Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Something besides writing?

7 years ago

I know most of your hobbies/skills would include reading or writing, but besides that, do you play instruments? Do sports? Have any weird  hidden talents? Can you dance? Draw? Are you interested in starting something? Any stories on other hobbies or achievements you have in them?

I for one draw anime/manga and have an unpublished comic sort of business at my school, and make comics about me and my friends made up adventures. I also kind of enjoy filming though I don't do it much and what I make isn't very professional. I tried the violin but a string broke and I've had to get a replacement for a few months now, and I wasn't able to take up violin in fourth grade and now I can't take it in middle school since the other kids are like hella amazing! So for now I've tried learning Beethoven on the piano. 

7 years ago

I play piano and tennis.

I'm really bad at classical music, but I can play by ear decently (shameless plug).

7 years ago

Oh wow, that's cool. So how long have you played? (Both)

7 years ago

Tennis 9 years piano 2.

7 years ago

Wow, nine years, impressive. As well as the piano.

7 years ago

I spend a load of time sailing, and I do debating with school because I'm waiting for it to become ironically cool or something, and I play basketball.

7 years ago

Debating is fun, but I never thought about joining the debate team. And I enjoy basketball even though I suck and annoy my team or friends when I lose points. And I loved sailing with my grandad before we moved away from the ocean.

7 years ago

Debating is pretty cool in our school, but no one in the club really sees them doing it in the future when they graduate :/

7 years ago
I like drawing and gaming. And singing awfully when I'm by myself xD
And listening to music. Like...a LOT

7 years ago

Same, except for I sing WAY TOO MUCH  at oh so rare occasions...

Unless there's a Disney movie playing. I belt out those songs like Scuttle from The Little Mermaid.

7 years ago
xD I am a shy child. I sing when I'm alone. Or in the shower. Or when I THINK I'm alone xD
And :o you draw? I'd love to see your art :D

What games do you play? Have you played No Man's Sky?

Sorry this turned into an interrogation xD I am um...bad with conversations

^-^

7 years ago

I never feel alone when I sing, wherever I sing.

And I'm a bit lazy to get pictures of my art onto here but I'm thinking of posting them to other places. Actually, though, I do have an Instagram where I post shitty drawings. Captain_French_Fry.

And actually, I know this sounds so typical for a twelve year old, but I play assorted horror games, Minecraft, Sims, Wii games, and CoD sometimes. But no, I haven't played that game but I'll check it out.

No worries. I sometimes scare people by my attempts at conversations by asking so much

7 years ago
I used to play Minecraft a bit. Um. If you want, we could play something together some time xD I think I still remember the password.
I love horror games! Talking of games, I recently got Medusa's Labyrinth from Steam. Have you played it before? :3

7 years ago

Oh Medusa's Labyrinth! I played that when my friend got it.

7 years ago
What did you think of it? :D
Also, what music do you like? c:

7 years ago

The effects were amazing, and the game made me fall off my chair a few times. Damn that monster thing was freaky!

7 years ago
:o Time to play that at night with headphones on! xD

7 years ago

Have you played No Man's Sky? I am really looking forward to it.

7 years ago

Aside from reading, i have an interest in cooking. That's not to say that i am good at it, but i do enjoy making me some wonderful pasta from time to time. And of course youtube videos, tons and tons of them. Mostly the educational ones.

7 years ago

Ah, yes, YouTube. So cooking, huh? Do any baking?

7 years ago

Actually, yes! I dont try it that often though. Most of the time i mess something up and my mother gets really mad, but i feel ive gotten better recently. I love making bread pudding.

7 years ago

Ooooooooohh bread pudding!

7 years ago

Yes, the gift from the gods themselves, some say. Do you cook and/or bake?

7 years ago

Oh right, if cooking counts than I'm pretty into that too.

I've dabbled with canning and preserving and making wine too, but probably not consistently enough to be considered a hobby.

7 years ago
I can't cook, so congratulations xD
My cooking is basically "I cooked up some Ramen noodles! Yay! Or: "Oh look, my eggs aren't THAT burned.

7 years ago

I tried peeling a potato yesterday and cut my finger. With a fucking potato peeler. I should get a little credit for figuring out how to use it as a weapon though, like, come on.

I am also the best I know at peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

7 years ago
I can make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches...when I have jelly and I'm not eating the peanut butter from the jar xD

7 years ago

Haha best way to eat it, unless you get caught.

