Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

The Weekly Review - Edition 3

8 years ago

Published every Friday, Editor: Will11, Special Thanks: SindriV

Editor’s Intro

This week the Review features an interview with the enigmatic SindriV, creator of the fantastic Homo Perfectus series, more reviews including EndMaster’s masterpiece Ground Zero and new tips, puzzles and jokes. I’ve slimmed down the Review a little to make it an easier read for people to browse through, hopefully there will be something here for everyone. The Writer’s Tips section has been changed to specifically refer to one genre now. As always good contributions and suggestions are welcome.

Reviews Recommending Riveting Reads

Note: your story-game must have received a player rating of at least 4 for inclusion here.

This Week:

The Midnight Forest: Ch1 (A Fantasy Adventure by MJ_Skylar)

You might overlook this little gem due to the large number of poor story games published in the last week but I seriously recommend giving this one a read: a gentle fantasy tale in the Narnia style the writing is superb, if only it could be longer or finished…

Eating Disorders Midterm (a School-Based game by Vnakaganeku)

A Medical textbook explanation of everything you could ever want to know about eating disorders.

Since The Dawn of CYOA Time (2001):

Ground Zero (a Sci-Fi story by EndMaster)

Ground Zero is a great story using a dramatic backdrop (you can’t get more dramatic than the end of the world) to explore the interactions between a group of well-drawn and varied characters. Typical of EndMaster’s style of writing this is more story than game but he creates a whole fictional world for his characters to inhabit and rather than one story you get the feeling you are reading one of a dozen or more possible short stories, each equally compelling which is exactly the way choose your adventure stories should be.

Interviewing Interesting Individuals

SindriV Speaks:

1: Why do you write choose your own stories?
I don't know, but I've always had an urge to make stories. When I was five years old I made primitive comic books and since then I've been exploring more and more ways to tell stories. In fact, right now I'm studying screenwriting and directing. I can't remember when I stumbled upon this website, but when I did, I had to try this out.

2: What is your preferred writing method and style?
I don't know. I haven't really thought about specific methods or styles. Maybe I still have them, and just don't realize it, but it's not something I make a conscious effort to put in my stories.

3: Any plans for future stories?
Well, I have been writing School of Assassins for a few years now, but I have been putting it more and more on hold. Maybe I'll never actually complete it, but who knows. I don't have plans beyond that.

4: Who are your favorite authors and/or story games on this site?
I actually don't do that much reading, which might be weird for someone who spends so much time writing. I often find I don't have the patience for it. Yes, I read stories from time to time, but it's not something I do often. I guess I'll go with EndMaster but even then, I haven't even read half his stuff, which I probably should do.

5: Do you have any advice for other writers?
I find that usually passion is what makes a story good. Write when you have passion for your story, avoid forcing you through it when you don't.

6: How about some final thoughts?
No, no final thoughts, oh wait, one final thought...and that was it.

Writer’s Tips - How to write a Good Quiz:

1) Do not have wrong answers lead to the End Game link. No one will have any interest in finishing your quiz.

2) Make use of the variables feature to assign scores to the readers based on their answers. That way a reader can receive a description of their knowledge at the end like a score of 0-3 being accompanied by the description “you’re blessed with an uncluttered mind” or a score of 10+ having the description “Have you ever considered going for a crazy hairstyle Einstein?”

3) Make the quiz interesting. We don’t want it too easy or too difficult but try to think of a middle ground a general reader or (in the case of specialized interest quizzes like a Dr Who quiz or a Lord of the Rings quiz) fan of whatever you’re writing about would know. Pictures, while not essential, are good for encouraging interest and a back-story of some sort to frame the quiz (Sethaniel, Ogre11 and Briar_Rose have written quizzes or puzzles with good back stories in the past so be sure to check those out for ideas of how to write a good quiz).

Puzzle of the Week

This week’s three puzzles come from Mensa.com. The first is an old English rhyme that is basically a Maths problem. The second puzzle is a twist on a similar and well-known riddle while the third puzzle is another straight-forward logic puzzle. Good Luck!

1: As I was going to St Ives I met a man with seven wives. Each wife had seven sacks, each sack had seven cats, each cat had seven kittens.Kitts, cats, sacks and wives: how many were going to St Ives?

2: A few minutes after a banker dropped off his son at a day care, a fire broke out. The son was trapped in a back room while the workers and all the other children escaped. When the firefighters arrived, one of them quickly looked at all of the children who had escaped and exclaimed, "My son is still in there – must go in and get him out!" How is this possible?

