Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

So I'm new here...

9 years ago

Well, I enjoyed many of the storygames here since a few years ago but I've had 0 communication with the community here so far.

I wanted to write one too, but I soon gave up on it as English is my second language (I did study at the first language level), not to mention I suck at languages, academical performance not withstanding. Not that it has anything to do with actually coming up with stories.

Since getting into college, I realised that my English was only going to continue deteriorating. Might as well just randomly write at least to amuse myself. :P

Speaking of which, am I obligated to use US spelling?

So I'm new here...

9 years ago

Welcome to the site, enjoy your stay!

I personally use British English but some (Probably most) of us use American.

So I'm new here...

9 years ago
Welcome to the community. :)

You are far too modest. Your English is perfect and tons better than most native speakers'.

So I'm new here...

9 years ago

Welcome to the site! 

Trust me, Your speaking is perfectly fine, Sometimes, (Even though I've been speaking English my whole life.) I mess up pretty much everything in my sentence. This is probably because I have an IQ of 7. :D Have fun!

So I'm new here...

9 years ago

Thanks, people. That's some quick welcoming. Glad I didn't lurk for long. :D *proceeds to go lurking forever

Seems like I focused too much on the gaming (avid gamer here) and neglected other fun aspects of this site.

Btw, nah, gotta make a good first impression y'know? That's like my entire vocabulary right there! Just wait till you see my Powderful England ® !! :D

So I'm new here...

9 years ago

There ya go.

;D

So I'm new here...

9 years ago

Welcome. I would like to say that your writing is quite eloquent for someone whose native language is not English. I don't think anyone will care which dialect you use, so feel free to use the one with which you are more comfortable. You should fit in perfectly well. :)

So I'm new here...

9 years ago

Yeah, guy, your English is fine, trust me. We've seen far, far worse...

Anyways, welcome to the site and enjoy your stay! If you need anything, ask me a question via PM.

So I'm new here...

9 years ago

Welcome, welcome.  We're all here to help wherever we can (some constructive, some — not so much).  xD

Glad to have ya!

So I'm new here...

9 years ago

'ello. Welcome. There are several people here with English as a second language, no one's that picky about it. I don't think so anyway.

So I'm new here...

9 years ago

Welcome, your English is great. Just remember that Uncle Sam spells best!

So I'm new here...

9 years ago
Use whatever spelling you want as long as people can understand it :P Welcome, enjoy your stay.

So I'm new here...

9 years ago

Get a phone and put an American teenager on the other end. You'll feel like you created the damn language.

Any-ways, I'm glad to see you joining! :D Try using English most of the time, or you might force people in-to using Google Translate, which we all know we're too lazy to.

So I'm new here...

9 years ago

If you want to see terrible, terrible English (I used two terrible's as repetition, which helps to emphasize how bad something really is), you may look at the following :

1 liek 3U775.  d0|\|7 u?

th3r w45 4 k1d woh leived...n he d1d.  liek dis if u cra evertiem.

^Now, imagine half a million messages like these going into the Internet every third of an hour.

^In perspective to that, you're doing just fine.  (But yes, your English is deteriorating.  Should you wish to keep it, please take a multilingual job.  Should you wish to not continue your English, please work in your respective area.)

Also, while the site is more inclined to stick to Oxford US diction as the most formal of writings, we condone UK spelling and non-Oxford as well.  Grammar preferences, on the other hand, may vary.

So I'm new here...

9 years ago

Do you speak French?

EDIT:  And of course, welcome to the site!

So I'm new here...

9 years ago

Welcome! I'm glad you've left the ranks of the lurkers to join our insane wonderful community!

If you meant to impress us with your first post, then you've succeeded. Your English looks perfect, and even if you've used up all of your vocabulary, you're still miles ahead of some of the storygames that have already been published on this site.

You're free to use either kind of spelling, as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, glad to have you around, and I hope we'll be of some help in keeping your English at a literate level.

So I'm new here...

9 years ago

Thank you again, everyone.

Actually it's not as bad as having trouble forming basic sentences. Most of my problems are regarding speaking though, which is entirely different from writing/typing. Nothing a few months of getting used to wouldn't solve should I choose to migrate. I do speak English daily, albeit mostly with a strange mix of local languages which will sound funny in any other context than informal interaction with another local.

