Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

New stories that seem kinda like a problem?

8 years ago

I'm going to gripe about something, yeah? Its related to writing though, so I find its somewhat important. A lot of the newer stories in the like, unpublished area, seem to really just be incredibly low in standard. I want to try and make the quality higher for just around the board in new stories, since I like to read them, but there aren't a lot of really good 'new' ones.

Is there any way I can give the criticism I need to help improve those new stories, or maybe someone would just like to talk about it? Its just kinda frustrating, since I love reading, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of quality when it comes to new stories.

8 years ago

It was my understanding that the recent crop of new stories were getting better now that the Warrior Cat plague has been purged.

I guess you could always PM people and tell them directly if the comment section isn't enough.

8 years ago

Unpublished area?

8 years ago

I was wondering about that, too. I don't think we have one. o.0

8 years ago

Sturgeon's Law: 90% of everything is crap.

...an idea which was originally conceived in the context of professionally published fiction. Considering that CYS is a self-publishing platform, I'm surprised that the ratio of crap to good stuff isn't worse than it is.

8 years ago

Stick to the featured stories unless you're willing to pull your rubber boots on and wade through a bunch of crap.

But you think the average story quality is bad now you should have seen it before Warrior Cats was banned. Keep in mind there's no minimum age to join and so a large portion of the people posting stories here are literal 12 year olds.

I'm sure you've seen the comments section and were about to figure out how it worked. PMs are also an option, but you'll find the worst writers here are generally the ones least likely to respond favorably to constructive criticism.

8 years ago

Though I will not unpublish any of my stories I've already created and make them better, I will try harder on the next story I write to improve based on the criticism I get. I personally feel that if a story's extremely bad, personally pming someone about it and explaining how to fix it might be the best route to take. Most people leave bad comments out in the open, which can make someone feel embarrassed about their stories and stop writing all together rather than try to get better. Of course, if you pm them, be as nice as you can, but no promises anyone will respond or fix it. They could have a series like I have that without the first few games that may not have been as good as the next in line, the story would be ruined. I wish I could unpublish my "Where the HELL am I????" games and redo all of them, but I really want to keep going with the story, so I'm just figuring that if people are willing to suffer through my bad beginning hopefully by the end, it will be worth it. Anyway, sorry for the ramble about my own games, my suggestion would be to pm them if you have heavy criticism.