3: Yesterday, circus owner P.U. Burnem gathered his clowns, and told them he was going to fire every one of them after that night's performance. Last night, Burnem's electrocuted body was found underneath a bumper car.
The following facts have been determined; can you find the killer?
1. All male clowns with rubber noses wear red wigs.
2. None of the juggling clowns wear both a red wig and a rubber nose.
3. All happy clowns without rubber noses are part of the "tiny car" act.
4. None of the sad clowns without rubber noses wear red wigs.
5. All of the men who are sad clowns wear rubber noses.
6. None of the happy clowns who can't juggle wear red wigs.
7. All clowns with rubber noses who can't juggle are in the "tiny car" act.
The coroner was able to put the time of death at 8:17, which was during the clowns' "tiny car" act. Therefore, nobody involved in that act could possibly be the killer.
The list of suspects has been narrowed to the following four clowns. Which one of them bumped off the circus owner?
1. Alberto, who can juggle
2. Babs, who wears a red wig
3. Crazy Chester, who has a rubber nose
4. Doris, who is a happy clown

Last Week’s Puzzle Solution

1: The people, animals and location where they lost it are:

John lost his Dog in the Woods.

Mary lost her Cat in the Garden.

Robert lost his Rabbit in the Park.

2: Logical deductions can guide you to the solution here, you just reverse what all the liars said and work out the order they arrived in and whether the painting was missing or not when they were there. As BradinDorvak correctly says the order the Liars visited the Club is Bob, Tom, Ann and Chuck and Ann stole the painting.

3: The bear is white. The only location or earth where you can remain the same distance from a northern point after walking in a semi-circle around it is the North Pole. The only bears you would find at the North Pole are Polar Bears which are white (it’s penguins you’ll find at the South Pole).

Joke Corner

As they seem popular on this site here’s a few choice insults:

He's as sharp as a bowling ball.

He’s a few clowns short of a circus.
His driveway doesn't go all the way to the road.
The oven's on, but nothing's cooking.

The wheels spinning but the hamster’s dead.

He has an intellect rivaled only by garden tools.
I haven't been ignoring you; I've been prioritizing you.
No, those pants don't make you look fatter. I mean, how could they?
In the pinball game of life, his flippers were a little further apart than most (I’m not sure what this means but it’s quite creative).
He’s not so much of a “has-been“, as a definite “won't be“.
He would be out of his depth in a parking lot puddle.

PLEASE READ AGAIN NEXT FRIDAY FOR MORE REVIEWS, INTERVIEWS, TIPS, PUZZLES AND JOKES!

8 years ago

Clap clap all that jazz. yes

8 years ago

I ♥ it!

8 years ago

Answer to the rhyme puzzle: 1. You're the only one going to St Ives. You just met those people along the way, and it doesn't say if the others are going.

8 years ago

This, but if not one of the trick answers, based on mathematics it'd be this:

Wives: 7

Sacks: 49

Cats: 343

Kittens: 2401

Add two more (you and the man), and it's 2802. 

8 years ago

Another great weekly issue! High quality and consistent. I don't know how you have the time for this, but great job contributing to the community!

8 years ago

Haha thanks, that's appreciated. Tbh it only takes me about an hour to put this together, once I get the interview the jokes and puzzles are a copy and paste job, the only things I really write are the intro, reviews and writer's tips :) This seems to be going well so I'll get through ten editions and then see if people are still up for reading this :D

8 years ago

Answer #2) The firefighter is female, and the boy is the son of both the banker and the firefighter.

8 years ago

A good read. Wish I could help with one of these, but eh... I don't think I'd be much of a reporter.

8 years ago

I suspect you'd be able to help in the writer's tips section :) Don't forget my pm btw :D

8 years ago

Ah, damn, I did forget. Sorry. Bevan and Raven are ... very talkative. My inbox has been flooded lately.

8 years ago

At least I'm not as annoying as Bevan, right? :P My words are better to read than him and I make better storygames.. And.... sorry if I've been annoying.

8 years ago

xD I can understand you and you haven't been flooding my inbox as often lately. I'm not as gun-crazy as you are, but I wouldn't call you annoying, kiddo.

8 years ago

So how's Bevan?

8 years ago

>_> He asks the same questions repeatedly, bugs me over and over if I don't answer right away, presses too much for personal information or help, doesn't listen very well to any of the answers I give him, and he's difficult to understand.

It's the second one that really irritates the hell out of me, though. If I'm taking -days- to answer, that's one thing. Sure. Bug me. Once. If I take 30 minutes or a few hours, or even a day, then I'm busy or asleep or at work and hounding me repeatedly for an answer will just get on my nerves.  

8 years ago

As I stated before, it seems that he will never learn. His writing still sucked.

8 years ago

Yup. I just don't get it. He's a year older than you, says English is his first language and it's your second, if that ... and yeah, your grasp on English is a hell of a lot better. You're both from foreign countries, so I can understand that making it more difficult, but ... *shrug* I dunno, man. He just doesn't listen to advice. 

8 years ago

If he sends me a message and wants me to co-author his game or he wants to co-author my storygame, I'll be rejecting him. He's way too bad for my liking.