Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Yet another death

8 years ago

Harper Lee, the author of To Kill a Mockingbird died yesterday at the age of 89. I imagine this was after hearing that 50 Shades of Grey sold more copies than To Kill a Mocking Bird. (Got to say, I considered jumping off a cliff screaming "There is no hope left for humanity!" when I heard that too.)

Can only say that this woman created one of the greatest literary masterpieces of all time which I highly encourage everyone to read. Also I am really glad that shortly before her death, she decided to release her only other published novel Go Set a Watchman, which I suppose could be called her first draft of To Kill a Mockingbird, (which she changed drastically after being advised to set the entire story around Scout's childhood.) I have REALLY got to get round to reading that.

Yet another death

8 years ago

We had to read it in school so...

Yet another death

8 years ago

Good school ^_^

Yet another death

8 years ago

We had to watch the movie too...in black and white.

Yet another death

8 years ago

Awesome movie ^_^

Yet another death

8 years ago

That sucks, I love the character of Atticus Finch who also wins the prize of most fun to say first name :)

Yet another death

8 years ago

Me too! I think he's one of the greatest fictional characters of all time! (Will be interesting to read the original Atticus Finch in Go Set a Watchman, who is apparently racist.) cheeky

Yet another death

8 years ago

GOD DAMMIT QUETZCOATL! HOW MANY GOOD SOULS MUST YOU CONSUME BEFORE THE ECONOMY IS FIXED AND TRUMP BECOMES CATATONIC!? WHY DIDN'T THE FIRST THREE SATISFY YOU!?

TAKE JOSS WHEDON INSTEAD, I BEG YOU! TAKE JOSS WHEDON INSTEAD!

Yet another death

8 years ago

Nah, I want firefly season 2.

Yet another death

8 years ago

Another good soul lost in this cruel world. WHY? I just read her book towards the end of last year for my 10th grade English class, and now she is gone.

Yet another death

8 years ago
I bet 5 pesos bill cosby is next.

Yet another death

8 years ago

5 pesos? You mean, like, 50 cents?

Yet another death

8 years ago
more like 30 cents xD

Yet another death

8 years ago

Nah, he's gonna live forever cheeky

Yet another death

8 years ago

Yet another death

8 years ago

Very sad :( 

I read it in school too. 

I was going to read Go Set a Watchman last summer for school, but all the libraries around me didn't have it because they were all checked out or reserved.

Yet another death

8 years ago
Did you like To Kill a Mockingbird?

Yet another death

8 years ago

Yes. Now I'm curious as to what Go Set a Watchman is about.

Yet another death

8 years ago
What book did you read for school over the summer instead?

Yet another death

8 years ago

The House on Mango Street.

Yet another death

8 years ago
Really? Over Go Set a Watchman? I have that book right here (Mango Street). It takes less than an hour to read, lol.

Yet another death

8 years ago

That's why I'm glad I chose Mango Street! We (the eighth graders, moving on to ninth) had to choose out of about five books to read over the summer. I don't know why Mango Street was on there, lol.

I go to a school that's both middle and high school, btw.

Yet another death

8 years ago
What other books were there to choose from?

Yet another death

8 years ago

I remember one called Thirteen Reasons Why, but that's the only one, other than Watchman and Mango Street that I can remember.

Yet another death

8 years ago
Is it by Jay Asher?

Yet another death

8 years ago

Yeah. Have you read it before?

Yet another death

8 years ago
No. I looked it up just right now.

Yet another death

8 years ago

Haha. Are you a fan of reading?

Yet another death

8 years ago
Meh. Not too much. I'm a good reader, but I mostly read books when I have to.

Yet another death

8 years ago

This is probably getting a little too off topic. We should stop.

PM me if you want.

Yet another death

8 years ago

Th greatest literary masterpiece was not her original vision in the first place...

Seems like something I'd regret, if I were her.  Happy she managed to put up Watchman before she passed.

Yet another death

8 years ago

Yeah, that's why I really want to read it. A lot of the time a writer will have an idea of a book they want to write and some even go out and write the entire book, but often times they have to change and adapt it based on what the publishers think the readers will want to see, so I think it'll be really interesting to take a book that's been praised as one of the greatest novel's ever written and see the story that the writer originally wanted to tell. ^_^

Yet another death

8 years ago

We talked about her other book that was just recently published. Our teacher didn't believe that Lee wanted to actually put that book out there because she already had enough money, and didn't feel that the book would be necessary. Once she got a new financial manager though, that is when the rumors of a second book came about. Did Lee ever want that book to come out? We will never know the true answer now.