Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

My points are mysteriously docked :,(

4 years ago

So yesterday I was posting here and I made a forum called Chat Room in the Lounge, but then I received a notification that an admin has docked 100 points off me and said I was S**tposting. What does that mean? And... why are my points docked because I made a topic?! Please answer me! I'm very confused! :,(crying

4 years ago

I don't think this forum section is referring to this kind of problem, but oh well.

Shitposting might not be the best word for it (depending on how you define it), but basically, I believe it is about making low quality/effort posts. I believe it was you who also necroed a 20+ day old thread, or in other words brought back to life an old thread, and I think that would also have counted as shitposting.

What does this mean? It means that you might want to lurk to get a better feel for the site tone and stuff before posting more, because an unfocused thread (such as the now deleted chatroom thread) is not really going to be looked upon well. You also want to be careful with reviving older threads, as while situations exist where it is acceptable they are rare, so it is generally frowned upon, and so I'd avoid doing it for the time being.

As such, I'd stick to only responding to younger threads, and only if you have something relevant to add. If you really want to make threads yourself, just make sure they have some sort of focus or point to them, and keep in mind that most people here share a common interest in writing/reading (to at least some extent) and as such the standard for forum posts may be a little higher than some other places.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about points, they are ultimately meaningless. (Tho I definitely do like them lol).

Finally, the site has a certain atmosphere to it, and it may not be for everyone, however it is important to grasp what it is in order to avoid unpleasant things like getting points docked, hence why I recommended lurking more earlier in this post.

TL;DR
I wouldn't take it personally if I were you, but rather take it as a sign that your behavior has not been of a quality that is expected by the site, and as such in the future do NOT revive old threads and also ensure that threads (and posts) that you make have a clear focus/point, as a general 'chatroom' thread is literally what the point of the Lounge is in the first place, so the thread was pointless.

Also site points are nice but ultimately meaningless, which is why they can be taken away at the discretion of admins, tho to be fair admins can also ban at their discretion, but the point is they don't tend to abuse their powers, so if they do something to you it is a good idea to reflect on your behavior before it leads to worse things (such as a ban).

P.S. Oh, getting banned isn't necessarily the end either, but this post is long enough as is and I imagine it is better to just not get banned in the first place, so the information should be unnecessary.

4 years ago
I didn't see the thread in question but I feel like the fact it was bad/worthless/annoying enough to be deleted and explicitly labeled as shitposting really removes the mystery here.

Also I'm not sure how any of this qualifies as a bug, so looks like we need a thread move.

4 years ago
Also, might as well just say it now: you are really too young to be on this site, or at least this forum, and I don't see this ending well. I'd advise just reading (only some of) the stories and lurking another uh, three years maybe.

4 years ago

If it makes you feel any better I've docked 100 points from Castor for similar reasons so you won't feel singled out and lonely.

4 years ago
That's sweet of you.