Non-threaded

Forums » Reading Corner » Read Thread

Dust off a seat and discuss a good book here...you do read, right?

Lord of the Flies

one year ago

Recently I finished reading Lord of the Flies for school- and when I heard it was a story about boys stuck on an island, I wasn't expecting it to get so dark! Have you read it, and what are your thoughts?

Lord of the Flies

one year ago

(Cel has a crush on you)

Lord of the Flies

one year ago
Idk, one might argue that the actual cringelord fucktard act here is taking the time and care to photoshop posts for the lols of making a little girl feel bad in a thread you don't care enough about to post in in the first place.

Lord of the Flies

one year ago

XD I had to refresh the screen to see the picture, for a second all I saw was the text. I felt more weirded out before I got the context than afterwards tbh

Lord of the Flies

one year ago
I'm just here to say I did not call this thread a cringefest thread made by a fucktard. I haven't read the book, so I can't contribute otherwise, but Ford is a faggot.

Also happy birthday in twenty-one days.

Lord of the Flies

one year ago

Oh it's fine I wasn't about to go cry about it either way, but I figured after mizal's comment that something was up, since she mentioned photoshop. And thanks

Lord of the Flies

one year ago
I haven’t read it, and therefore have no thoughts on it.

Lord of the Flies

one year ago

I remember the class more than the book itself. For some good and some bad reasons. Our teacher was very passionate and had some moments where the whole class was stuck because she was drawing from interpretations I didn't get at the time. The first time it was because I was bad at making assumptions.

"What's a moment in this chapter that shows that Whatshisname has gone Full Evil?" I dunno, the pig rape was pretty bad. But it wasn't in that chapter. I was supposed to pick out the fact that the kid sharpened both ends of his stick, but frankly, if they were really about to have an island war, that just seems like a practical measure. Or, it would have seemed like a practical measure had the guy not already proven himself to be a vile spaz. I dunno.

The second time the class was so stumped that we actually got kept after class, but this was the most important part so I guess it was justified. I was bad at keeping certain things in mind the whole way through because it was a book I was forced to read in small pieces over a way longer time than I would've ordinarily read a book, but the parallel of Lord of the Flies all happening on this island with kids, and then them getting picked up on the ship at the end that belonged to a Navy fighting WWII, was a very neat moment that made my tiny highschool freshman brain go "Woah".

Lord of the Flies

one year ago

Yeah, those were my thoughts. And wasn't the stick thing supposed to show they planned on putting the main character's head on a stake? That's what I thought

Lord of the Flies

one year ago

That's certainly one possible reading of it. IIRC my teacher was fine with the interpretation that whatshisname was just particularly aggressive, since all the rest was left up to implication.

Lord of the Flies

one year ago
I personally thought the book was hilarious. I get that the metaphor is that even little kids can be Nazis, but Roger was already a sociopath. Also, whether Piggy’s boulder death was accidental or intentional, he has trash luck and would probably have been thinned out by natural selection on the island anyway (sucks to his ass’mar).

I never quite understood what the whole pig-skull-and-fly-swarm thing was trying to communicate. Is satan supposed to be chillin’ in a pig skull or inside Ralph?

All in all, I thought it communicated a message well, was unintentionally hilarious, and kind of killed whatever spiritual underpinning he was going for.

Lord of the Flies

one year ago
Back when I wrote an essay on it, I found some resources online that spouted some idiotic stuff of it "not having women" or it being overly simplistic in the transition to evil, yadda yadda.

I just found it to be good entertainment - an adventure story and all that. I don't read too critically.

Lord of the Flies

one year ago
HE'S ALIVE!