Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Hi!

8 years ago

Hi everyone! I'm SoulWriter! I had an awesome idea for a title, if I only knew what it should be about... I only write about animals, but it sounds like it would be a human story...

The title is Dear Other Half of Me, please don't steal it! Any suggestions on what it should be about?

Hi!

8 years ago
Don't worry, people here aren't in the habit of stealing from each other.

The title is a bit vague ... it conjures up images of everything from a love story to a horror story.

...and welcome to the site.

Hi!

8 years ago
Welcome, enjoy your stay!

Hi!

8 years ago

Welcome, nice to meet you. While greeting messages absolutely do go in Newbie Central, any brainstorming sessions actually belong in the Writing Workshop threads. You can ask questions about basic info here, since it is for newbies, but the nature of your question is different. 

Also, yes, I do have suggestions. Multiple ones, as a matter of fact. I'd be happy to share them, but again, please use the WW.

Hi!

8 years ago

Hi, welcome to the site and Dear Other Half of Me sounds like someone's sharing a bond with someone else like a twin or girlfriend, I like the twin idea and it'd be interesting to see something like Blood Brothers with a cast of animals :)

Hi!

8 years ago

OoooooooOOOOOOOOooooooooooOOOOOOOooooooooo! I know! Norse mythology, with a bit of other things mixed with it as a base.

Ginnungagap; beggining of the world. Fire and Ice meet, making the ocean and first life etc.

Life exited the ocean in pairs, right? (not saying that this is or is not true) One of the pairs being the Wolf and the Man. Each species being a guardian of some aspect of the world. For the wolves, A white spirit and a black spirit - the white chasing the sun, and the black chasing the moon. If the humans died, the wolves being the brother species would also die, and without such a large aspect of life, the rest of the world. Dragons being the guardians of dark/light magic, but since they died off, the aspect of magic also disappeared. It's said that Fenrirsulfur/Fenrir/Fenris/Demon wolf was a black wolf spirit.

Well, you have the setting; you could have the main character a wolf and the 'Other Half of Me' being a human as brother species. You could have the main character be a wolf and the 'Other Half of Me' being the opposing wolf spirit. Or vise-versa.

Note; This is the setting for another work of art, and where the idea came from. There is a comic with the same base (norse with a bit of other things mixed in), but there are lots of stories based just off of norse. Setting based off of mythology is quite common. The other stuff mixed in just fills in the holes norse leaves to stabilize the setting a bit more. You can reuse the setting without copying the plot; make it your own.

Hi!

8 years ago

Good luck~

Hi!

8 years ago

Welcome to CYS!

You came up with the title of a story that has no story?

Hi!

8 years ago

A work's title is not unimportant.

Hi!

8 years ago

It is an odd place to start, I think. Not that I'm criticizing.

Hi!

8 years ago

Not really all that odd. (at least, from how I view it.) A title is rather important; it catches peoples attention, and hints at what's to come. In my opinion, it's a bit easier to find a title that perks intrest, and then build a story around it.

Hi!

8 years ago

Odd as in uncommon, Taco. :P Again, I'm not criticizing.

Hi!

8 years ago

That's how "A Quiz I made for the Blatant Hell of it All" got started.

I was like, "Hey, Me, make a quiz for the blatant hell of if all! You should even call it 'A quiz I made for the blatant hell of it all!"

Then Me was all like "That's a great idea, I, but what about the plot?"

"Plot!?" I said, "It's a quiz! It's not supposed to have a plot!"

And then Me was all vindictive and shit, and he said, "Pff, I'll show you, I! I'll plot the living shit out of my quiz! It'll even have a token character with a speech impediment!"

And then they hauled me off to the mental institution, and I was forced to stop fucking talking to myself.

Case in point: You can make almost mediocre games if you start from the title.

Hi!

8 years ago

:P

Hi!

8 years ago
Okay, maybe "odd" as in "really ODD."

Hi!

8 years ago

ODD: Oddball-avoidance Deficit Disorder

It's why I keep joining communities like this. That and the Law of Attraction (which in my opinion is more of a tendency than a law, but it's fun to believe).

Hi!

8 years ago

You don't understand what I'm saying.

How does one come up with a title for something when they have no idea what they're writing about?

By the way, SoulWriter, I'm not critisizing you. I'm just kinda baffled. 

Hi!

8 years ago

I've done it before. You find / dream up a particularly nice sounding string of words, or sometimes just a word, and you think "hey, this would make a great title for a story" and then you try to find a plot that fits the title. Yes, it seems really non-intuitive, and I do understand your confusion, but it is nonetheless a thing.

Hi!

8 years ago

Welcome to the Site!

Hi!

8 years ago
A person with conflicting personalities was cut in half vertically by a chainsaw murderer. Appeared as two ghosts and began talking to each other - telling one another about what they liked and disliked in their life and which personality should've done what.

Hi!

8 years ago

Pen Pals on opposite sides of the world communicating solely by letter. Perspective switches between both characters. One slowly descends into madness.

Hi!

8 years ago

Mary and Max was excellent. Highly recommend it to anyone.