Non-threaded

Forums » Advanced Editor Forum » Read Thread

Get help from the experts on variables, scripts, items, and other scary things.

Adding pictures

2 years ago
Does anyone know how to add a picture (for example of an enemy) into the game, I can do it when adding items just don't know how when it comes to an image on a page.

Adding pictures

2 years ago
Shameless plug: My article

Adding pictures

2 years ago
thank you.. It can't be a saved image? do I put this in the link script for the page its going to appear on? as when I do it doesnt like the '<' so I might not be doing it right

Adding pictures

2 years ago
You don't need a script, it's just HTML, that's used all over the internet and not related to the site editor. Put it directly in the box where the text goes.

Adding pictures

2 years ago
so it cant be an iamge that been saved to the computer?

Adding pictures

2 years ago
....do you know what a URL is?

Adding pictures

2 years ago
yes

Adding pictures

2 years ago
Can there be a URL of a thing that's only saved to your computer?

How are other people's browsers going to access that?

Adding pictures

2 years ago
I wasnt sure if it can uploaded like other images for items or something but when you put it like that it makes sense

Adding pictures

2 years ago

This article may help you add downloaded images to your storygame.

Adding pictures

2 years ago
You can't upload bigger images to the site though.

Adding pictures

2 years ago

That's true, I usually have to find ways to compress or resize images when uploading them to the site.

Adding pictures

2 years ago
Imgur is the easiest solution for free image hosting, but you have to shield yourself from all the reposting of someone's sick political Twitter burn and the bitching and crying about minimum wage which seems to be the only thing half the users are there for anymore.

Adding pictures

2 years ago

For some reason, even though I've used Imgur before, it has never occurred to me to add images to my storygames through that platform. Thanks for the idea, Mizal! I wandered into this thread to help a new user and I am instead leaving with a new method of adding images to my storygames.

Also, I will take your advice and shield myself from the political things.

Adding pictures

2 years ago

I prefer catbox.moe. Has a much more simplistic interface, and you don't have to look at anyone else's political bullshit. Also, unlike other image hosts that come and go due to lack of funding, catbox.moe has been around for several years now.

Adding pictures

2 years ago
Never has a URL to a supposedly innocent site given off such cancerous vibes, but I'll have to trust your word I suppose.

Adding pictures

2 years ago

For a moment with that URL, I thought HC was a bot.

Adding pictures

2 years ago

I suppose it's part of the boomer mentality to distrust any nonstandard web domain, not that I would ever accuse our almighty admins of being boomers.

Adding pictures

2 years ago

So you want me, Mystic Warrior, to use a platform called catbox?

Jokes aside, thank you for the suggestion! It seems to work well for me.

Adding pictures

2 years ago

It's all part of the long con to eventually bring warrior cats back to this website.

Adding pictures

2 years ago

Adding pictures

2 years ago

Aha, he fell for my bait! 

Adding pictures

2 years ago

You had me worried for a second there since I browse the forums as a guest.

Adding pictures

2 years ago
Thanks for that.

Open up your storygame. To upload the picture, click on the button and a pop-up window will show up (make sure you have any pop-up blockers temporarily turned off). You will be able to choose from any of your uploaded pictures to put in your storygame

This is the section I don't understand.. It says 'click on the button'.. which button am I clicking?

I have the picture uploaded onto the site, I just need to get it from there onto the page I want the picture to appear on.

Adding pictures

2 years ago
1) Upload picture to imgur, or to the site HelpCon gave.
2.) Use html to display the image anywhere in the game you like.
3) Since I know you're now staring blankly in confusion, you can find out how to post an image using html from the article you were given at the top of this thread, or from looking it up with Google..
4) You're probably still staring blankly in confusion, but it's beyond my ability to assist further.

Adding pictures

2 years ago
never has the default profile picture been so fitting.

Adding pictures

2 years ago

I strongly advise you to use the methods that the other members talked about since it allows you to avoid limiting the size of your images. However, if you've already gone through the hassle of uploading the picture to CYS and you are still blankly staring at the screen in confusion, you can click the button which looks like a polaroid with green and blue lines. 

You will be able to add images to your storygame in the same way you add pictures to your items!

Adding pictures

2 years ago
To do this he'll need to turn on the RTE, and we'll need another 25 post thread explaining how to check the box.

Adding pictures

2 years ago

True, it seems like I'm simply complicating things for him. If you're reading this, The7thContinent, ignore the article I linked. Follow Mizal's instructions instead (but try to avoid the 4th step).

Adding pictures

2 years ago
The RTE is supposed to make things easy, but it has some glitches including a bad habit of eating images that in practice just makes it more annoying than it's worth, that's the reason it stopped being turned on by default. Well that and the fact most veterans aren't using it in the first place because of how badly it clashes with dark mode, among other reasons, and so most advice to noobs with questions just boiled down to "First, turn off the RTE."

Adding pictures

2 years ago

That makes sense. I keep reminding myself to turn off the RTE for my next storygame but always end up forgetting, and if I turn it off halfway through, I get confused by everything on the page due to my extremely limited scripting knowledge. 

Adding pictures

2 years ago
Yeah that's another issue with it, new pages will be clean but existing ones become full of gibberish because that's how it has to display the fancy characters like curly quotation marks and apostrophes that the RTE puts in, once you've switched it to plain text.

Adding pictures

2 years ago

I've recently experimented with centering text using html but everytime the page is refreshed, it just messes up the formatting. Ah well, I'll probably turn RTE off soon.

Adding pictures

2 years ago
Send me the link to whatever game you're testing it in and I'll take a look later. (Although I'll be pretty busy over next few days so I may forget.)

I don't think you can use html in addition to the RTE too, if you're trying to combine them that may be causing the problem.

For something like centering I'd probably just use the old [center]text[/center] (replacing the brackets with the less than/greater than marks) instead of the style stuff, same with bold and italics and all. Although I understand that may trigger certain people here.

Adding pictures

2 years ago

Thank you for the offer, Mizal! It seems to work as long as I don't refresh the page, so it should be alright.