Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Aussie Roll Call

4 years ago
Not sure how many Aussie regulars we have anymore, but if you can verify you're alive and give us any updates/pictures on the Mad Max scenario in progress please do.

(Note: if your city, house, yourself or family are on fire, please stop browsing the forum and sort that out first.)

Actually can't bring myself to joke that much because this seems genuinely scary and devastating as shit.

Not really possible to say 'thoughts and prayers' without it sounding like a meme anymore, but I mean it for real.

Aussie Roll Call

4 years ago

For the HUH, WHAT'S GOING ON people.

Honestly really surprised this morning was the first I've heard of it, but I haven't looked at any news the last few days and I guess that's exactly when shit really started hitting the fan. Australia is apparently one of those perpetually on fire places like California and they've been having issues for months before it suddenly got out of hand.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/04/world/australia/fires-military.html

Pretty good write up on the whole thing, and the way they've been having to bring in the Navy for evacuations and pull in reservists. And of course no one's really had time to assess how much damage this is doing to the wildlife, but it's taken out 12 million acres and counting (~20000 square miles or a larger area Switzerland) and I saw something about half a billion dead animals. I'm sure 'oh god oh fuck kill it with fire' is a natural reaction to a lot of Australian wildlife, but it's also the only place on the planet a lot of really cool and iconic species can be found.

F koalas.

Aussie Roll Call

4 years ago
I saw something in the news when they were starting to call for evacuations or something. Haven’t really been following it though.

At least the koalas can’t murder you in your sleep.

Aussie Roll Call

4 years ago
@Zake

I assume the fact you're still logging onto the site means you're not dead.

Aussie Roll Call

4 years ago
Being surrounded by concrete helps, but in the end, there are a lot of burnable things in the suburbs, and even the cities have parks.

At any rate, smelling smoke in the city and seeing more people with the half-mask things was what made it the most real (although some of the pictures are also pretty striking).

Haven't heard a doomsday announcement from a helicopter yet either, so I'm still hopeful, even if the damage is undoubtedly pretty bad. Maybe it'll lead to people taking firefighting more seriously in the future.

Aussie Roll Call

4 years ago
Just don't take any forest management tips from California.

Aussie Roll Call

4 years ago
California's been sending firefighter crews to help, though of course I'm not sure how much it could possibly help unless they've got an army on them.

Aussie Roll Call

4 years ago
I heard something like 200 arsonists have been arrested. So maybe this will at least make people stop setting things on fire on fucking purpose. The "Good morning! You're fucked." pamphlets being dropped were the first I heard of this whole thing, and still pretty unsettling to imagine being in that situation.

Aussie Roll Call

4 years ago
Well if you're not on fire then why are you just staying banned? Lazy.

Aussie Roll Call

4 years ago
You see, if I were to catch fire later, that'd mean I'd just get kicked for inactivity, so best to wait a bit. Yes... totally not lazy.

Aussie Roll Call

4 years ago

@insanebutvain

Let us know if you're alive and providing much needed relief to all the brave fire fighters.

Aussie Roll Call

4 years ago
Random observation: firefighting helicopters look weirdly like insects. I just can't unsee it. A whole swarm of these would be freaky as hell.

Aussie Roll Call

4 years ago

Some people think the references to the locusts in Revelation are describing helicopters. I'm not sure that's the best interpretation, but I can see the resemblance.

Aussie Roll Call

4 years ago
I know the bit you mean, and I guess that's a better theory than anything else I could come up with.

Going along with the theme of 'man in cave seeing visions of crazy future shit he don't know what the heck' iirc there's a lot of stuff in there that can be easily explained by 'it's a TV, dumbass'.

Aussie Roll Call

4 years ago
Forgot @VainCorsair is our other Australian Vain. I hope this disaster has not gotten too much in the way of seizing booty and whatnot.

Aussie Roll Call

4 years ago
It's been peaceful on my side of the bush. Had some rain yesterday and no sign of blood-red skies. Hopefully the good conditions continue to hold out.