7 years ago
*looks innocently up at you* U-uh what do you mean the peanut butter is m-missing? >.>

7 years ago

It's too bad that you don't know Tim.

7 years ago

It comes at a cost, you know. Namely overstimating your knowledge enough to try to experiment with stuff that no real chef would ever try in a million years, and then it being too late to regret it.

Pro tip: Never try to make your pancakes with spinach, banana and ketchup. Ever.

7 years ago

Good advice. I'll keep that in mind if I'm ever feeling over ambitious with pancakes.

7 years ago

Take out the ketchup and those pancakes will be great!

7 years ago

Well. Um. I'm okay with drawing. I can draw semi-realistic and manga. This may sound weird, but I like to organize things and make lists. Talking to friends is another hobby of mine. Studying? It's fun sometimes.... Oh! And singing. Yeah. I've been told I suck but I really dont care. It lets me curse people without getting into trouble. :3

7 years ago

hah, sounds like a pleasant idea.

7 years ago

7 years ago

I do a bit of theater. I used to do more when I was younger. 

7 years ago

Huh, I always thought you were straight.

7 years ago

Wow, Malk. Cool though I actually wouldn't have expected that.

7 years ago

I used to do a lot of arts and craft stuff for market day events in the little towns around here. Jewelry, soaps and candles, that kind of thing. Not so much anymore except the odd bit of beading since my mom passed away though. I keep thinking if like to get back into soapmaking but I don't really have a safe place to mix up the lye anymore.

7 years ago

That's very interesting, how sweet

And sorry about the mom thing, but soap making seems like a fun project

7 years ago

Instead of reading and writing, I'm pretty into music composition and general coding.

7 years ago

Oh cool, do you plan to go anywhere with coding or music?

7 years ago

If the slowly-growing proto-studio I've got is any indication, yes.

7 years ago
TL;DR: looks like I took this too seriously. give me a break I just woke up xD

• Piano, Trumpet, Guitar, Flute, Violin
  • Programming (interpreter languages)
  • Play with electronics/electrical "engineering"
  • Baseball, anything with a net, and terrible at basketball and american football
  • Looking to re-learn a martial art (stopped at age 8)
  • Juggling, skateboard, card magic, gymnastics/parkour
  • I'm white = can't dance
  • I wish I had the patience to draw - I can, but loathe it.
  • I start new hobbies/projects all the time and collect them (which is a meta-hobby)
I play piano, trumpet, and guitar proficiently. I play flute and violin quite amateurishly and out-of-practice like. Programming (mostly interpreter languages), I've started to learn electrical engineering and I'm probably gonna make a custom machine to run Chanbot some day. I've been practicing calligraphy for a while.

Most sports I played were middle-school. I didn't play any sports in high school and I don't play sports now. I'm not really interested. I might re-learn martial arts (not sure which yet - looks like Kenpo or Kung Fu are my options locally). I go bowling every now and then (I didn't for 6 years cause no alley's where I lived before) - and apparently I'm pretty good at that because I regularly bowl 150 - 200. I didn't think I bowled well until I saw people who go to the alley every week and bowl like absolute shit and can hardly bowl 100 in a game. I've played all sorts of sports. I'm not really good at basketball or american football. I can play soccer, tennis, badminton, table tennis, and volleyball pretty well. I'm best at baseball but I think that's because I like it more than anything else - it's a chill sport that doesn't feel competitive - and when it is competitive, you don't rely too much on the team.

Wierd/hidden talents? Yeah a few. I don't like to admit them in real life - I think the best part is when nobody expects your talent or skill in a certain area / situation; then BOOM everyone is shocked. Love it. I can juggle 5 things and do magic with cards. I can skateboard and do a few simple tricks. I took gymnastics class for 2 years + a summer in high school so I'm decent with that.

I cannot dance (wrong color lol) for shit and find dancing both uncomfortable and really fucking stupid. I might formal dance if absolutely necessary.

I'm practicing drawing. I really am - I need to draw the design for my tattoo. It's in my head really clear but I cannot draw without stopping like it's torture after 5 minutes. I even bought an art set with fancy pencils, graphite sticks, charcoal, and special erasers. I'm amazed I ever enjoyed calligraphy - and still do; but I can't draw without crumpling the paper up and saying "why the fuck did I think this was a good idea? I hate doing art." even though I've been told I'm really good at it when I try/commit to a work. I agree, I am decent at artsy things - I just really can't stand doing them. I have bursts every year or so where I draw something really spectacular because I'm in the zone and go at it for 15 hours straight. I just end up throwing them away because I don't care to keep it xD recently I did this and covered my entire 4ft x 7ft whiteboard with a mural of colors converging to make a phoenix. Looked sick - had to erase it immediately after cause I need my whiteboard for other things. (I guess I should mention it was an overreaction of a snapchat message I ended up just sending to my friend to out-do them...I understand now why all my teachers wrote "effort varies" on my reports)

I'd love to start writing in a storygame instead of playing with code and messing with titles and playing with the entirety of the plot in my head xD

I have achieved no physical rewards for my hobbies/skills/talents because I don't apply myself to anything. I don't really like trophies/rewards anyways cause I'd rather do something on my own initiative and just get a "thanks" or "I'll buy you lunch some time this week." kind of rewards.

7 years ago

#FordMasterRace

7 years ago

Wow, I didn't know you had interests in so many things, that's really awesome. I kind of skimmed through that but it's nice to get to know you better.

7 years ago

I do piano and trumpet. (tis first composition. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dugns4EEosM )

I do art, both traditional (http://ladybeatice.deviantart.com/art/Magic-Lady-564381220) and digital (http://ladybeatice.deviantart.com/art/Taking-a-bow-Lapis-lazuli-614776359)

And Ceramics. Think this one is my best piece. It has a lid too. (http://ladybeatice.deviantart.com/art/Ceramic-non-standard-box-599818742)

I dabble a little in photography. You wouldn't believe how many landscape pictures I have in my camera. *coughcougharound800coughcough*

I sing, better than some people who've taken things like chior, but I've never had lessons or anything.

/I/ think I dance well. Other people? Not so much. Lots of laughing. So, I tend to do it alone, if at all.

I tend to have a knack for anything creative. Or math. Everything else? Nothin'. XD Can't do history, or sports, or anything like that.

7 years ago

What

History is the easiest shit ever.

7 years ago

Oh really? My report card: History = D-, everything else, = A or B

7 years ago

Show off.

7 years ago

All you have to do is remember what happened.

It's like a story.

7 years ago

I have shitty memory.

7 years ago

I don't believe you.

7 years ago

XD Believe what you will then. You can ask kiel though. Been happening for a loooonnnng time. 

7 years ago

Whatever you say, bb.

7 years ago

So you can remember a long time ago... Get your story straight.

7 years ago

I know, righ?

7 years ago

God damn fucking double post.

7 years ago

I totally feel you on that.

Mobile, am I right?

*buh dum tss*

7 years ago

7 years ago

7 years ago

7 years ago

0px

7 years ago

none

How dare you do this trickery when I am on a mobile device.

7 years ago

<p>

7 years ago

I enjoy playing video games, mainly. I like singing and rapping, though I'm not exactly good at either. I do a bit of theatre, as well.

7 years ago

Ah, theater. Have you ever been part of a production? And do you like writing your own raps or rapping someone else's words? And what game genres do you play more?  

7 years ago

I was in my high school play of Oliver!, I write my own raps (though they're not that good), and... hmm. Mostly RPG games with choices, though a play a lot of other things as well.

7 years ago

I do close up, street, and parlor magic. Usually I would perform for tips even though I don't have a license (dnt tail plz!) But now

I don't perform as frequently as I used too because of my writing hobby. 

7 years ago

I am Tim.

7 years ago

... and I'm an alcoholic. 

7 years ago

Not for real, but what else do you call this?

7 years ago

What an amazing talent, Tim.

7 years ago

Bravo! Yours is much longer and complicated than Ford's I see.

7 years ago

I play tennis, a lot, so it is my sport. I enjoy playing various games with my friends, though I don't do this much. Reading goes without saying (Hopefully), and I also draw, though I can't figure out if it's really shitty, or if I'm being overcritical about it.

7 years ago

Usually artists have that difficulty. 

7 years ago

I play flute and golf. I guess you can count martial arts too. 

I am also an artist, so I usually just doodle random stuff. I drew WIBN's cover art for "Solstice".

7 years ago

I've always found the flute beautiful, and do you golf often?

Wait, really?

7 years ago

Often enough, but I'm terrible at a full swing. I prefer chipping with my pitching wedge.

Yes. You should check it out.

7 years ago
  • I game a lot.
  • I can also draw pretty well, but the motivation to draw only comes to me once in a while.
  • I used to do choir in primary until puberty punched me in the gut and I got stuck with a voice one and a half octaves lower, so I'm thinking of taking up lessons to try and improve that since I still think I'm good at singing.
  • Also thinking about dance lessons but if I end up looking like a bird with one wing I'll quit it.
  • I'll probably also try out piano again; did it until grade 5 and then I quit. This'll probably just be very on the side though, I don't have the patience most of the time to learn a new song.
  • I'm also thinking of making a cute cookbook with some of the recipes I can make well, and then asking my parents and grandparents to write down some recipes of theirs before you know ^^
  • I'm also alright at iceskating, but that's too expensive for a regular hobby to start off with so I might inline skate and learn some tricks on the ground before I carry that over to ice.
  • Going to learn Sony Vegas, Unity and Unreal Engine.
  • Want to practice calligraphy with my sister's ink but I don't know where to start.
  • I can swim very well apparently but I don't know if I'll consider it a hobby. Thinking of swimming laps for an hour two days a week for exercise.
    I absolutely abhor land sports since they make me look like a beached whale; the only sports I enjoy are baseball, cricket, etc since they're self-reliant + you get heaps of time on the bench to chill.
  • I do think I'm good at photography, but I'm not that passionate about it.
  • I did martial arts for two years, but I got bored of it :/

7 years ago

That sounds pretty cool.

7 years ago

You know Tim, your hobbies sound much cooler than mine.

7 years ago

Yeah.

But it's a full time job.

7 years ago

Yeah I see, maintaining your identity seems like a heaps difficult hobby to pick up :/

I admire you so much.

7 years ago

... Really?

Tim?

We've never even really spoken before...

7 years ago

Gaming, drawing, making shitty shit in Gamemaker, arguing with people on the internet, badly playing MTG, dicking around with medieval martial arts because the treatises are free.

7 years ago

I like making shitty shit on GameMaker too :D

7 years ago

Make that three of us!

7 years ago

I play the trumpet, and I used to draw a lot (I still draw, but not as much as I used to). Throughout middle school I drew this little comic called 'And Another Thing', inspired by xkcd and Cyanide and Happiness. And back in sixth grade, I drew a comic called 'The Quest' about myself and my best friend Evan going on a quest that parodied the Legend of Zelda. He moved before I finished it, so I didn't draw it anymore until he moved back in eighth grade, at which point I drew the final strip (and I even made a joke in it about how long it took) and an epilog (where I made another joke about him moving and never seeing me again).

Other than that, I'm a decent actor and I'm in drama club. My friends say that I have a great voice for reading or narrating things, and we make jokes about me being a white Morgan Freeman (but I will never be close to his narration skills). I can sing decently, but I'm not in choir. Just this year I decided to join a web design class, so I guess I'll probably add that to my skills if I stay long enough.

EDIT: And thanks to Tim I've started playing Metal Gear Solid a lot. So Tim, if you're reading these, thank you for kickstarting my cardboard box collection.

7 years ago

Yay, another trumpet player to add to the collection of annoying people! ('Twas a joke.)

Sing decently? I'm also decent. Let's start a decent choir.

7 years ago

Just be warned, web design is a fucking joke. They don't teach you html and just have you make a Weebly site.

7 years ago

Yes.

Chris, you're better off just doing Video Game Design.

7 years ago

Well, I did that in my freshman year, and all the school had was Blender and GameMaker Studio Pro. They also have courses for Flash Animation and shit, so that's cool I guess. Might check that out in my second semester or in my junior year.

7 years ago

You didn't take the 2nd course?

7 years ago

Nah, I decided it wasn't for me. I always wanted to design games, but in that course I realized I'm more fit coming up with a story for the game than actually designing the game.

7 years ago

They didn't even teach you coding?

7 years ago

They did. I just didn't really understand it, even though they did their best to explain it. Maybe web design will be different, because it's just a single website as opposed to a video game.

7 years ago

Wow.

You suck.

7 years ago

Thanks, I try.

7 years ago

I got u fam.

7 years ago

I can handle horses, anything, lunging, riding, jumping, training you name it. I love to sing, and play Video games, mainly PS4 the Crew and Battlefield. Love dancing and climbing. 

Addicted to watching anime, and currently learning how to draw anime characters.

7 years ago

I'm a game developer. Besides writing, I also do programming (this is also my job) and art in various styles.

Pixel art: http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/60349.htm http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/60847.htm

Painting: http://orig14.deviantart.net/4744/f/2016/220/a/4/master_of_binding___updated_by_viridianmoon-dad6cb7.jpg (my avatar is from this)

Environment design: http://orig08.deviantart.net/fb17/f/2015/094/6/7/67b5a0bee8886d6227d730fe0840dbae-d8oh0nf.png

Low-poly character modeling: http://i.imgur.com/4n8Twkj.png

High-poly character modeling: http://i.imgur.com/oRzon1I.png http://i.imgur.com/KZ8Irt2.png (never finished this model unfortunately since I had issues getting good-looking hair that runs in realtime...)

2D backgrounds made from 3D scenes: https://i.gyazo.com/cdeabe941ce2d417fc6b399b4d306285.jpg

https://i.gyazo.com/f7b81b8823b0eee26ca9d5632f4ecb6e.jpg

7 years ago

Holy shit man, you have talent.

7 years ago

^What he said.

7 years ago

What they said^

What games have you made/are you working on? I want to go into game design when I graduate, so do you mind if I ask you how you got to where you are? Have you always wanted to be a game developer, of did you get into it from another industry?

7 years ago

Oh, haha, I'm a hobbyist, not a pro. I do backend web dev in my day job. I've helped ship a couple small projects as a programmer, but they're old and not pro quality, so I don't want to show them.

This is the info on my current game, which I hope will be out in six months or so:

http://www.projectbc.net/the-devils-broker/

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

Anyway, I can't say I'd recommend getting into the industry. I seriously considered it, but the hours are terrible and the pay is shit compared to any other field. And especially if you're a designer and not a programmer, you can expect to be chewed up and spit out and replaced by someone else desperate to take your position once you get burned out. It varies a lot by company, and once you have a few years of experience a good portfolio, you can be pickier about working in a place where the conditions aren't awful. Still, I went into regular software engineering instead and feel this was definitely the right decision. Working on a big AAA project isn't that fulfilling anyway because you have basically no creative input on the final product. Get a regular job and moonlight as an indie imo. This is also a hard path to walk (I frequently work an extra 20-30 hours a week on dev on top of my job), but it's much better overall, I think.

7 years ago

If I really can't get into game design I have two backup paths (journalism and pilot, or something to do with planes). But thank you for the advice :) I don't know if hard work will make a difference then but I'll do my best going in, and if that doesn't work, then I'll let it go ^^'

7 years ago

If you live in the US you virtually have to be in the air force to become a commercial pilot, just a warning.

7 years ago

I'm Australian :)

7 years ago

Good luck! The #1 thing you need to get hired in the industry is a good portfolio. Make sure you have a lot of completed small games to show your design skills.

7 years ago
I play the saxophone for fun! :D
Been swimming for 8 years straight. Used to be competitive but got lazy.
I like drama. Pretty good at keeping a straight face or making any face really. Get stage fright for some reason.
I might be getting a drawing pad (the thing you hook up to your laptop). Apparently, I have a potential for landscapes.

Favourite school subjects: Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Georgaphy, Math (a big maybe), Drama, English (another big maybe).

Things I can't do: Socialising with people outside my social sphere (unless it's people online... weird), dance, sing, run for long distances, push ups, getting a soulmate, manage money, organise stuff, remembering important stuff, motivate myself, keep emotions in, stay focused, write a diary, animate 3D, code.

At school I have a food 'shop' set up. Get a bit of cash from that. Also have a money laundering service at the side.

Got into politics recently and I joined a foreign affairs club. Pretty cool.

Blue-belt Taekwando. Gave it up because grades were falling.

Things I like to do: Play video games, read, sleep, eat, swim, have some family time with my younger brothers, have some family time with my parents, have some family time with my grandparents, go on the Internet, read, find the weirdest shit online, watch scary movies, watch weird YouTube videos, clean up my room.

Things I don't like to do: Be bored, go to social events, waking up, be stressed (happens a lot), spend worrying amounts of time on the Internet, spend worrying amounts of time on my homework, be too full, be too hungry, feel sick, vomit (happens a lot), feel sad, feel angry, feel humiliated, feel threatened, feel anything extreme, realise how untidy my room is, feel unsatisfied with what I did even if it's the smallest of things (happens a lot), feel regret (happens a lot).

7 years ago