In other words, it's not that big of a deal; merely part of a self introduction, I guess. 

I just came here to read the comments just came here for the regular forum posts, with no noble intentions of personal language reformation, so please don't treat me like penguinscoins a student here.

Oh and, sorry, my mother tongue is CHING CHONG LING LONG Chinese.

PS: U sure 'Murica even spells? JK.

So I'm new here...

9 years ago

I speak a mix of Chinese and English as well. XD I actually have the exact opposite problem you do - I speak Chinese fluently, but my writing is deteriorating since typing Chinese gives you automatic prompts for which character you want to insert, haha.

(And no, 'Murica can't spell, but it likes to pretend it does!)

So I'm new here...

9 years ago

Greetings, Yap!

Don't be shy to make a story. Your English seems fine and I'm sure many of us here would be willing to edit it for you of needed. Doesn't really matter though, I hope you enjoy your time as a member of the site.

So I'm new here...

9 years ago

Hello yap1996, your English is brilliant by the way. I also suggest if you're going to enter the forums you get yourself a profile picture, it isn't necessary but it means that we know who you are.

p.s. My first language is English and I needed auto correct to spell necessary xD.

So I'm new here...

9 years ago

Thx peeps! I can haz lulzspeak naw?

WAIT WHA--?!! I'm a....blank...thing? I'm nothing?! I don't even exist!? Or am I a blank sheet of paper? Or an angle glowing so bright you can't see me? Or an angel's true form?

Better rectify this. PROMPTLY. 

So I'm new here...

9 years ago
Yes, you don't want to be associated with a certain other user with no avatar.

So I'm new here...

9 years ago

# @coins

So I'm new here...

9 years ago

Right, I was tempted to be represented by a stack of coins or something, but further baiting wouldn't work would it?

I mean, you didn't have to do that! 

How about this harmless little...thing

So I'm new here...

9 years ago

He's a red fox.

So I'm new here...

9 years ago

Oh I thought he was directing at his new pro pic, but yes it's a drawing of foxy the pirate fox from fnaf(Five nights at Freddy's) that I stole borrowed off Tumblr

So I'm new here...

9 years ago

Oh, I thought he meant "how about this, harmless little...thing?"

So I'm new here...

9 years ago

Only he/she knows

@yap1996

So I'm new here...

9 years ago

Well, it is up to the reader's interpretation ;)

Best clarification ever.

So I'm new here...

9 years ago

Really?

So I'm new here...

9 years ago

K, I meant my avatar. It looks harmless enough doesn't it?

So I'm new here...

9 years ago

I don't know. The thing on his/her chest gives me doubts about his/her harmlessness.

So I'm new here...

9 years ago

It's a carrot

So I'm new here...

9 years ago
No wonder James is so scared. Carrots are fucking deadly.

So I'm new here...

9 years ago

Fuck you, Captain Anorexia.

So I'm new here...

9 years ago

Purpose of thread fulfilled!

So I'm new here...

9 years ago
See, you've already got the hang of how this forum works. Also, nice avatar. >~<

So I'm new here...

9 years ago

Welcome, you're English is great. I'd recommend making a storygame, because the only way to improve, is to practice. Anyways, I hope you have fun here, we're mostly harmless.

So I'm new here...

9 years ago

... Mostly.

So I'm new here...

9 years ago

http://chooseyourstory.com/story/bush

Other than this. (Sorry about non-clickiness, I'm on mobile)

So I'm new here...

9 years ago

Thx. Of course I'm planning one with a "throwing the gamer/reader off" and defying conventions BS while balancing it with actual storygame (note the lack of CAPS) elements. I'm not into writing at all though, as in usually not even remotely keen.

Not that I'll want a progress motivation thread or something this early (15 over ??? pages ). One thing I'd like to point out is that the forum might be distracting many from actually writing. :V

Also, WHAT THE ACTUAL...I DON'T EVEN... *shimmay*This story had me stumped more than any of EndMaster's work. The buildup, the setting, the plot branching and not to mention dat character development...