Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

'ello

9 years ago

Don't need help with my first game, just saying hi.

How about a poll?
Do you prefer serious or silly narrators? explain if possible.

Halfway through my story I decided to rewrite my pages in a silly tone because it i more me, but personally I dont like playing silly stories on this site.

'ello

9 years ago

EndMaster is a kinda silly narrator in his own way.  His rating for Love SICK tells volumes of how funny it really is.

'ello

9 years ago
Hiya.

I like both, depending on the story.

'ello

9 years ago
I prefer a narrator with a twisted, deadpan sense of humor.

'ello

9 years ago
I agree with Ogre, both can be done well, so it really depends on the individual story. But even a serious narrator can be humorous on occasion.

'ello

9 years ago
Welcome to the site, enjoy your stay!

'ello

9 years ago

Lovely to meet you, and good luck.

Honestly, I think dark humor is the way to go.

'ello

9 years ago

Welcome to this site!

While I don't have a actual favorite, I am writing a story with a silly narrator now.

'ello

9 years ago

Check my first game. :P If you do, you'll see that I believe a good story has a mix of both. Giving the player a few fun, comical scenes keeps things from getting too heavy and causing people to lose interest, but you can't be silly all the time, or people won't get invested. It's not easy to strike a balance, but I try, unless a story is meant to be a straight up tragedy or comedy.

'ello

9 years ago
I finally beat GOLAD.

'ello

9 years ago

I saw that. 0.o I thought you were trying to beat T.O.W, but cool. That reminds me, though. I meant to address your comment: 

You read way too much into the Coyote god's character. He, as an entity, is not strictly a benevolent god. Sure, he'll help people that please him, but I never said that he only helps good people. I also never called him a devourer of evil spirits. If you'll notice, he helps directly in a battle precisely once, and that was because he "hates cats." (As far as you know.) He gives you an amulet that contains a kind of benevolent power once you've passed his tests and lets you do whatever you want with it. Truthfully, though, he could go either way, and he likes individual people, not causes. (For instance: He does precisely nothing to help Jace / Kyra, or Layne.) 

Also, I never said who put it there or why, but it's entirely possible she intended to harness its power. @jamescoker1226

'ello

9 years ago
I guess I read too deeply into the "The god of the desert thirsts for evil blood" thing. Also, I did beat TOW, but I didn't get the best ending. I kinda screwed and now I have to start again.

'ello

9 years ago

Eh, the coyote is usually a god of chaos or a trickster god, but in GOLAD, he's referred to as the god of the game. :P The game itself doesn't ... really favor good or evil, does it? ... Ah. Um. I'm confused, then. What ending -did- you get? o.0

'ello

9 years ago
Oh, my ending in TOW? I got the one with lots of gay vampire lovin'. In other words, after I learned about the library, I chose to stay with Nikki.

'ello

9 years ago

Yeah, that's what I meant ... wait ... gay? xD Really? Do you mean lesbian or were you both dudes? Not judging, just curious and mildly surprised.

(I like being fair to whatever potential readers are / are into, which is why I shoot for diversity when I can, but I'm always curious as to who on the site that ability appeals to, I guess. Not really sure who I would expect to pick it or anything, I just find it surprising when people actually do.)

'ello

9 years ago
Nikki (or Nicholas) was stated to be the son of fang. I was playing as Jace, a male. Now, I kinda shook my head when I reached that end and it said we tried to have babies, even going so far as to try magic (which, strangely, nobody opposes, despite the whole 'evil witch queen' thing). Yes, I get the whole "quarter vampires are sterile" thing, but I find it hard that they try not only to break that barrier, but also the "two men can't have babies" barrier.

'ello

9 years ago

xD ... "Nikki" can either be "Nicholas" or "Nicole", man. That's why I picked a gender neutral nickname. It all depends on how you respond to Darren / Selene in Satorius. If you show interest in one of them, Nikki's gender will match theirs. Alternatively, if you choose to be platonic with one of them, Nikki takes on the opposite gender instead. I was going to just make Nikki's gender opposite of yours, but after making multiple pairings possible in GOLAD, it felt a tad lazy of me.

