Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

Just a random question. What is your favorite Marvel Hero of all time?

My personal favorite is Winter Soldier.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

Wolverine. His origin story is interesting, and his personality is intense. I like a guy who can get things done.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

*snigger*

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

;)

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

Stop flirting you two.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

No, you see, it's funny that she likes a go-getting ubermensch because she's an avid supporter of eugenics. It wasn't an innuendo until that damn wink face got involved!

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

Oh, this again. You're attributing something to me that I never said. I am not, nor have I ever professed to be, a supporter of eugenics. In another thread, that has since been deleted because it got out of hand, I mentioned that natural selection no longer applies anymore due to different advances, celebrity, and money.

Look up the definition of eugenics, look up the definition of natural selection, compare and contrast them, and let's all be mature and let that die.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

Oh relax, you're only a straw eugenicist for the same reason that your nickname is KKK and people call BondageSteve Bondagesteve.

Though, for the sake of derailment, which I'm about due for, natural selection is the process whereby whoever has the most babies gets to have a species that looks/lives like they do in the distant future. Technically, natural selection is still happening now. It's a principle based on what happens, not something we've suddenly become able to avoid somehow. 80% of the population in some places has the Genghis Khan blue-ass. That's the result of natural selection. Hypothetically, someone could still have a million thousand grandkids, nothing's changed. What has changed is that we're no longer evolving to be hunter-gatherers, and the internet has given voice to countless troglodytes that until recently had only been able to hide in their caves... And they still do, for the most part, they just communicate more.

Eugenics is the process of trying to purposefully curb natural selection so that a given population becomes the prettiest and most usefullest population in all the land. To try and get rid of technology and shit do that we could become hunter-gatherers again and try to evolve that way, would be eugenics. Specifically negative eugenics, since everyone this side of the equator but Bear Grylls would probably end up dying or having an otherwise sucky, not-breedy time. To sterilize someone genetically disabled, criminal, or douchey, which I'm also pretty sure you said you supported, or were at least trying to justify in your post for the sake of derailment, is also negative eugenics... Which can get pretty Nazi-ey whenever you don't have very strict, legally airtight, indisputable, inexploitable, and very, very clear-cut rules defining who should be allowed to make fresh zygote and who shouldn't.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

Exactly. Thanks for posting this. Natural selection occurs through natural methods. Eugenics is through human intervention. No, I am not a straw eugenicist. You can proclaim things; it doesn't make them true.

For your other things, Kit Kat is a candy bar, as I'm sure you're aware. Kaity is a nickname for several other names. And no one is calling Steve, BondageSteve. Though I'd support the movement were it to occur.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

You are one to give odd, unclear messages.

Edit: What's all this text!? Are you editing in responses as you read the post? That's just sloppy. Read firat, else someone replies first and spoils your work!

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

I did read it first. I thought of something I wanted to add after posting. I know ninja editing is a thing.

Edit - I skimmed through your post originally. I've already researched it, and quite frankly I'm over it. But I just noticed you said this, "To sterilize someone genetically disabled, criminal, or douchey, which I'm also pretty sure you said you supported."

Let me clarify, yet again, what you don't seem to get. I never said that. I never even used the word "sterilize." Ever. I do not support that, and I do not believe in it.

I don't understand why this became a thing. It's annoying. I was new to the site (still kind of am, I guess). I would like to be a member just like every other person here.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

What did you say? Because honestly saying, "well, we'll just tell them not to breed" is ridiculous, and you never said that either. In fact, iirc, you never said anything specific at all. You just heavily implied that negative eugenics was supposed to happen to that person. Would there be government operated chastity belts? Ooh boy, that's a slippery slope too... And, honestly, probably worse and more humiliating than being stricken of the will to do it in the first place.

Oh, right, and welcome. You're definitely one of the new regulars. This is how it goes. Hard times and Luls for everyone, you either get used to it or don't. "Laugh and the world laughs with you" that kinda shit. I'm sure your corner store has plenty of anal cream should you not adapt. But yes, this is averge stuff, just ask Mason.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

Nope. I never implied that either. You're putting all kinds of words in my mouth that never happened.

