Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Contest SHAME 18: SHAMELORDS!

3 years ago

And so ends another contest and a crippled slug crawling across the Nevada salt flats would have gotten farther than some of you lot did.

Most of you failed spectacularly and got yourselves thrown into the pit of SHAME just as expected despite having multiple chances of submitting something.

Some of you even managed to get double SHAMED, and of course it wouldn’t be an Edgelord contest without a couple of bannings. 

Still, there were a few that managed to rise to the challenge or even surpass expectations. You lot will get rewards later and your moms will be grateful.

Anyway, let’s get on with it.

PIT OF SHAME
3iguy 
Acratios 
AllenKudzu 
AmazingSeastar 
AmritaB
AnimalAlien 
Austinc 
Author4 
awesomeness12 
Axxius 
AzBaz 
Bannerlord 
betaband 
bjhovey 
Blazewhisker 
BlueThread 
BryceTheJew 
Cat2002116 
Chanbot (Ford) 
Claw2k11 
clockman
CockusBlockamus 
corvus 
Crescentstar 
curtain64 
DarkSpawn 
Dezzo_lute21 
DiniTheWizard 
Doodled 
DungeonLord 
elad771
Everwriter 
Fluxion
frank2 
Garrison_Bell
ISentinelPenguinI 
Jacoder23 
JCjr 
JeffreyJabs 
jordanvang 
Journeyman 
jster02
KingTrex3 
Kooky_von_Koopa 
Lancelot 
Liqquitty 
lunamoonia1 
LuvLee
Mardox

Megumeme
Metal
NekoCat 
Neverland 
Novelist176 
Oraclemache 
Ozoni 
p1_tjc 
Providence 
pugpup1 
QingBo 
RainGem 
Raki 
Rathalon1213 
RealKurioslasoun 
RedComm 
resistor 
Reywalker786 
roffdoff 
Romulus 
Seto 
ShinobiKun 
ShowMeTheCode 
SixtySnakes 
SkullyZombies 
Slasher 
smalllovebirb
spacewinner 
stargazer 
TheCanary
TheChef

Thotfodder 
Ugilick 
unturned 
VainCorsair
White_Rose 
XNeoBurritoX 

DOUBLE SHAMED 

BenCrucifix 
bilbo
Digit 
Flamenod 
insanebutvain 
Kwism1127 
Lallafa 
MasonJarGuzzi 
mazdark 
MinnieKing 
Mizal
Mr.Mustachio 
Orange 
Plelb 
RoyalGhost_007 
Samyers0616
Wannabe_Human
Yellowbelly 

BANNED AND SHAMED 

castorgreatpoetguy (Ficsean_Chef) 
Comply 
Darkfox432 
Davefaster 
DrDre (multiple times)
Emo_Lord_Holocaust 
LADYHEAT24 
lordkarstark (multiple times) 
Lurkinator 
Negative (multiple times) 
Patandjenfan33333 
ShoujoAddict 
Starbourne
temporaryaccount 
Tot 
Victim

And that’s a wrap, and as usual you lot are terrible.

3 years ago

mizal is in good company with RoyalGhost and Digit lmaoooo

3 years ago
This is the low point of my career on the site, but it was necessary for a narratively satisfying turnaround. I'm going to wallow in regret for awhile, then give myself an inspirational speech and the writing montage music will start to play.

F Starboy though, what he did have of his story was pretty decent. I'd encourage him to play Eye of the Tiger and stick with it on Google docs or something.

3 years ago

I guess if you look at it as the universe balancing itself out.

Like some people must get shamed to balance the universal scales, or something. 

3 years ago
SHAME! SHHHHAAAAAAAAAMMMEEEEE!!!

3 years ago
:)

3 years ago

So the "banned and shamed" people are literally banned permanently? With no chance at redemption? Because of failing to write something for the contest (thrice)?

