Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

“Fish on!”

one month ago
The ocean is unimaginably vast. While life is abundant in the salty waters of this blue planet, it is not equally abundant throughout its 352 quintillion gallons. There are reefs, of course, where life explodes into riotous, shining multitudes, from butterflyfish to blacktip reef sharks. Humanity likes to focus on these waters— warm, tourist-accessible, and fantastically entertaining. Yes, the famous coral reefs— the ones that make up less than 1% of the ocean.
I am not for the reefs.
Ignore, for a moment, that I have chosen the username “baskingshark.” For the purpose of this metaphor I am no longer a lazy, ever-gasping basking shark, cruising through Grecian waters. I am a pelagic thresher shark.
“Pelagic” is a word that refers to the open ocean— the vast, yawning fathoms of blue water, stretching endlessly into darkness below. The pelagic thresher shark may visit coastal regions for its own purposes, but it is built for lonely waters— waters that so many never even think about, except to pass over in a jet plane.
Commercial social media, for the purposes of this metaphor, is represented by coral reefs. Flashy, shallow, and widely beloved. The rest of the internet is the open ocean. This includes the tiny fish of Choose Your Story dot com.
I have spied this tiny fish, and I have chased it and taken it into my jaws. In other words, I signed up. Unfortunately, I am but a dumb old pelagic thresher shark, and cannot reliably tell your average mackerel from a lure designed to trick me. It seems as though this fish is exactly what I need, but it could be Bass Pro Shop’s finest shiny fish-shaped hook.
Hi. I’m baskingshark, or M. I love interactive fiction, and I’ve been looking for a website where I can make and read IFs for free, preferably in a constructive community of active readers. I’ve had a look around, after gleefully signing up the second I found this place. I’m not sure I’ll love it here, as I don’t think I’ve ever been anywhere quite like it. My wildest dream is, of course, that I love it, and you all love me, and I become one of the greatest writers ever to grace this website, and you all join my fanclub and shower me with 8/8 reviews. My moderate hope is that I like it, and you all can enjoy what I write.
I can assure you that, like the placid basking shark, I don’t get into arguments on the internet, and I only rarely throw tantrums. I hope we can become great colleagues in the business of the interactive fiction-writing hobby with time.

“Fish on!”

one month ago

Welcome to the site! Hope you enjoy your time here.

If you're looking to jump into storygame writing or posting a short story, I recommend checking out some cool articles here.

Based off your long first post, I'll look forward seeing some of your work!

“Fish on!”

one month ago

I have read a number of articles already and I look forward to reading more. You have nice resources on this website.

“Fish on!”

one month ago

Nice to meet you, baskingshark!! 

“Fish on!”

one month ago

The pleasure is mine.

“Fish on!”

one month ago

These bots are becoming more advanced.

“Fish on!”

one month ago

Are you saying I'm artificially intelligent? That's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to me.

“Fish on!”

one month ago
This was one of the more unique newbie threads I've seen. You can't, however, be M. This is not allowed. Put such thoughts from your head.

“Fish on!”

one month ago
It's okay, we can make this work. You can be 'm' and he'll keep 'M'.

“Fish on!”

one month ago

I took the capital letter in the divorce.

“Fish on!”

one month ago
spicy

“Fish on!”

one month ago

That will be easy. I have no great number of thoughts in my head in the first place. What were we talking about? N, or something? Perhaps Q? 

“Fish on!”

one month ago
https://chooseyourstory.com/forums/creative-corner/message/30078 You should read these two short stories and vote in this thread. In exchange for citizenship.

“Fish on!”

one month ago

Unfortunately, much like a prospective juror, I must beg to be excused from this custom of the land on the basis of my clear bias, in this case, against fantasy stories. I understand this makes me an eccentric minority on this website. I only hope you have abolished the practice of pillorying. 

“Fish on!”

one month ago
tldr

“Fish on!”

one month ago

Oh you should really read it. It's very intelligent (TharaApples said so,) and it makes me seem both mysterious and cool.

“Fish on!”

one month ago

I didn't say that.

“Fish on!”

one month ago
she does say that sort of thing often

“Fish on!”

one month ago

I like this thread. 

Welcome to the site!

“Fish on!”

one month ago

Thank you for the welcome. I'll try not to wear it out.

“Fish on!”

one month ago

Weird. Noob thread getting all the comments and it isnt because he is being dunked on.

So, welcome to the site.  Hope you enjoy your time here.

“Fish on!”

one month ago

I also hope to enjoy my time here. So far, our goals are aligned. A fragile alliance has thus been formed.

“Fish on!”

one month ago
I still don't know what kind of shark you are. :(

“Fish on!”

one month ago

A basking shark for every day, and a goblin shark for special occasions.

“Fish on!”

one month ago
Mfker how are you typing underwater with no hands? Something's not right here, there's something a little fishy about your story.

“Fish on!”

one month ago
Hmmmmm, I do like goblins.

“Fish on!”

one month ago
This is fishy

“Fish on!”

one month ago

“Fish on!”

one month ago
Doesn't like fantasy, but first post is a fantasy about being a shark...

“Fish on!”

one month ago

“Fish on!”

one month ago
"Apply directly to the forefish!"