Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

This place seems cool!!

2 months ago
Hey everyone, I'm Clayfinger and I am new to this site. I am not a huge fan of reading to be honest. I do like playing video games though. This place seems to be a neat blend of both so I'm hoping it will help me get more accustomed to being able to read without spazzing out and foaming at the mouth.

To contribute to the site, it seems like I could rate/review stuff or make story games of my own. Regarding the former, I'm kind of worried though. Mainly because I don't read that much so I don't really know if I can provide any constructive criticism. I can tell when a story isn't doing it for me, but I have trouble figuring out why that is.

In any case, I will probably be lurking around for a bit. Maybe I will even drop a story game of my own. I already have a few ideas. Just have to get around to actually committing them to paper which I've heard is the hard part.

Regardless, it's a pleasure to be here. I hope to have a very good time on this site and make lots of friends :]

This place seems cool!!

2 months ago

Welcome to the site! We're glad to have you. As for your review concerns, don't concern yourself on them too much. We like people who only read and rate too, and new storygames are always welcome. Though if you are willing to go the extra mile and write a review, it's always appreciated. It doesn't always have to be long or detailed, even a one-sentence comment about what you liked or disliked is valued! 

On the topic of more game than story storygames (there is still reading), you may want to check out

Tower of Riddles

The Wal*Mart Game

The Secret of Daphne

This place seems cool!!

2 months ago
Nice to meet you, Suranna. I'll be sure to give these storygames a whirl. Also, nice inscryption pfp :]

This place seems cool!!

2 months ago

I also recommend:

Dungeon Stompage

This place seems cool!!

2 months ago
Added to my reading list :D

This place seems cool!!

2 months ago

Welcome to the site! For somebody who doesn't like reading you appear to have a rare talent of forming a coherent sentence with 0 spelling mistakes and all the right letters capitalized, which automatically makes you more qualified to provide constructive criticism than 90% of the noobs that stumble across the site, so no worries there. ^_^

This place seems cool!!

2 months ago
Hehe, thanks for the compliment. I was lurking on the forums and saw several others being flamed for punctuation/grammar mistakes so I'm being extra careful XD

Thanks for the warm welcome :]

This place seems cool!!

2 months ago

Welcome to the site! Enjoy your stay here.

Like the others have said, there's plenty of more game-story games. 

A good one is Ruins of Anzar by Gryphon - a puzzle game.

This place seems cool!!

2 months ago
Thanks for the welcome and for the recommendation DireRyse, I will be sure to give it a looksie :]

This place seems cool!!

2 months ago

Nice to meet you. Please enjoy your stay. So long as you're earnest in contributing to the site through either reviews and comments or publishing storygames, people will notice and appreciate the effort. Have a good one!

This place seems cool!!

2 months ago
Nice to meet you as well, Milton. :]

This place seems cool!!

2 months ago

Welcome to the site.  Hope you enjoy your time here.

You might also enjoy Secrets of the Crag which is similar to an old school dungeon crawl.

This place seems cool!!

2 months ago
Ooh, I love me a good dungeon crawl. I will read it for sure. Thanks for the welcome and the recommendation :]

This place seems cool!!

2 months ago
I mean not every review needs to be a full length essay, most authors would appreciate just a short comment about what you thought of the game, these take a lot of work to make and that's the only indicator they get that somebody out there is reading.

There aren't a ton of storygames here with emphasis on the "game" part, although the editor does have a lot of options for adding inventory puzzles and RPG combat and the like, it's just never been the focus of many authors here.

Check out anything by BerkaZerka, or dig around the Puzzles/Games section. (Delve!, Cows vs Aliens!, and Koi Koi! in particular all take the standard text editor and break it over their knee.)

The Price of Freedom in the Historical section is a fantastic story that also includes stats and the like for progression. You might also browse the fanfic section for anything that seems written by a brony.

This place seems cool!!

2 months ago
Understood, I will try to leave a review on everything I read. Thank you for the recommendations as well :]

This place seems cool!!

2 months ago

Nice to meet you Clay! For someone who hates reading youve already seemingly rated quite a few storygames (which is good to see).

This place seems cool!!

2 months ago
Nice to meet you too mrcrimsonclean! I was hitting random on the story games page before but now I'm focussed on working through the recommendations I've received in this thread. I'm pleased to report that it has been pretty enjoyable so far :]

This place seems cool!!

2 months ago
As far as recommendations go, I can't fucking believe no one has said Dead Man Walking yet. If you like zombies at all you should give it a look. It'll keep you occupied awhile.

This place seems cool!!

2 months ago
I'll give it a try. No promises though because I'm generally not a huge fan of the zombie apocalypse genre. It's just hard to hope for a happy ending in that sort of setting

This place seems cool!!

2 months ago
Ah yes, I see your introduction to the site was the 2014 edutainment classic "Surviving the EBD Classroom", rated 4/8. The RNG sure knows how to pick 'em.

This place seems cool!!

2 months ago
I read the title and thought it was about literally surviving in a classroom where everyone was trying to kill you XD

Turned out to be just a sweet little story. I just wish there was more of it

This place seems cool!!

2 months ago
Oh, if you like sweet wholesome things make sure you keep an eye on the Maturity ratings and maybe avoid the Grimdark section lol. There are some sweet wholesome things around and we could always use more imo, but edginess has been pretty popular over the years.

This place seems cool!!

2 months ago

Groundzero is probably my overall personal favourite on the site. Although its rather long, so if you do decide to go for it keep that in mind, but most of the best stories here tend to be long.

This place seems cool!!

2 months ago
I will add it to my list :]

This place seems cool!!

2 months ago
Yep, this place is cool. You can see great storygames here like the masterpiece Eternal, which will take forever to read but is still a somewhat worthwhile journey if you do read. I recommend this site.

This place seems cool!!

2 months ago
I've heard plenty of good things about Eternal. I will definitely get around to reading it one of these days.

This place seems cool!!

2 months ago

Welcome to the site, and I hope you enjoy your time here! As Mizal said, any comment is better than nothing, even if you just say what you liked or disliked. Doesn't have to be super detailed, but active authors really appreciate them! I highly recommend you check out games by Mystic_Warrior when you have the time. They're chunky, but they have a lot of satisfying game-like elements and are just a good all around read. Link to one

This place seems cool!!

2 months ago
Thanks for the welcome, Wizzy. I will check it out when I can :]