3 years ago
Starbourne is actually the first semi-legitimate site member this has ever happened to so it's a little unprecedented. It's usually impossible to fail so hard, and anyone who suspects they're capable of such a thing is theoretically capable of just not entering in the first place, or of just prewriting the story or something. (What I intended to do before I foolishly did the opposite.)

3 years ago

The funny thing is besides Ace, all of those banned people got banned during a contest rather than failing one 3 times.

3 years ago
Commended by BerkaZerka on 2/1/2021 1:20:20 PM

3 years ago
Ha! Double Commended lol!

3 years ago

it's twice as good as the average commended post, so it checks out 

3 years ago
All this time and I never realized double commending was a thing. I'd there a limit there? Is it possible to just manually hand out a certain number of comms this way? Might need to do some experimenting now.

3 years ago
Well until NOW I didn't want to reveal her secret, but MHD is qualified for none of these jobs; she just owns a lot of hats.

3 years ago
Commended by hetero_malk on 2/1/2021 4:49:23 PM

3 years ago
I'm now curious as to what will happen if Mizal gets a third shamin'

3 years ago
The rules are quite clear: banned and shamed

3 years ago

She gets put in a peach.

3 years ago
I can delete posts from the contest entry thread at will.

3 years ago
But everyone knows that would NEVER happen

3 years ago
Ford will screenshot it because he's... Ford.

3 years ago
I would have to question that. After all, I'm pretty sure that no admin here has ever modified a post or deleted a post unless it was spam or something like that

3 years ago
That's true, I was just envisioning a completely theoretical scenario. And I mean, who knows if the edit button even REALLY edits? No one has ever tried.

3 years ago

I mean if we're being honest, nothing would actually happen to Mizal if she failed a third time because this isn't a democracy and the Gods are above the laws of petty mortals.

However, we'd all KNOW and worst of all she'd KNOW how spectacularly she had failed. And living with the deep SHAME of being a god, and still not being able to match the lowliest of mortals would be more than enough punishment.

3 years ago

Any idea when the people that were slightly better than the crippled slug shall get to find out whether they're a slightly advanced slug or a turtle?

In other words, when's the actual end of the contest (and the winner announcement)?

3 years ago
When the judge finishes reading everything.

3 years ago
Funny thing, if I'd known about that last extension I might have tried to rush out the main path on Sunday after all. I'd planned to do exactly that on Saturday, but then I ended up helping my uncle dig up a septic tank and after that just decided the story was a lost cause. I made $70 and got to eat pork ribs so I'm not complaining, but it's been increasingly difficult to make writing any kind of priority, I'm working a lot right now to save for a car. Even if I ultimately failed, I'm proud of myself for writing over 8000 words and coming up with an interesting plot in a category I'm not a fan of. I feel like I've leveled up as a writer since I've finally figured out methods for telling stories in a big universe from the 'you' point of view of just one character, which was something that was a brick wall to me before. I really wish I'd discovered this site a couple of years ago when I had more time and not so many adult responsibilities, but I know plenty of people here manage both so it's just something I need to work at until I find my stride. Anyway congrats to hetero_malk and everyone else who finished, and you can ban this account now, I'll be back sometime in the future with a story thats 40,000 words long.

3 years ago
Good luck, hope you do pull off a complete story soonish. Like I said, what I read of your entry was miles better than your original story here so you've definitely improved by a lot.

Too bad you didn't notice the extension, but I hope this all teaches a valuable lesson on randomly entering contests while already double SHAMED, for genres you don't even like. Still can't believe you did that. Just so weird, smh.

I hope those were some damn good ribs.

3 years ago

Honestly, I don't have any particular desire to ban you, and seeing how no one else has, I don't think that desire really exists. You just gotta not piss anyone off until you can get that next game published lol 

3 years ago

Today I learned that I entered a contest.

3 years ago
Next time, try finding out before it's over lol.

3 years ago

I mean we basically told her right after she posted in the contest thread.