I'm sure it is average, but some of it is juvenile. As I've said before, this kind of behavior can discourage users from joining and participating in the site, and sites need new users to remain alive. If you look back, people who joined years ago have disappeared and are no longer active. That's the nature of a site like this. It only hurts CYA, for you to act this way. I can adapt, yes. I guess I just expected better.

3J has an article on why this behavior is not desirable too. I'll try and find the link for you.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

Uh-huh... Then what exactly were you doing, describing the perfect candidate for negative eugenics and then... Not making anything resembling a point? Pardon me for not reading the whole thing before it was deleted, but I suppose that's the nature of the un-worthy.

Yep. And yet new members keep showing up for some reason. I suppose we're #blessed. Yes, I get that we scare people away, but you can take a good look at our polar opposites, like Tumblr and Figland, and know full well that not being able to tease people for ridiculous reasons is just as fucking scary. People will be scared away or turned off no matter what kind of community you try to cultivate.

3J has an article on why being toxic and insulting everyone is bad. I'm not being salty with you. I haven't made an attack on your person during this entire snafu. I'm just making observations as inoffensively as I know how, and you're getting tremendously bothered because I have questions, which is why this is funny.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

Now that I've kept you from editing any more shit in and I have a nice, final post to work with...

Not really? Technically ? I mean I guess that's what it boils down to in most cases? Either way, nothing's really intervened with natural selection if you believe that what's happened to humanity is only the natural sequence of things, and that's how it would've happened any which way. The entire course of human selection is not eugenics. Unless it is, by your definition, in which case, what are the animals doing? At what point in our evolution dud we start intervening? Eugenics is the conscious, self-aware effort to improve a population by encouraging or discouraging breeding. For the most part, that just doesn't happen in the free parts of the world. Humanity has experienced mostly uninterrupted natural selection most of the time in most parts of the world, and your three things haven't changed that.

I think that first paragraph may have gone over your head a bit. The reason this happens is because it bothers you, and the child within me feels joy and happiness at this simple comedy, for much the same reason I originally sniggered at your post.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

If you look up the definition of troll, this comes dangerously close to it, "The reason this happens is because it bothers you, and the child within me feels joy and happiness at this simple comedy."

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

The fact that you would even imply that I'm a fishing method for lazy people offends me deeply and personally, and I beg you check your rampant privilege before ever speaking with a fellow person of my very particular kind and color ever again. I'm going to go vaguely threaten all if your shit on amazon. And then I'm going to threaten your entire Amazon wish-list!

... Seriously though, this site is full of trolls. We troll on a daily basis. Vitriolic comradery and... not-so-comrade-ly relations are our bread and butter. Destructive trolls get removed, nice ones, and especially handsome ones, like me, stick around.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

I feel like you've just kind of misinterpreted everything she said, but I never saw the original thread so I don't know the whole story. This whole thing is... really annoying.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

Does Venom count? He's not really a hero, but I guess Agent Venom can be called Venom and a hero.

I was really disappointed when they ruined his character after Agent Venom met the Guardians of the Galaxy, though.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

1 Cable

2 feral

3 Deadpool

4 Sunspot

5 Shatterstar

6 Punisher 

7 wolverine

8 Carnage (i know he is evil) 

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

Winter Soldier.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

Venom. Since he started out as a villain, whenever he gets to be a hero, he also gets to be genuinely morally questionable, mysterious, and dangerous... For a brief few seconds until the writers fuck it up and say, "Oh, he's a good guy now. Let's try to make him endearing and relatable so the toys'll sell harder."

