Non-threaded

Forums » Creative Corner » Read Thread

Take part in collaborative works, share your short stories, poems, original artwork and more.

Beef with Soy: preliminary writing battle

2 years ago

Let's start this battle with a bang! With this thread I officially dare @Soy_No_More to a writing duel. Because I'm the challenger, I give Soy the leeway to choose the theme and the time. I can battle you tomorrow if that's what you want. 

To make it more interesting, if I lose, Soy gets a fully rendered drawing of his choosing from me (think of it as a fun little Christmas card and free labor) and my 100 points (a Christmas present to save you out of debt). If Soy loses, then I feel that it is his obligation to drop all his petty albeit slightly amusing feuds with Ebon. 

Look we even have beef! I like puns. I wanted to find a picture with beef and soy beans, but couldn't find any good ones.

2 years ago
Here you go:

You have to search for edamame. (But all of these things are of course too food-like to ever grace a Dutch table, I understand your confusion.)

2 years ago

This should be fun to see. Assuming Soy responds of course. 

2 years ago
Let’s go, another duel!

@Soy_No_More you better get going…

2 years ago
I'll take Ebon's post in this thread going along with this as proof he changed his mind about having someone stand in for him. Darius, from what I've seen of your storygame you're a much better writer than Ebon, so this is smart of him.

I don't REALLY think he should be allowed to take credit for "winning" through your work of course, but I think everyone would see through that anyway and a drawing is very tempting...beating you and winning some art would be a much cooler thing than just beating someone like Ebon, even if it would be a lot more difficult. So okay, I'll take the deal.

I'll even pick fantasy since everyone likes it so much and I want to try something different than what I've been working on with my main setting. I think mizal picks the themes but if not I'll come up with something.

We can do this any time.

2 years ago

Good to know you still can't read properly. Duels are fun to watch. That's all my post meant.  

All terms and conditions are to be taken up with Darius and Mizal. They can sort out all of the details as I legitimately have nothing to do with Darius' gauntlet being thrown at you. 

Good luck though. 

2 years ago
Look at this peace maker here.

Is Soy really going to take this?!

2 years ago
Oh dear. It seems Ebon does not accept the terms. I'm still willing to stick to the agreement with Darius, but it seems he won't consider this ended until we have our own duel.

Very strange, it seems like we could've just done that in the first place and avoided all this. But now I have an opportunity for some nice art so it worked out.

2 years ago

Well, I'll then take this post as a compliment, but I'm honestly not that great of a writer compared to Ebon. He's been doing this stuff longer than me and he's probably a native speaker as well. 

Nevertheless, I'm glad that you won't back out of my challenge. If you had read this message on the say of posting and if you don't mind it too much, I would want this battle finished as soon as possible. (What about starting from 30 november and having 2 December 23:59 EST as the deadline?) Otherwise, let's start it on saturday and have the deadline on monday 23:59 EST. Maximum wordcount is 2500 words as usual.

Fantasy is fine by me. As for the theme, pick whatever you think is going to increase the likelihood of you winning if you really want to have a free drawing. Let's not give Mizal any more stress than necessary.  

2 years ago
Start it tonight/tomorrow, I'll kick off all the bracket duels at the same time too. 11:59pm CST to the same time Dec 2nd.

For you and Soy, since this is all about each of your passionate feelings towards Ebon, the prompt will be "the chosen hero". Have fun with that old trope.

Broad interpretations are fine as usual, just focus on impressing with a good story.

@Darius_Conwright
@Soy_No_More

2 years ago
Actually I guess since I just gave the prompt away it SECRETLY could start right now.

2 years ago

In case either of you want a couple lines more worth of context...

A world on the cusp of disaster. Two sides on the verge of destroying each other, but there is hope. In the form of a hero. Now this will hero..., will they be able to rise into the mantle of hero? 

This are Mizal's favorite literary lines on the whole site, I'm pretty sure. 

2 years ago
It's not necessary for these to be fanfic, they just have to use the general "chosen one" trope.

But I'm sure this will be very inspirational to our contestants just the same.

2 years ago

Oh. I wasn't trying to add requirements there. Just have to take every opportunity to use that paragraph when I have a chance. 

Not very many people mention A Chosen Hero these days

2 years ago
funny I haven't seen anybody mention your other stories either

2 years ago

Have you read The Sword of Shannara or The Heritage of Shannara? If not, they are great examples of A Chosen Hero even if they are a tad long.

2 years ago
VALHALLA

2 years ago
done and sent

2 years ago

I'm done too!

2 years ago
Starting to look like the bracket duels might get just one automatic winner, unless three stories come in in the next three hours.

Darius and Soy pulled through at least. I'm going to put all (or just one) of the threads up tomorrow morning and let the voting phase carry through the weekend. (Unless it really does just come down to Darius vs Soy and no one else....)

2 years ago

Since your post was written 3 hours ago, does that mean the other 3 contestants dropped out of the duels?

2 years ago

I now wonder who the automatic winner is in the bracketed duel. If it's Bondoggle, then it might be the most surprising comeback I've seen.

2 years ago
We're still going to have the duels today, I recruited a couple peeps to crank out something quickly.

2 years ago
And the missing stories have been replaced, congrats to the people who make it possible to say 'hey I need a story on this subject before I get home', and then they just, do it.

2 years ago

I'm even more amazed how you were able to get three people to start writing story prompts like crazy. Pfff.. it's ridiculously fast. I'm really getting curious what they have written! It's probably good.