Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

Favorite games - not by well known authors.

9 years ago

^Basically what the title says. So no Endmaster, JJJ, Madglee, Seth, Sindriv, or any other authors you would usually automatically recommend to someone asking about good storygames.

9 years ago

The Lost Expedition by @Will11 is one of my personal favorites.

9 years ago

Will has 6 stories and 2 of them are featured, how is he not well known?

9 years ago

I've never heard of him.

9 years ago

That's because I spend more time writing than on the forums :)

9 years ago

You've been posting a lot more lately, plus you leave a lot of long comment on stories. I figured between all that and your stories everyone knew who you were by now.

9 years ago

Haha apparently not :) I've been getting into the forums because there's some interesting topics cropping up like this one :) I'm not surprised if people haven't heard of me, I was on this site a month before Kiel mentioned I had to read EndMaster's stories and I my response was basically "Final boss who?" Then I read Trash and was like "sweeeeeet"

9 years ago

I always thought it was because he primarily writes Edutainment games, which, honestly, isn't the genre people go to read first when they find a reading&writing site.

He's a really solid author though!

9 years ago

Thanks Malk :)

9 years ago

Wait, I joined like two, maybe three days ago (as guest) and Will was like everywhere, especially in comments. 

9 years ago

These games are unfinished (but great), and their authors haven't published any other storygames to my knowledge. 

Blood For Poppies

A Jinni of the Seven Winds

When In Rome

Vendetta: Rise of a Gangster

Team Zero

Also:

The Runaway Game

9 years ago

I absolutely loved Vendetta, never played the others, though.

9 years ago

Yeah, I can't wait until he's finished it :)

9 years ago

All I can say is, it's one of the few games out there that makes you feel more badass when you're not threatening/attempting to bash someone's face in than when you are. That's the hallmark of a good storyteller right there.

9 years ago

Yeah, I know what you mean. COG's other gangster game fell down a little in that department imo, though it did have it's own good points.

9 years ago

Addendum: Hey, wait a second... I've been doing a replay, and apparently mugging a guy on the way to the bar, taking his money, and threatening him until he wets his pants raises my status as a kind and moral person just because I let him go?... I'm not sure how else I could have gotten my benevolence to 64% between the Morgue and the Bar, other than just being nice to the receptionist after you tell them your name, because I did that before and it didn't really sway my percentages too much. Or maybe it was because I chose to say "It made me a better person and stuff." when I was talking about my philosophy on life? Although, given the narrator's response I thought that was just my guy being sarcastic. I must've done something right, though.

9 years ago

I'm not sure...I've never been able to access this game's code. I think that response is your guy being genuine though, because it later influences whether or not he can be gay (I think).

9 years ago

Ohh... So that's why I could choose to wink at the tailor or not and the whole Cafe thing with Donna was mysteriously missing... And that's why it would've been "dangerous" to have a "genuine friendship"... Kinda strange, though, since when I chose the "I didn't give a damn, let's just bash some heads in!" I still had the option (I think) to choose a male prostitute in the massage parlor, or maybe I just wasn't reading very carefully...

9 years ago

I asked him about it:

'The option to choose a male prostitute at Big Jim's place should always appear, regardless. Choosing this option will always result in Adamo the tailor shortly thereafter trying his luck (i.e. it's taken as a pretty good indicator that the player may wish to play a gay character).

However, I didn't want to have to force the player into intimacy with a prostitute just to prompt Adamo into making his move, but neither did I want Adamo to always try his luck regardless - he's much too clever and cautious to behave that way. It suits (no pun intended!) him better to have more of a 'sixth sense' about these things, so the earlier choice of "More caring, more charitable..." will also prompt Adamo to try his luck, regardless of the choice made at the brothel.

Moreover, by this means it's also possible for a character to indicate bisexuality, by choosing a female prostitute at the brothel while also being open to Adamo's advances as a result of the earlier "More caring..." option.

I know it's far from ideal for various reasons, but for some reason it annoys me when a Choice Game simply asks me outright: "Do you prefer men, women, or both?" I feel that as game designers we should be able to make that determination (and ones like it) based on rather less direct choices, as part of the actual story.'

9 years ago

I enjoyed Back to the 90's.

9 years ago

Farewell my Childhood Self by Applegirl is the best story games on the site that wasn't written by Endmaster, Sethaniel, Berkazerka, Sindri or JJJ. The Secret of Daphne and the two Project Origin stories by Simplesabley are all very good stories while Ashen Snake's The Devil's Fire, casmith's The Adventures of Phoebe and Gmmcghee's Avery M, Dead Man's Journal are also fantastic. The reason these authors aren't so well known is that none of them are really active on the site anymore so no one sees their names in the forums or comment sections of new stories and goes to read their stuff :(

9 years ago

Also, with the exception of sabley, none of those authors was ever very active in forums. 

9 years ago

Perhaps the path to CYOA fame lies through the forums rather than through story games :)

9 years ago

Avery M, Dead Man's Journal is also one of my faves ^_^

9 years ago

I enjoyed this http://chooseyourstory.com/story/the-vampire-hunter waaaay more than I probably should've thought I would. There are a lot of 'random' story games and most of them fail to amuse me, but for some reason--at the time--this worked.

9 years ago

Already read that one, and found all the paths on it. I like the 'I'm something much worse' and then one one where you say your one true weakness is any kind of bullet, and then attack.

9 years ago

Yeah ... being an eldritch abomination in any game is pretty cool, honestly, and being a werewolf instead was fun. 'Vampire hunter-hunter' made me laugh on the concept alone. (I guess this story is proof that it's not that hard to win me over if I find something genuinely funny.)

9 years ago

Rommel, Ashen_Snake, and Karacan are (currently) lesser-known authors with good stories.

9 years ago

Yeah, Devils Fire is one of my favorites.

9 years ago

Have you read Captured! by tsmpaul? I thought it had unique concept, with its inception-like plot.

9 years ago

Also his Light Space storygame.

9 years ago

I like Rommel's WW2 Strategy game.

I find it easy and enjoyable. It's easy for me since I studied WW2. I also know a lot about WW2 Weaponry used by Allies and Axis forces.

9 years ago

A good one is necromancer.

9 years ago

Alright, first, reply to the original post if you're continuing on the main topic of the thread, second, EndMaster is the most popular user on the site, so Necromancer doesn't count.