Other than that, Thor's always a good chuckle, and I'm fond of the Punisher, even if the Worf effect makes him useless.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

did you see what they did to venom lately

they made the klyntar fucking good guys and the evil symbiotes 'corrupted' versions of them. venom was meant to be a prime example of a 'good' klyntar, preferring to bond with a host rather than just drain it of its life energy. now everything is fucked up for the symbiotes and venom just looks like a muscular version of agent venom and the klyntar are pacifists.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

Wow, that's fucking horrible. Venom's always had kind of a shitty run with writers trying to "fix" his morality one way or the other without letting hin just be a guy, but that's sickening. I don't read that much post-90s/early-mid 00s Spiderman stuff, namely because I have no post-90s/early-mid 00s Spiderman stuff, nor the money or willpower to get any, but what I took from TVtropes' vaguely specific summary on symbiote culture was that the symbiote were a proud warrior race that bonded to the mightiest warriors that they could find in order to walk the earth having chivalric adventures and being heroes, but then there were some pragmatic ones that ruined the whole bunch with Sith Powers, and so the only ones left were just supervillain fuel. Either way, the last thing I expected the remaining good guys to be was pacifistic, and the last thing I wanted Venom to end up as is Agent Venom, except that's not just an alternate design...

Such travesties. I'll have to put Venom up there on my list of casualties with Twilight Lobo, Judge Gay, and The Silver Age.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

Well, I guess I could count villains too. So..

1. Winter Soldier, he's badass, especially with that robotic arm.

2. Deadpool, we are so alike! I use all of his weapons, and I break the 4th wall!

3. Captain America, I'd love to fight for justice too. Go team Cap!

4. Spiderman, hes pretty cool I guess.

5. The X-men (and woman) are pretty cool too.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

You're not Deadpool. You will never be Deadpool. Please don't try and be Deadpool.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago
This is so funny. Deadpool is a joke. He's a gag. You are trying to be Deadpool.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

Deadpool isn't a gag. It's important that future generations understand this, because Deads is slowly flanderizing in a direction that makes him painfully one-dimensional. Deadpool is a collection of gags, a very important satire. During the 90s, he was a parody of all the grimdark, brooding superheroes of the era. These days, he parodies the excessively commercial nature of comic books. Breaking the fourth wall, being loud, and killing people doesn't make you Deadpool, it makes you an obnoxious 'Murica weeb. Deadpool is more than that, he keeps comics on their toes by making sure no one around him can take themselves too seriously. He points out problems in design and narrative, helps people understand the Tropes of the trade and comics themselves. I'm not sure we have that Deadpool anymore, but it's important to value the lessons he taught us and look at things critically whenever a medium loses the ability, or in this case, the character, to make fun of themselves. New52 butchered their lobo, and look where it got us now. Cardboard batman, evil superman, the cliched Injustice universe... Oh, and suicidal Harley Quinn.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

You're forgetting immortal space joker.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

The point is, Ryder's cheerful little fursona is decidedly not Deadpool, just a pointless, gun-toting Mary Sue with a license to be obnoxious. And there are several writers and execs who need to be slapped for inspiring such abhorrent ideas in today's youth. They were already annoying enough with their Slenderman bullshit.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

immortal.

fucking.

space joker.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

Aaaaaaand that's why I prefer Marvel.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

pacifist venom.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

Randomly sociopathic Iron Man, Deadpool with laser eyes, the entire X-men movie franchise, mood whiplash, Blob the random Cannibal, Heavy Flo.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

Man, fuck comic books. I'll just stick to vidya.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

You mean the thing with such travesties as cookie-cut-of-duty, Blundertale, Botchdogs, all the IPhone shit, the F.E.A.R. series, TLOU, Uncharted, Gears of War, Evolve the DLC monstrosity, and Overwatch the Master Whore?

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

Is it in your nature to ruin things for people?

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

The point is, you can't judge things on the massive pile of bad apples underneath all the good ones. Marvel and DC pretty much balance each other out in terms of quality, even though one is definitely suffering more than the other these days...

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

Wouldn't it be funny if this comment sparked an argument about which one is suffering more?

A moment of silence, please.

7 years ago

This was Lobo.

Lobo was my favorite character in all of books. Atticus Finch comes in second, which is saying a whole fucking lot.

Lobo is now a comparatively waifish Twilight character with gills, highlights, fucking katanas, no sense of humor, and, AFAIK, no fucking space motorcycle.

This was Harley Quinn.

Harley Quinn was delightfully insane and entertaining. She was incredibly badass and on par with her love interest in terms of badassity. 

She is now an obnoxious Barbie in the cinematic universe, and also apparently sane and suicidal in the comics.

This was Amanda Waller.

