The social network settings allow you to make your account closed to outsiders, and you can find out what private on Instagram is from this article.
By default, the ability to view the page, posts, and everything that any user shares is provided to everyone. But if you set privacy, then only confirmed subscribers can get access.
Create account from iPhone
Owners of these smartphones need:
- Open the Instagram application.
- Click the profile icon.
- Click on the three lines on the right, at the top of the screen, and then on the settings.
- Then select "Privacy and seucirty"> "Account privacy", then activate the "Personal account" setting.
Create a private page from a Windows phone
Having learned what private on Instagram is, you can easily install it by following these steps:
- Open Instagram.
- Click the profile icon, which looks like a person's head and shoulders.
- Click on the settings, with the image of the gear.
- Go to the item "Personal account".
Create account from Android phone
To create a closed page, you need:
- Open the Instagram application.
- Go to profile.
- Click the settings menu, which looks like three vertical dots.
- Activate the option "Personal account".
Closing an account from a computer or mobile browser
It is very easy to learn how to make a private on Instagram through these devices, for this you need to follow these steps:
- Login to instagram.com.
- Go to your profile.
- Click the settings menu.
- Select the "Privacy and Security" section.
- Go to the item "Account confidentiality", check the box next to the option "Closed account".
You can switch between closed / open page an unlimited number of times. At the same time, all subscribers will still have full access to all publications.
What is the difference between a private profile and an open one
To better understand what private on Instagram is, you need to highlight the main differences:
- to subscribe to a closed page, you must send a request to its owner, who decides whether to allow this person to subscribe;
- subscribers' requests are located in the "Actions" section, they can be confirmed or ignored;
- photos, videos from closed accounts are not displayed in the general hashtag search, so only subscribers of these people can find them. This also applies to geolocation;
- a private account can be found through the user search, but only the avatar, nickname, number of subscribers, publications will be visible;
- comments, likes of closed accounts can be seen by those who have access to view these publications. The link to the private page is active, but when non-subscribers click on it, they see a notification about the enabled privacy settings;
- one of the important points - even if the user makes his posts closed for Instagram, then when they are sent to social networks, they will be visible to everyone who has access to the page. That is, it depends on the privacy settings of the other social network.
Other ways to stay private
Having figured out what a private account is, as well as having performed the necessary manipulations, you can install additional functions.
To limit the amount of personal information on your page, it is better to use a fake name. To change it you need:
- Tap the account icon.
- Click "Change your profile".
- Choose any of four options: name, username, website, bio.
In addition, it is possible to block any person who had access to publications before setting the privacy settings:
- Highlight the name of the person you want to open their account.
- Click the icon with three horizontal dots.
- Click "Block user".
Now he will not be able to see the publications, in addition to this, the likes left by him, the comments will be deleted automatically.
Understanding what a private account means, you can't go past the direct function, because it also deals with privacy. And it makes it possible to send publications to other users, but they will not be displayed in the general feed. This is convenient for those who do not want to close the page completely, but want to share photos, videos only with certain people. Using this service is pretty easy:
- Go to the "Photos" section, from which publications are usually sent.
- Take a picture or find it by going to the device gallery, process it if necessary, click "Next". When publishing, choose "Direct" above the photo.
- Add a description, mark recipients by clicking on the avatars from the list below.
- Click on the "Publish" checkbox.
After that, the photo will be available only to those to whom it is addressed.
Hide photos and videos tagged by other users
If the user does not want others to see the posts where he has been tagged, he must do the following:
- Click on a video or photo.
- Click on your name.
- Go to "Hide from my profile" for iOS or turn off "Show on your profile" for Android.
To make photos and videos visible again, you can repeat steps 1-2, then you need to activate "Show in my profile". Can you see other people's likes on instagram? You can to use special servoces for that deal.
To remove several videos or photos from public access at the same time, the order is as follows:
- Go to the profile, click on the three vertical lines.
- Select "Settings", after "Privacy", then "Tags".
- Click on the item "Hide photos and videos".
- Flag a video or photo, click Hide for iOS, or the crossed-eye icon for Android.
It is important to remember that when you hide a video, as well as a photo from your page, the mark will not be removed.