:P I thought about adding scripting in the game to say "Nikki's heritage AND your gender" but at the time, it was way too much trouble and I was in a pretty big hurry. "Going so far as"? Hm. I thought I implied that it was the only thing you guys tried. Besides, haven't you ever played "Choice of Romance: Affairs of the Court"? They totally do that. Except it works.   

(I actually lazily added in the bit about magic just to try and justify the fact that you two even thought of kids if you picked a same-sex pairing, but evidently, in your case at least, it backfired. Alas.)

'ello

9 years ago

I knew it was a gender neutral name, which is why I specified that it was "Nicholas". So, if I choose to save Darren because he was at least putting up a fight (meaning that he wasn't as useless to me as the cowering girl), I get stuck in a relationship with a male vampire? Edit: I'm not implying there is anything wrong with that, though.

No, I haven't played that game. Back to TOW, I find it odd that anyone in the guild would know magic.

'ello

9 years ago

Ah. ... No. If you hug Darren, the game is scripted to take that as a "no homo bro" que and make Nikki a girl. =\

:P Why is that odd? And the only one who knows magic there is Fang, actually. The vampire in GOLAD was able to wield magic, too, so it was a nod to the first game.

'ello

9 years ago
Well, if you decide to make some alterations to the game after madglee okays it, you should look into that. I hugged Darren; I didn't kiss him.

But, fang is half-vampire. It states that the other vampires didn't really accept him. Chances are his human mother wouldn't know magic, so how did he learn it.

'ello

9 years ago

*hums* ... Well, you also should've only had the option to stay with Nikki if you decided you felt something deeper for him than friendship, so ... xD you can't pin your gay vampire love solely on my scripting.

'ello

9 years ago
No, but I am saying that if the results do not match what you were aiming for, you might want to look into it.

'ello

9 years ago

I realize that, I'm joking. =\ Actually, now that I think about it, I -may- have scripted Nikki's gender to match who you save, but ... I don't think I did. -_- It's frustrating as hell having to wait to fix / investigate these bugs.

As for your previous comment: I never said Fang's father disowned him or anything. His father taught him magic. It's just that, as Fang grew older, things got ... really awkward, due to the war and politics and such.

Anyway, I mentioned the huge library of books in his quarters, yes? He's studied it pretty intensely. >_> You do realize his goal in life, other than protecting Nikki, is to destroy a 1000+ year old sorceress, yes? xD Of course he knows about magic.

'ello

9 years ago
Damn it, I just encountered another unbeatable bandit.

'ello

9 years ago

xD Throw your sickle...

'ello

9 years ago

It took me a couple run-throughs to figure that out.  :)

'ello

9 years ago
I mean I get an error.

'ello

9 years ago

No. If you throw your sickle, you won't get an error. Don't attack him normally, just throw your weapon.

'ello

9 years ago
Okay.

'ello

9 years ago

Mind you, you winning in that scenario is left purely to chance, but it's about 50/50.

'ello

9 years ago

Ah. Sorry, I  (unintentionally) lied to you. I DID make Nikki match the gender of whoever you chose to save in Satorius. So no. It's actually not an error, but it was further proof that I didn't get to refine the game as much as I wanted. During the development, I think I considered that a bit too arbitrary and I was planning on changing it, but I forgot.

@jamescoker1226

'ello

9 years ago
It's cool. I wish there was a way I could view a list of the variables you used and see your scripts (or at least all of the instances where you changed a variable.

'ello

9 years ago

Hmm? For learning purposes or for beta-reading purposes?

'ello

9 years ago
Both, but primarily so I can find why bugs are happening and offer an author better advice.

'ello

9 years ago

It would be kind of a cool feature, I suppose.

'ello

9 years ago
I'm gonna throw that in the wishing well. I don't know about the feasibility of the feature, but it would make answering questions in the advanced editor forum much easier.

'ello

9 years ago

Or for cheatin'?

...jus' kid'n...  :)

'ello

9 years ago

Welcome.

'ello

9 years ago

Ah. Oops. xD I meant to say this earlier ... before I hijacked your thread ... Welcome!