Non-threaded

Forums » News & Updates » Read Thread

Keep up with the latest contests and find out what's been changing with the site.

Culture Clash Contest Results

2 years ago
Commended by TharaApples on 12/31/2022 5:02:33 PM

This contest is a bit unusual in that most of the stuff the winners would get rewarded for (Featuring for example) will be on hold a bit since most of these stories are unfinished (Most of the authors already admit this in their stories!) and will be taken down to be reworked on. (And gather a lot more ratings)

That being said, I'll just be a lot more generous with the pointless points and when your stories are ready, some other rewards can be revisited.

Anyway might as well get to the winner right now. There's only five of you that survived, so one winner from that five is more than enough. Remember second place is just the first loser! (Still, all of you are better than the SHAMED)

Gryphon won.

Though it was close since Axxius story was directly on target for the contest due to the historical setting. Arguably had his been a little longer (and still maintained the same quality of what he did write) he would have won. Both had quite a bit of branching and were entertaining enough for me to go through most of the different endings.

Axxius story probably got more laughs from me than he intended. Something about getting hanged by Washington, leaving your friend to die only to get eaten by a bear and just outright betraying the American Revolution was hilarious. (Congrats, you died!) Supporting the revolution path was fine too though.

Ab and Stargirl's was mixed. Honestly their orphan path was a lot better than their soldier path which was a mess. (Evil team lol) Almost feel like they could axe that entire path and just focus on expanding the orphan path since there was a lot more care gone into that one. They probably strayed from the topic a bit, but their orphan path was good enough that it kept me playing a few different endings. (Which I didn't bother as much with the soldier path)

Cupcake's story stuck with the Culture Clash thing in a unique way though unfortunately I'm just not into super heroes too much. There wasn't as much branching either. I can see other people might liking this one better than I do though.

Finally Zwei's story was definitely on target and he even picked something not excessively written about too much in historical fiction. (Even with stuff set in Constantinople it's usually about them fighting the Ottomans/Muslims)

The main problem is it was severely unfinished. (Along with looping links when getting to the end of some paths) The only reason why this one got a minimal passing rating (As opposed to a damning 1 or 2) is because what was written has a lot of potential and kept me interested until I got to the dead ends.

Plus I laughed at this comment in the middle of the story of one path.

(I have no idea how you would actually convert to Catholicism in this period, and I'm too rushed for time to research it, however, I suspect that it is long and boring to read about.)

Final scores

Gry - 7

Axxius - 6

Ab and Star - 5

Cupcake - 4

Zwei - 3

And that's it for the last contest of 2021. Onward to 2022!

2 years ago

Thanks a ton for running this contest!  And thanks for the points and commendation!

Congrats to everyone on your games, I'll try and read them through in the next few days.

2 years ago

Thank you EndMaster for hosting this contest and for the awesome feedback and commendation! Great job everyone who finished and congratulations on your win Gryphon.

2 years ago

(Are you using non-threaded view? Just a hunch; dismiss this if I'm incorrect.)

Congratulations to all of you who finished a contest entry! Well done on your win, Gryphon!

I'm looking forward to reading all these stories when I get the time. It might be just the thing to pull me out of my reading slump.

2 years ago

@Axxius @Mystic_Warrior

Thanks!

2 years ago
Well met and such contestants!

2 years ago

Thank you for hosting this contest! Both Abgeofriends and I really enjoyed it and we were pleasantly surprised with how well we did(especially with the rushed soldier path, lol). Congratulations to everyone that managed to submit something, and kudos to you @Gryphon for winning. 

2 years ago

I congratulate all of the people who submitted a story, Just submitting one was enough to get you out of shaming. 

2 years ago

Hey everyone!  Diplomat's been republished in its complete form if anyone's interested in checking it out!

2 years ago

Wow! great