Non-threaded

Forums » Feature Wishing Well » Read Thread

Suggestions for improvements and additions to the site.
This feature was rejected 8/19/2019: Not worth it for the effort.

[SITE] Ability to see into own published storygame

8 years ago

So, let's say you happen to write a very difficult storygame. Now let's say you'd like to make a walkthrough because it is indeed very convoluted and nothing short of CYS Nintendo Power Magazine will give you the answers. Now let's say that you also happen to have completely forgotten everything and can only make vague gestures in the right direction because you forgot important details on how to go about doing things.

May I propose, as a solution to this problem, the ability to look into the game's code and pages in a way similar to the storygame editor, except without being able to change anything and without unpublishing the game and losing all your precious ratings? I suppose this would also be useful for re-learning scripts you used in one game that you've forgotten about completely.

8 years ago

I do wish you wouldn't leave yourself logged in on my computer...

8 years ago

... I can't tell you how much I would appreciate this. ;_; This needs to be a thing.

8 years ago
So basically a read only mode.

Would be nice. While I can understand locking the author out from doing edits after the story is published, I think we should at least be able to see the pages and code.

8 years ago
I don't think you lose your ratings.

8 years ago

One of the warnings before you confirm the unpublishing is that the ratings will be deleted, but yeah; I don't think they actually are, or at the very least not right away.

8 years ago
The old ratings no longer count towards the rating of your storygame when it's republished, but they still stay in the system.

8 years ago
So supposedly the ratings are suppose to show at "No ratings yet"? Honestly, every time I republished it, it showed the old ratings.

8 years ago

I think it just takes some time to update.

8 years ago
Hmmm. I check back once in a while, but it doesn't change.

8 years ago
They don't count toward the rating. Singular - the overall rating of your story.

The individual ratings still exist and can be seen by looking at the details.

8 years ago
Um, what's the difference? Not sure what you're saying. Do you mean that even though it still show the same ratings, when republished, it's actually a blank slate when you're sorting story games by the ratings?

8 years ago
Wow...

Your story has an overall rating. The overall rating is the weighted average of all your ratings.

When you unpublish a game, the old ratings no longer count. Only new ratings will count towards that overall rating. The old ratings still exist in the system, but no longer count towards the weighted average.

8 years ago
So if no one rates your story after it's republished, then what's the overall rating? Undetermined? Because I'm pretty sure I never saw that after republishing.

8 years ago
I never said it was undetermined. Why would you make random assumptions? It starts with the old rating and changes once people start rating it again.

8 years ago

It wasn't exactly random...I made the same assumption, based off observing your conversation.

8 years ago
Bad Taco, bad.

8 years ago

Wait, how am I bad?

8 years ago
Well, isn't that convenient.

8 years ago

I think that you have proposed a fantastic idea.

A little foresight might reduce the need to "See Beyond" however.

Save scripts you might want to reference elsewhere and work on your guide as you are working on your story.

8 years ago

I do, but I have a lot of notes to keep track of and I didn't always save my scripting. Plus, uh ... when I go on writing rampages at three in the morning? I am not writing a walkthrough along side it. I could change directions a dozen times during the process, add whole new chapters, tear some out, branch off into a bunch of new endings ... *shrug* it's how I work. Aside from that, some stories--like 3J's tower sequel--were written years ago with no walk-through and, going off that example, sometimes the writer simply cannot remember how they function. This feature would be a huge help.

8 years ago

I only meant to give credence to both sides. Like I said, fantastic idea.

8 years ago

Oh. I didn't know there were sides. xD I just figured you were offering some good advice, which I do acknowledge IS, indeed, good advice to fill the need expressed here (keeping notes on your work is something I advocate to the point of being a horrible information packrat) and I was just pointing out that the feature would still have a lot of uses anyway and that the advice might not work for every scenario.

8 years ago

Yes, I would love that.

8 years ago

I've thought of that, and would have posted it earlier, but then my brain just decided to go on some sort of "English Block" and take the words out of my vocabulary...

I support this idea.

8 years ago

I like it!  I hope this is accepted.

8 years ago

The last accepted feature was accepted over a year ago. Hmm. =|

8 years ago

Honestly, let's just be grateful Alex is still paying the bills.

8 years ago

Oh, agreed. What I was actually implying is that it seems like Alex just hasn't had that kind of time in quite a while. Much as I'd like to have this feature, I dunno that it's even remotely feasible, and if it is, it'd probably be time consuming to make possible.

8 years ago

A guy can dream, can't he?  Just this morning I was considering my plan of attack if I won the lottery.

8 years ago

And dream I do.

8 years ago

I misread IAP's "plan of attack" as "plane of attack" and figured if IAP won the lottery he was going to immediately buy a military jet and bomb the hell out of people.

8 years ago
Nah, if I won the lottery I'd probably give my business to my worst enemy and watch them desperately try to sink or swim drown.

8 years ago

That does sound like fun, though. I mean, it'd be horrible for everyone else, but hey ...

8 years ago

Yes please.