Another Damn Wolf Story

Player Rating4.69/8

"Too few ratings to be ranked"
based on 46 ratings since
played times (finished )

"trek through the forest"

"A nice jog down the driveway"

"must be at least this tall to play"
Contains content that may not be suitable for persons under age 10. If this were a movie, it would probably be between G and PG.
I have no idea why I wrote this. All I can say in my defense is that it seemed like a good idea at the ti--wait no that's a lie, I said, repeatedly that this was stupid and shameful every time I mentioned working on it.

The truth is I needed to publish something before the end of the year and there is CLEARLY a burning need for wolf stories in the psyche of children using the internet. But then they write them badly, or make their wolves behave like clans of cats. So here is a simple straightfoward story of a young wolf leaving his pack in search of a better life. Maybe no one will ever feel the need to write another one now, or if nothing else maybe this will give them ideas for how to do it in slightly more minimum-standards-meeting ways.

Final conclusion however is that writing about some dumb animal with no agency is not something I'd recommend.

This was an incredibly stupid idea of Mizal’s, but the end result was not bad.
It’s not as if we all didn’t know she was a furry before this anyway.

It took me a while to really get into the story, but once I reached the part when the hobo bites the wolf and the subsequent ending—which was the first one I reached—I began to really enjoy myself. I did not see that end coming, and it was awesome. Most, if not all, of the endings were absolutely hilarious, and I loved the little comments at the end such as this pun I laughed a bit too hard at: “*****You sure took the lead all right.*****”
If it were not for the many hilarious and varied endings, I might have been a bit bored by this story, but they kept me very entertained and eager to read more.

The setting of the story took me by surprise a bit since I had been imagining it taking place in maybe the forests of Montana or something and then a crocogator eats the wolf. That was kind of cool to see a wolf story in a setting that I have not seen one in before like that.

It took me by surprise when the wolves started talking to one another, as that was one of the later branches I read. I feel like Mizal was channeling her own experience with all the retarded noobs who disappoint her after she goes out of her way to help them when she was writing the protagonist’s introduction to Cairn in the path in which he wastes his opportunity.

My biggest complaint is that I could only play a boy wolf insted of a girl and that there was no romance sense which is a very important part of any story to care about the characters and stuff and because its more reelistic that way because wolves need to have a mate.

The story itself was well-written and of a quality that definitely at a level that I felt no shame in reading this furry wolf story, and as far as I can remember, there was no re-branching. I didn’t see any obvious copy-paste work either, which is really refreshing after some of the stories I have read on here lately.

Those of you faggots who want to write a wolf story, read this and Alpha Wolf, and think about how shitty yours would be in comparison and how shitty you are for even considering an attempt at writing one.
-- Cricket on 6/6/2019 6:00:19 PM with a score of 0
It is certainly refreshing to see a story description point out that the story is, well, stupid? On the other hand, the description also really lets you know that the story is going to meet site standards. Seeing a lot of what has been “published” on this site, that’s really, really low goal to shoot for – but still one that seems to evade more than a few writers. On the other other hand, the story is by mizal, so perhaps all of this in the introduction is edgelordy and ironic…

The story starts out nice. It has a nice setting and scene. The wolf acts, and yes, even looks like a wolf, not a furry or a cat clan at all. It is even relatively realistic in that the wolf is going out on his own and is in a field. At least we’re not having to put up with selections like, “Are you a boy wolf or a girl wulf?”

You make some more realistic actions and do some things that, well, an actual wolf would do. In fact, it’s so realistic at some points that you’re honestly going to think you’re watching National Geographic specials. No, not the one where all the animals are nothing but blood and gore and killing one another; but more like the ones from Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom. You know, the ones where you could sit down and watch with the kids without worrying about your 3-year-old having nightmares of teeth and blood.

It is nice that you also get a choice just a few pages into the story. There are some good descriptions in those pages and the story develops around the life of the Animal Planet wolf quite nicely. Then it kind of all went downhill when I chose some option and suddenly I wasn’t a wolf any more. What the hell? I was having fun following the cameraman for Steve Irwin around and suddenly some creeper guy who was lying the woods in his underwear bites me? That’s just not right.

