Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Point-and-Click Adventure Games

2 months ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F9EMbkvLBQ

I wanted to show this to someone, but I don't think my friends have ever heard of King's Quest, so I figured ya'll would get a kick out of it (and maybe try to spark some activity in the forums while I'm at it).

What are some of your favorite point-and-click adventure games? Did you have to look up the answers for some of the puzzles? Should I try playing the new remastered version of Clock Tower despite my tendency to freeze up whenever I see something chasing me in a video game?

2 months ago

The Grim Fandango, and yes because I got lazy lol

Myst III, and only for the valve puzzle with how to use the lever

2 months ago

I never got into the King's Quest game or any of Sierra's "Quest" games (Space, Police, etc) about the only two series I did get into from that company were the Leisure Suit Larry games and the Manhunter games (Unfortunately that series never got completed)

I had some other Sierra games but those were more one off adventure games than series.

Now LucasArt adventure games I played a lot more of. Starting with Labyrinth. Usually Maniac Mansion gets credit for being the first one they did, but it was just the first one that used their SCUMM engine. (Lab was a weird hybrid adventure game that started out pure text and then turned into a graphic adventure with verb/noun wheels.)

As much as I like the Monkey Island series, I still think Maniac Mansion had the most replay value since it had multiple endings and different puzzles you had to solve depending on what teens you picked. I suppose to a small degree they did try to encourage  replay value with their Indy games (Especially with Fate of Atlantis) but I still think MM did it better without changing up the gameplay entirely. (The Indy games had a whole "arcade fighting path" which wasn't really great)

Thimbleweed Park was a pretty recent point and click adventure that was enjoyable and felt like the old LucasArts games.

Never played Clocktower but always heard it was cool, I'll probably get it at some point.

2 months ago

Another good older point and click adventure that wasn't by Sierra or Lucasarts was one called Sanitarium.

There was also Harvester, though that one is more memorable for the over the top shock value it had in it.

2 months ago

Harvester looks goofy. I like how they have video and pictures instead of pixel art. It looks like something that would be fun to play and stream with my friends.

I've heard of Sanitarium before, but it looks a little scarier than Clock Tower so I might try it if I can make it through that first.

2 months ago

Yeah Harvester came out during that terrible era where a lot of video game companies were experimenting with full motion video in their games believing it was THE FUTURE of gaming when it typically always sucked a lot. However I think in Harvester’s case it actually works since the entire thing is so damn over the top, the FMV fits the bad b-movie vibe it has.

Harvester is definitely goofy and tried to shove in every taboo along with the over the top gore. Incest references, gay stereotypes, cannibalism, killing children, fucked up dialogue, sexual deviancy, etc.

(Yeah it’s basically if I made a video game)

2 months ago

I just wanted to shout out a little hidden gem that I played many years ago titled Out of Order.

It's a freeware game, but complete in every way. You might still be able to play it if you know your way around computers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Out_of_Order_(video_game)

https://www.myabandonware.com/game/out-of-order-dxa

Edit: Sam and Max was fun, too.

2 months ago

> You might still be able to play it if you know your way around computers.

You click the download button, get an exe, and it install it for you (with a very funny installer). It doesn't get much easier than that.

2 months ago

Maniac Mansion was a favorite of mine, but I also played most of the King's Quest games.  I also like Myst and Riven, and there was a Star Wars themed point-and-click that I can't remember the name of that I really liked as well.

2 months ago

Well since I mentioned Sanitarium and Harvester, I'll go ahead and mention these games from this series in keeping with the horror themed ones. Wasn't sure if they qualified at first, but apparently they're still classified as point and click adventure even if they aren't in the traditional sense of what Sierra and Lucasarts was doing.

The Horrorsoft Series

Okay there's 4 of these games. Two of which were directly connected to the Elvira Mistress of the Dark brand, and one that just sort of got a picture of her slapped on the box in later editions of it (when they acquired the rights presumably) and the last game which didn't have the brand anymore.

In all games there's certainly a lot of pointing and clicking and adventure of trying to solve some puzzles and such, but the later ones have more of a fighting or sometimes even RPG element in them.

The first one Personal Nightmare is probably the more complex one since it still contains a parser in addition to pointing and clicking with a mouse. (Like old Sierra games) In fact you'll probably have to use the parser sometimes since not everything is necessarily readily clickable until you're delving a little deeper into examining shit via the parser. Basic premise is your dad, the small town preacher died and you're there to figure out things. Doesn't really explain much in the game itself what you're supposed to be doing, but the goal is to stop the evil that has infiltrated the town.

It's probably the creepiest of the bunch probably because there's no fighting element in it, no music and it's a small English town that just feels "off". It doesn't have the same graphics as the other three games and is more puzzle based. There's a few times where you have to figure out how to get past a monster, but again it's always puzzle/item based, fuck it up and you'll instantly die. You get close up shots of your death too, so that's cool. Bad thing is there's a time limit and time is always marching on (Day and Night cycle) and sometimes you have to figure out where to be and when to get stuff at the right time.

The second game is Elvira Mistress of the Dark and it basically takes place in a castle she's inherited and she needs you to get rid of the curse on it along with killing a lot of the bad things infesting the place. This is the one that introduces a not so great fighting element to it, though it's also got a crafting element that lets you create spells, both necessary to overcome certain puzzle and to make fighting easier at times. This one is also the one that packed in a lot of gory death scenes, so even if you get killed, you get something cool to look at.

Third game is Elvira 2: Jaws of Cerberus. Basically you're helping Elvira in a haunted horror studio this time around. You have to track her down first (On one of the three horror sets and it's ALWAYS the last one) This one ramped up the fighting and RPG elements, but I don't think that was a good direction since the fighting in these games isn't the best. Even that wouldn't be so bad if they hadn't included FUCKING MAZES in two of the horror sets.

