Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

IMPORTANT- Click if you know a lot about this site

3 years ago
Hey,
Does anyone know how this site's forum was made? Can I get some help? I'm coding this project, a Choose-Your-Own-Adventure site, and I like how this site was made. I'm nearly done with it, just need the forum done. If you can give me any tips and information about how forums are made, then that would save me a lot of time. I'm asking y'all since the community here is better than most of the other sites.
Thanks for your time, a fellow coder

3 years ago

Sharp as a fuckin' cue ball, this one 

3 years ago
?

3 years ago
Why not just sign up for actual forum software? This site is probably older than you are, I don't think they teach the code things you would need to know in schools anymore.

Also don't literally call it anything to do with CYOA unless you want to get sued, that's an actual company.

3 years ago
Thanks for the advice, especially the sued part. Would you know any forum softwares?

3 years ago
Copy that exact question into the search engine you code.

3 years ago

You need a database to store things, then you need messages and categories for messages, maybe message tags, maybe @ mentions too. You need moderators to be able to edit, delete, etc. posts. Helps if posts can be searched and they need to be shown probably newest to oldest. Then there's whatever integrations the forum has with other parts of the site. It's probably easier to pick up some forum software that already exists and reuse that, honestly. I know this site was made at the turn of the millennium, so it probably didn't have that option.

If you still want to create your own forum, it's up to you to put all this stuff together -- it's more about understanding all the database fundamentals and how to organize the back-end and front-end of a site, than it is just googling "how to make a forum". So if you don't know what you're doing, just go for existing forum software. Probably more maintainable anyway.

3 years ago
Enjoy your night lmao pun intended but actually thanks

3 years ago

I got a forum software, it tends to work pretty well.

3 years ago
Can you throw me the name?

3 years ago

Its pretty exclusive software, but it should get you up and running.

With that said, Im not entirely sure if I should. We usually have a couple preliminary steps we have to take before we qualify someone.

3 years ago
Hey,
The easiest way to make a website is to ensure you have an original idea, that is not currently being done. Make sure not to ask questions on how to code your site on a potentially rival site to the one you’re currently making, you could get some sort of sarcastic response from the members there!
Now, the only thing I know about coding is that your mum was slobbering all over my Python last night.

Jokes aside these links should be helpful, now off with you:
https://code.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-create-a-phpmysql-powered-forum-from-scratch--net-10188
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2CGBZ4Pj7Po

3 years ago

I mean, I could technically show you the inner workings of all this, but it is proprietary CYScript (notice the copyright on the bottom of the page.) It doesn't work like most forums, and you could actually be sued for using the format without paying the up-front fees.

3 years ago

I thought this was going to be an ad.

Instead I'm just confused.