I did go back and make some apparently better choices that kept the story going for a bit longer. It was fun checking out the different directions and different options for the story. For whatever reason, it did appear that most of the endings were pretty crappy and ended in death. Of course, the story is about a damn wild wolf, and that’s sort of what happens to those things, so that seems fair. I did find the happily ever after ending, but was disappointed that I didn’t get a moral lesson with that ending. All in all a nice little read for an afternoon jaunt through the wilds as a wolf.
-- Ogre11 on 4/4/2019 4:36:18 PM with a score of 0
Interesting and well-written, I found myself not reading a story about a wolf, but living it. The experience of the wolf became my own. I howl as I type, more beast than man.

Not really, but it was a good go.

There were several things that I liked about this storygame. The breadth of language used in the writing prevented it from getting stale and repetitive. There were times when I had to double check google to make sure certain terms were used correctly and was delighted to find that they were. So thanks for the lesson.

I liked the diversity of the story and endings. I believe I played through them all, but it's possible that I missed one, somewhere. I was a little too amused, possibly, by the weredude ending. The absurdity and break from the otherwise solid continuity of the story gave me a chuckle.

I like when a story takes on the subjective perception of the protagonist and this story does that well. Writing things not as they are, but as they appear to be can make a mundane experience exciting and fresh.

This leads me to some of the issues in your story. There were times when there was a break from your standard subjective descriptions. Calling out human-specific objects by name, such as bullets and shorts, doesn't jive with your prominent method, such as metal beasts and black rivers.

There were a few small hits on grammar, but overall it was very solid. I noticed an inconsistency with your links from page to page. Some pages included punctuation on the links, while others with similar links (such as ones describing actions) did not. A near-imperceptible inconsistency, but with a proven author, it's something worth noting.

This storygame was respectable, if a little dry in terms of plot, but considering your intent with this game, more effort was put into it than I expected. There were no magic wolves with wings that you gave cool scars, so that is something that you are going to have to live with for the rest of your life. Other than that, it was some good tongue-in-cheek fun.

Tl;dr

wow cool story 8/8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (since I guess that is what we are doing)
-- OriginalClamurai on 12/30/2018 3:35:11 AM with a score of 0
wow cool story 8/8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-- Aquatic on 1/4/2021 8:49:09 PM with a score of 0
Decently written and interesting little simulation of what being a wolf might be like, without any cringe. Wasn't sure if I should rate 4 or 5, but I think 5 is the status quo for decent works that entertain without being long or in depth.
-- AnthonyScoffler on 12/10/2020 7:57:06 PM with a score of 0
Wereman for the win!

So gladI found this ending

Keep this up so I can look for more lol
-- corgi213 on 12/10/2020 7:13:15 PM with a score of 0
*SPOILER*
I think I got most the endings but my favourite was the meme ending
-- etrow5 on 7/28/2019 11:00:37 PM with a score of 0
It's very good. Slightly boring, yes, but I love wolves, so therefore I love this story. 7/8.
-- BgirlStories on 5/3/2019 6:09:26 PM with a score of 0
When are you releasing your Warrior Cat epic?
-- Bucky on 4/29/2019 3:01:02 PM with a score of 0
Sorry for the delay in reviewing this one, from the beginning it is clear that the writing is of a very high level with a wide and varied use of vocabulary, error-free as far as I could see and the story creates a good immersive experience as a wolf making me feel a bit like Bran from Game of Thrones when he’s doing his wolf thing. I don’t have too much to add as feedback that hasn’t been already said in better reviews, the story does what the label says, does it well and showcases Mizal’s ability to write in an interesting and enjoyable style from an unfamiliar point of view, of course it’s limited by the limitations of the story itself: it’s about a wolf doing things so therefore lacks much of a plot, characters etc but the branching is good and some of the endings extremely creative. 5/8
-- Will11 on 2/20/2019 10:21:16 AM with a score of 0