When you finally rescue her, you still have to escape the studio which you can't because Cerberus is guarding the exit gate, so you'll need all the right spells and equipment to defeat him too. Despite being annoyed with bad fighting and mazes, I still played it a lot since the ramped up the bloody deaths.

Finally the last game was Waxworks (Which a lot of people just call the unofficial 3rd Elvira game due to looking like the others) This one pulled back a bit on the RPG element, though it's still there with the stats. This one has sort of convoluted plot of being a good twin and having to go back in time to stop all the evil twins that have caused trouble at various points to break the family curse. These include Ancient Egypt, Medieval Transylvania, Victorian London and some industrial period mine (Probably America).

You go back in time using a waxworks display, accomplish your goal and you get transported back to the present day waxwork museum to go to another display. So it's basically 4 separate areas that you can do in any order since none require objects for the others. Two of the displays have the more unfortunate combat elements, these are Transylvania where you're mostly fighting zombies and the industrial mine where you're fighting plant people. There's still puzzle elements, but it's mainly all set up to kill the evil twin in those time periods.

London has less fighting, but a whole lot more running since the evil twin in this case is Jack the Ripper (So there's cops and lynch mobs wandering about thinking you're the killer and they'll hang or beat you to death instantly) Ancient Egypt as you might expect has the most puzzles seeing as its all about getting past traps and such. Waxworks probably has the most cool deaths out of all four games. There's so much variety in how you can die that they probably realized that you'd be seeing those death screens often anyway.

Well there's 4 more for you to look into if you so desire. I'll probably remember more and post those at some point.

2 months ago

Bit late to the party but thought I'd jump in as the really old point and click adventure games are some of my favourite games of all time. Favourites include:

The Monkey Island Games

Grim Fandango

The Longest Journey

Discworld Noir

The Broken Sword Games

Blade Runner

Not sure if the Tell Tale games count as point and click adventures, but if they do, then Tell Tale's The Walking Dead is definitely one of my faves.

2 months ago

Here’s a few more.

Going more into the “graphic text adventure” category with the first two, but there’s still a lot of pointing and clicking of items and verbs listed somewhere on the screen. (And they’re still classified as point and click in some places)

Uninvited

Another horror one set in a haunted house. Starts off like a lot of horror settings, break down in front of a huge old house and go inside to get help.

Or rather in this case, your car crashes into a tree and your little brother that was with you is missing, so you have to search for him. You don’t really have much choice since if you stay in the car, it blows up and as soon as you get out of the car, the EVIL PRESENCE immediately starts attacking your psyche. This is a “timer” since you’ll be attacked by it more than once throughout the game and I think by the third time around it just kills you so you need to find your brother quickly. (The Jap version changes this to saving your sister for some reason)

Wouldn’t be a haunted house without monsters and ghosts so you’ll definitely run into those along with normal puzzles. The Southern Belle ghost is my favorite death scene.

Tass Times in Tone Town

This one is a product of its time (The 80s), not just in terms of gameplay, but the whole feel of it. The basic premise is your grandfather made a portal to a different dimension and went missing. It’s up to you to go find find him.

The different dimension though is “Tonetown” which is basically a society where everyone dresses like a New Wave 80s punk rocker. Clothing, hair, etc. The place also has odd stuff ranging from minor things like glowing burgers and guitar pick currency to more major weirdness like giant living noses and eyes with arms and legs which apparently just exist. Your dog also transforms into a talking one that’s considered a celebrity in this dimension.

Nobody finds any of this strange. Weirdness is just a fact of life here. In fact when you first arrive in this dimension there’s a minor puzzle you need to resolve quickly which is not looking like a fucking untass normie. (The word “tass” basically means “cool” in this dimension) You need to dress and look like the locals as soon as possible. Walk around looking like Jonboi Waltune (An infamous untass person who passed through the place once) and you’ll get a few warnings about someone calling you a “stupid tourist”. Ignore it long enough and the game’s villain Franklin Snarl will show up and kill you since he knows you’re not a local.

Franklin is basically a crocodile man that nobody likes but he’s like the evil rich tycoon that owns a lot of property so folks just have to put up with him being an asshole. (And he runs the pet shop) He’s also the one behind your grandfather’s disappearance, so a final showdown with him is inevitable.

It’s definitely one of the weirder point and click games.

Loom

While I’ve mentioned LucasArts games in another post, I still say it was a shame that Loom never got the proper trilogy that was planned for it. This one is definitely very story focused as opposed to game focused because its very easy to win.

Loom’s sort of an odd point and click since all the puzzles are actually sound based. You’re the member of the Guild of Weavers and all your spells are cast through a series of notes to solve various puzzles. Though you can see the notes at the bottom of the screen, unless you play the “expert” level which makes you play completely by ear. (Still easy though and you get a special cut scene if you play it on this level)

Like I said it’s not a hard game at all, but it’s worth playing through for the story.

2 months ago

You should get a badge that says "Ask me about Loom" ^_^

one month ago
I've always thought just the name of these was silly. "Point and click". You do that in any game with a mouse.

one month ago
I recently played a really neat game on Steam called The Excavation of Hob's Barrow. It got me to buy and play some of the devs' other stuff, but Hob's Barrow is definitely the best of them so far. Super cool atmosphere, interesting characters, and reasonable puzzle solving and I didn't have to google anything I SWEAR

The ending felt sort of unrewarding, but I dunno, it's a Lovecraftian, so I probably should have seen it coming. I was thoroughly impressed with just about everything else though, particularly the voice acting.