, at the expense of drawing one less card to replace it.

2 years ago
Ok then!

Also, I won't pass or Mulligan this round after all.