Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

A Late Greeting

2 years ago
Hi everyone!
I'm a new member that's been surfing around this site for a week now. I wanted to get an idea and feel about this online community before introducing myself. Hopefully that didn't bother anyone. I found this to be a very interesting place to be in, and the storygames are super enjoyable. I haven't read many, but the couple I read got me excited enough to start writing my own. I hope to get along, learn, and have fun with everyone!!!

Questions:
What should NOT be in a family friendly storygame?
Will there be another contest soon after "Cyberpunk"?

A Late Greeting

2 years ago
And you can call me "Rea" for short.

A Late Greeting

2 years ago
Welcome!

Regarding the first question, just imagine reading the story to your nephew while his parents are there. Will you regret doing it? Maybe the story isn't family friendly, heh.

I think the general gist of it is that you should avoid anything sex related, and violence can't be gruesome. However, I'm sure family friendly shows have used innuendos before, and violence in children cartoons isn't unheard of either. Just think about your audience.

If you write it and are still unsure, you can put the storygame on sneak preview and ask for feedback in the Writing Workshop. Someone should be able to tell you if it isn't Family Friendly.

Regarding the second question, contests are pretty frequent, but there has been an attempt at not flooding the site with them (so there might be a small break). Sometimes other writing activities pop up instead too, like a writing jam, so keep an eye out for that too.

A Late Greeting

2 years ago
Alright! I think I'm getting a good idea about what a family friendly story shouldn't have.
I'll give the Writing Workshop a shot when I'm done.

Thanks Zake!

A Late Greeting

2 years ago
Welcome to CYS! You seem wholesome and enthusiastic and are able to form sentences in English, I don't foresee you having any trouble here.

I think Zake pretty much covered your questions, we do try to space out the contests a little, people get burned out on them etc and some members find them a distraction from their own projects. But smaller unofficial events can occur and will be posted in the Creative Corner if so.

As for Family Friendly...that's a good question actually, that could probably be a whole topic on its own.

Creatures of the Snow and The Butter Bear were obviously written for very different audiences for instance.

A lot of it boils down to how the material is presented, but it's my opinion that avid readers by age ten or so can handle more mature or complex themes just fine. But obviously there are those who feel differently, and then a whole nother layer of liability and ass covering that must be considered, if for instance someone was a teacher trying to select material for other people's kids, or similar.

We try to stay away from hard rules and stick to guidelines and common sense whenever possible though.

A Late Greeting

2 years ago

Sounds good! I'll keep an eye on Creative Corner. I guess it makes sense that some people feel differently about younger kids handling complex themes, very true.

Thanks mizal!

A Late Greeting

2 years ago
Welcome to the site! Feel free to ask for recommendations on what to read when you run out of things in obvious reach.

A Late Greeting

2 years ago
Thanks Nightwatch! I will.

A Late Greeting

2 years ago

Welcome to the site! I can see that other's have answered your questions, but I would like to add that there's usually two big and official contests per year, one in summer and one in winter. Hope you enjoy your time here!

A Late Greeting

2 years ago
Interesting, I never knew there was one in summer and one in winter. That's good know.
Thanks WizzyCat!

A Late Greeting

2 years ago
Welcome to the site, I do hope you enjoy your time here!

A Late Greeting

2 years ago
Thanks Ogre!

A Late Greeting

2 years ago
Well looks like you're in luck as far as contests!

A Late Greeting

2 years ago
Oh! Is there one coming up already?

A Late Greeting

2 years ago
I see! Found "End Master's Manifest Destiny Contest".