Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

What is the average time you take to write a story

10 years ago

Hi guys,

Writing my first story on this site. Its about playing the role as an animal. I know that doesn't sound exciting, but I'm trying to make it pretty deep and meaningful. Since starting, some days I get in the mood of writing, other days my brains not working much.

Was just curious, how long does it usually take for you guys to start and complete a story? I know it all depends on the quality and length of course so I guess to be more clear, a pretty well written story?  Not incredibly long?

I'm also curious what is the longest time someone took to write a story? The shortest?

Anyways, was just on my mind while writing, since its taking a lot longer than I originally thought.

Take care all, and hope to read, and write some good stuff in the future!

10 years ago

My shitty story took, a week to think of, a few days to write the first 'chapter'/story. And I still have to write more.

Mine was about...22 pages I think?

Could have been a lot better.

10 years ago

I think mine started conceptually 5+ years ago.

But in terms of writing, I've probably worked at it since around January. So in ten months I've written I think just over 100 game pages, which, I feel probably isn't so much as I could have done.

I was at Uni most the time until August, then moving house... Then I'm also a nut for gaming particularly RPGs, so my story occasionally found itself on the backburner as I played games, The Last of Us being the latest to distract me. 

And of course, there's all the days I just cant be bothered, or I have no inspiration to write. Sometimes a good game will spark the creative juices and get me at the writing board again but it's rare.

Anyway, I haven't finished yet! I don't think you need to put a date on when to finish your story by and honestly, I don't think you need to worry about how long the game is taking you. What matters is it is written how you want it, without pressure or the need to feel rushed. Just enjoy it, it'll be out when it's done and not a moment sooner.

10 years ago

JJJ's Order of the Midnight Sun supposedly took 3 days of constant writing, but Endmaster's Eternal took a LONG time, and so is Berka's game(s). 

10 years ago

Mine are going to be long... *sighs* I should start working on it more.

10 years ago
Here's mine: Bloodlines- 1 day. M2M- 2 days. Blackbirds- Half hour. The Darkness- 1 day. Vampirium- 1 day. So, well...I never write long stories you see. Whenever I get an idea I just create a flowchart, rough write (complete 1 page in 2 3 sentences without any detail.), then flesh it out. My stories are mostly limited to 20 to 30 pages. 2 years ago I though of creating a long epic fantasy game in the veins of OMS but failed horrible. Since then I just do short stories.

10 years ago
I guess most people never complete their stories because they set out create the greatest game ever and lack of planning. That should be avoided. You can check my article for few tips (shameless self advertisment).

10 years ago

Yeah! You go promoting yourself like a shameless whore =P

10 years ago
^ hate message?

10 years ago

Not likely - more likely a misfired attempt at facetious humor :)

10 years ago

Yeah . . . (note the =P - if that face is present I most certainly mean no ill)

10 years ago

Really? I thought I was the only one who used faces like that... loser 0_0

10 years ago

Thanks . . . o_o

10 years ago

So (Negative;) I use...

Method 3,

STORYgame

I dunno if I use Florence writing... The difficult thing for me is wondering if I'm writing enough for the reader. Cos I know my ideas, I know the point I'm making, I can making it super-subtle for myself, but for the reader? Exposition time! Oh and the question of choices - An endless debate I'm sure; Should a choice matter, or should it just direct the general direction of a story? Or both, or neither? Should it have an impact? How much if so? A minor one? A massive one?

Will the reader actually pick up on the subtle choices? Will they notice the four different ways you've written the character succeeding in battle based on a stat choice from twenty pages ago? 

Personally, I think most people see the 'big impacts' on multi-playthroughs but often completely miss the minor ones, so life and death choices will be obvious but a subtle influence on how you conduct yourself in battle might not.

I'll shut up now. >_>

10 years ago

Shortes time: ArrowzworrA's stories, approximately 5 minutes each.

TEH MOTSNER KILS U U DED!

10 years ago

U WLK N BAR, GET DRIK, U GET EAT BY MOTSR U DED

10 years ago

How long it takes to start a story?

It happens two or three times a month on paper, several times that in my head.

But finishing a story?

....mmh, I dunno, eternity?

10 years ago

The Eternal struggle, oh how to finish?