Who's the most badass human in all of DC Comics? The one who can yell at Batman, punch superpowered villains in the face, and still win, of course. Amanda Waller was a superhero in her own right, a super FBI agent and sort of a foil to Batman... And, honestly, I've seen her do a lot more detective work than Batman's been doing in recent days.

Amanda Waller is now an Animu.

#DCRestInPeace

A moment of silence, please.

7 years ago

*lowers head*
*funeral dirge*

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

Deadpool is not a furry, or will he ever be one. Deadpool is also good at killing things. You aren't.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

Spider-Man and/or Captain America. I prefer the super heroes that manage to maintain their optimism and light-hearted-ness despite experiencing tragedy. A less predictable response to tragedy than becoming grim and angry.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

Quicksilver, especially his portrayals in the new X-Men movies. I mean really, have you ever seen anything as cool as a guy who can run at hypersonic speeds listening to 'Sweet Dreams' while saving people from an exploding mansion in slow motion and then riding a table out of said exploding mansion?

No. No you haven't.

Deadpool's a close second, though. Magneto's definitely my favorite villain, primarily because he isn't evil just 4 teh evulz, he actually just doesn't want people fucking with his kind and will do anything it takes to stop them from doing so.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

Dr. Doom

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

Ok, I won't try to be Deadpool, even though we are so alike. BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT, you can't tell me to stop being who I am, which is Deadpool :3

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

Congrats on the negative point milestone in just three days! 

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

The moderators don't like me mentioning that apparently.

Anyways, I knew a kid who claimed he was just like Kirito from SAO: Abridged once, too. He was not like Kirito from SAO: Abridged in the slightest.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

Hmm... I think I remember him.

SAO is fine at first... but then, it gets worse and cringey. Kirito just won't die.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

That rape scene tho. And don't get me started on season two.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

Season two is even worse and cringey (and boring). The new girl character (forgot her name, she carries a .50 cal) is annoying. Asuna is annoying. All the girls are damn annoying. Kirito is just... shit and too much plot armor.

I really... really want all the protagonists to die.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

hence why SAO: Abridged is all around better than actual SAO.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

What is that?

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

An abridged series is a fan-based dub of an animated show, be it anime or western animation. They're almost exclusively parodies and SAO: Abridged is the only abridged series I've ever liked, mainly because of the excessive work they put into making their jokes work.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

My favorite Marvel character is Justin Trudeau.  

Marvel Comics

7 years ago
Nightcrawler.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

SupermanKiel, you gotta tell them I'm kidding.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

If you guys are going to argue about eugenics, at least bring up heroes like Apocalypse, Mr. Sinister and Red Skull to support your arguments.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

You're right! If Penguin is so interested in the topic and "has questions." We should at least include Marvel references to keep it relevant.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

But my latest ones weren't answered, so now I feel upset, rather like the hulk does all the time... If the hulk was fueled by sadness.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

Actually here’s a question for Marvel fans or at least people with more knowledge about it than me.

What exactly are the major differences between Apocalypse and Mr. Sinister's goals anyway?

From what I can tell they both are into the whole survival of the fittest thing and only wanted the strongest mutants to survive, so they always seemed sort of interchangeable as far as X-Men major villains went (As opposed to Magneto who had slightly different goals).

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

There really isn't much in the way of differences. That's why in most incarnations Apocalypse and Mr. Sinister are allies, usually with Mr. Sinister serving beneath him.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago
I'm not a die-hard Marvel fan but Apocalypse has a more boss-level name(?)

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

From what I remember from the animated series, Mister Sinister was creepy crazy, in that he liked experimentation and was obsessed with Cyclops and Jean and their future child. He would capture X-Men, connect them to machines and cackle. Apocalypse was all about human genocide and mutants ruling the earth with him as a king or god. I also remember Magneto as wanting dominance over humans, though he seemed to prefer allowing them to live on as slaves of the superior mutant species, rather than genocide. When I was looking at the Marvel site, they mentioned that Magneto performed genetic experiments as well, so it seems he's a hybrid of Apocalypse and Mister Sinister.

I watched the series as a kid, but I did some research to refresh my memory. