Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Historical Figures

6 years ago

I know some people are doing historical prompts for the contest, so I'm guessing there's some interest in history around here.  I'm curious what kinds of scores you all might get on this quiz: http://offbeat.topix.com/quiz/18583/qidx1?tr=quiz/retake-quiz/////,1513645162,tn7j834f

I got 85% (but I read a lot of history on Wikipedia, which often comes with images).

Historical Figures

6 years ago
>shows a picture of an old man
>Charles Dickins or J.K. Rowling?

My knowledge has declined from taking this quiz. 100%. They used the most famous images of all the people and were like "Ghengis Kahn or Charles VII??" and even if I didn't know it was Ghengis the picture was of a fucking asian painting of him. Over half of these are American and any American that did decent in middle school history would ace this quiz as well. Remedial. 0/8 wouldn't take again even for a free point.

Chuck Norris vs Bruce Lee
Alexander Graham Bell vs Galileo
Martin Luther vs Some Pope
Clara Barton vs Cleopatra
Marilyn Monroe vs Some other lady
Princess Diana vs The Queen

Who wouldn't be able to tell the difference between some of these people? Seriously.

Historical Figures

6 years ago

I stopped at question 89. How long was that quiz? Anyway, I missed two. The first being that Marx guy who's first name is not Karl, and the second because I clicked the wrong answer when Rasputin came out. Was trying to just get it done. Anyway, as Ford put it most of the answers are obvious due to process of elimination. I didn't know who a few of those people were but the names made it obvious.

Historical Figures

6 years ago
I guessed on two and both were about celebrities of other countries. I think even if I only got the american ones right I still would've gotten a 70%.

Historical Figures

6 years ago

The American ones actually gave me the most trouble. Especially the older ones in paintings. Not George Washington obviously.

Historical Figures

6 years ago

I think it might have been an even 100.

Historical Figures

6 years ago

The accidental racism is the most hilarious part. 

Shows two black dudes 

MALCOM X or SHAKA ZULU? 

Historical Figures

6 years ago

How is that even remotely racist? I remember it showing a picture of Malcom X and asking if it was Malcom X or Muhammad Ali. Is it racist because one is African?

Historical Figures

6 years ago

He said it was racist because Malcom X and Shaka Zulu did not look one bit alike, one was a tribal leader and the other was a civil rights activist.

Historical Figures

6 years ago

Both of them at some point fought white devils and were ultimately killed by another brother.

Seems legit to me.

Historical Figures

6 years ago

90%. A few early American presidents got me, and one Arabic dude, but besides that, easy as.

Historical Figures

6 years ago

The quiz was as long as hell, but I received a 90%. I didn't use Google, I swear. 

Historical Figures

6 years ago

94%, missed all the media celebrities, and lost my sides when they showed me a picture of Tojo and asked if he was Akira Kurosawa.

Historical Figures

6 years ago

Even Marilyn Monroe?

Historical Figures

6 years ago

Long as all hell, quite easy early on but started getting a lot harder after some time.

I missed Teddy Roosevelt, Jackie Robinson, Rosa Parks, Sigmund Freud (probably my most shameful error), Andy Warhol, Mao Zedong, Walt Whitman, James Madison, Ray Charles, Haile Selassie, Billie Holiday, W. E. B. Dubois, Woodrow Wilson and Lou Gehrig.

87% - meh, could be worse

Historical Figures

6 years ago

Stopped at question 53. Who the fuck is Irwin Rommel?

Historical Figures

6 years ago

Famous WWII-era German general. He was in charge of the African campaign. Wehraboos love to circlejerk over him, talking about how apolitcal and totally-not-a-Nazi he was. Even though he was a fucking Nazi. 

Historical Figures

6 years ago

Ah the dude who had to beg big brother Hitler to earn a chance to lead an armoured division, did good and got promoted way beyond his capabilities. Damn site didn't even get his name right, guess he's a Scot now. 

Historical Figures

6 years ago

"Who the fuck is Irwin Rommel? Oh fuck no, I know who he is and lots of details about his life I didn't just Google, the one word change in his name while seeing the picture of his face confused me."

Historical Figures

6 years ago
Rommel wanted to get rid of Hitler. Attempt failed. Was only not executed as a traitor because Rommel was popular and it would have killed morale.

Historical Figures

6 years ago

His role in the July 20th plot is actually disputed. Most modern historians actually oppose the notion that he was some kind of apolitical, anti-Hitler figure. 

Historical Figures

6 years ago

Rommel wasn't a member of the Nazi Party

Historical Figures

6 years ago

No, but the Afrika Korps treatment of North African Jews is pretty well-documented. 

Historical Figures

6 years ago

Just because he hates Jews doesn't automatically make him a Nazi you bigot. 

Historical Figures

6 years ago

No, but being a high level Wehrmacht officer and furthering Nazi goals definitely does. 

Historical Figures

6 years ago

-Insert tongue in cheek remark here-

Historical Figures

6 years ago

mein leben 

Historical Figures

6 years ago
Got 97% and told I had a PHD :) I got mixed up between:
Aretha Franklin and Billie Holliday
W.E.B. DuBois and George Washington Carver
Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder
I feel especially bad about the last one because I have no idea what either of them looked like and only guessed Charles's picture was Wonder because he happened to be wearing dark glasses...

Historical Figures

6 years ago

I had a hard time differentiating Aretha Franklin and Obama 

Historical Figures

6 years ago

Don't feel bad. They didn't know what they looked like either.

Historical Figures

6 years ago

I got an 88%. I mostly messed up with actors (I don't watch old movies). 

Historical Figures

6 years ago

That took forever! I got 100% and I don't know if that's something to be proud of or ashamed of. 

Historical Figures

6 years ago

"Your Score: 60%

History Bachelor's Degree!

You know enough historical figures to have graduated from college. Well done!"

I know shit about history. 
I fail almost every single history class I take. 
I guessed on over half of them. 

I mean like. 
Just random guessing, with two options, you're bound to get 50% right unless you're trying to get them wrong. 
So I feel like 60% is just barely better than blindly guessing, and is a lonnnng ways away from a history bachelor degree.