Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Actually Useful Site Member Awards for 2018!

5 years ago
We have our same handful of popular and prolific writers that get the recognition as the site's best again and again, but with New Year's coming up I wanted to put the spotlight on a few who have really come into their own and made a difference in this past year in particular.

@SpartacustheGreat and @Chanbot - What is simple to most can be very very difficult for others, but these two both tried really really hard and they didn't completely fail! Good job!

@OriginalClamurai and @undr - Both only around a few months, these two immediately carved out a place for themselves giving detailed reviews and insightful critiques. They've been very active assisting new storygame authors even of the most dire and hopeless sort as well being among the tiny handful of people who bother reading short stories posted on the forum.

@TheNewIAP - IAP has been a regular for a good few years, quietly reading 99% of the stories ever published and putting the trophy for that up on his shop wall next to all the mounted bear heads and machine worked robotic bear exoskeletons. This year however he also wrote his first major story, and second story ever, Bestist Friend Jane. It blew away the Epic contest competition and got featured in the Modern Games category as one of the most unique (and heartbreaking....) stories the site has ever had.

@WouldntItBeNice - WIBN is an androgynous alien from the planet of Missouri (pronounced Misery) who after learning to love Jesus began writing an impressive amount of stories this year. Despite having only a small robot dog to translate human language, the sheer prolificacy of the work slowly...very very slowly...taught him to write in English nearly as well as a native. His latest and greatest work, Azula and Zuko. 2019's challenge will be learning to verbally speak recognizable English as well, a particularly difficult skill for those from planet Missouri.

@Chris11302 - After 4 years on the site, during which he accomplished.....

.....well.....

......during which he indulged in the idleness of youth, an incredible transformation took place inside Chris. Not the one which made him appear to be a 40 year old man at 15, no. This transformation helped him realize his purpose on this Earth was to write stories of faceless men punching crime. He embraced this new calling with enthusiasm, gaining a featured story in the process. Word on the street was that he was as surprised as anyone.

@Ogre11 - And finally, Ogre11. In 4 years he's become one of the most prolific authors on the site, with...17? published stories? This year he doubled down and became the most prolific reviewer too, collecting over 400 commendations for featured storygame and short story reviews. He doesn't have any standout personality traits like being too assholish or an admin or too nice, he is a simple cave creature who burps and gets confused by things and so it seems like appreciation for his role on the site is long overdue.

I've probably judged unfairly or forgotten people completely but hey! I don't really care. All of you feel free to say nice things about anyone on or off this list and how they've contributed to the site as well.

Ultimately opted not to give simplesabley points since she just won a bunch from the Fanfic contest, but she probably deserves a bonus for her tales of chicken murder and tuna uncles....her writing potential or something.

5 years ago
Petition to give noteworthy pieces of shit a sentence or two as well for the lolz.

5 years ago
Go for it if you want to. Just don't expect me to assist, I'm bored with this thread already.

5 years ago
The only reason I skimmed the OP was because I was tagged. I too think this thread is boring and hardly have much interest left to ask why it was made.

5 years ago

It would be fun having something like this but it's just to point out the useless people, I assume there are lots to choose from.

5 years ago

Thank you mizal! I am so proud that I managed to win while doing as little as humanly possible. I accept this award with tears of accomplishment streaming down my face. 

5 years ago
Thanks for this!

It still feels really amazing to have finally accomplished something, but I can't ride this wave forever...or can I? Nope. I need to focus on putting something else out as soon as I can to pay for my keep.

I guess I should also congratulate everyone else on your list for their procrastination time well spent. So...congrats everyone!

5 years ago

It's 2018 man paying for keep is outdated, much better to freeload haha.

5 years ago
Holy cow, I'm useful! Hurray! Missourians also took up two of the useful member spots (though our third Missourian was absent since he's a lazy turd). We really did have a lot of people suddenly do awesome stuff this year. IAP published an friggen amazing storygame. Chris published The Question fanfiction, and it was successful. Ogre reviewed things since feedback is a great thing to have. Congratulations, Ford, for trying to do stuff that didn't involve being autistically retarded!

Coins can go play golf in a thunderstorm for all I care.

Also, I would like to point out how Ebon isn't on that list. Despite getting a featured storygame in the Fantasy section early this year, he proceeded to do nothing al all after that. This gives a definite message to all CYStians. If you put out effort, you will improve and eventually not suck horribly like me even if you have no natural writing talents (also like me). If you put out little effort (like Ebon), no amount of narcissistic self-righteousness and bragging will save you.

Also, I hope all y'all have a wonderful New Years!

5 years ago
Well consistent effort and involvement is more what this was about, no points for one hit wonders.

I mean aside for the pity prizes for the two where it was a miracle they finally did anything at all.

5 years ago

Oof thanks. I'm happy that the Bivalve Warrior is at my side.

This might actually be a good idea for the future; you were talking yesterday about resetting commendations every year so that the ones who have been wholesome all-year round (not my case, but shiny points are shiny) could be rewarded by Santa. While that system isn't active yet, this is nice.

5 years ago
Well thank you very much for the mention. I'm not sure I really did all that much, but thank you.

And everyone else reading this? It's 2019, step up your game! If you want... (don't want to micro-offend people or whatever).

5 years ago
It looks like you had 86 commended posts or reviews this year.

5 years ago

Actually not for an hour or so, right now it's still 2018

5 years ago

I feel giving a "Good job!" to Coins and Ford is lowering the bar so low that it's buried a good few feet underground now.

5 years ago
thanks me too

5 years ago

I mentioned this in the Discord, but I’m going to just go ahead and hand out this reward here.

“I am thankful that I only came here after you had begun to reign openly.  The empty void it must have been before that would have driven me away forever.” - Cricket

@Cricket is my favorite new CYSer so far.

I have enjoyed her personality along with her recent annoyance of several people due to some silly debate over Prince and a few other topics.

More importantly though her regular praising of me is way more important than what anyone else did last year, other than myself of course since Rogues was the number one story of 2018.

5 years ago

Thank you, sir, and I congratulate you on Rogues much deserved ranking.   It is a story now second only to Eternal on my fantasy recommendation list.  

Words cannot express how honored I am by your post, at least nothing within my skills to write.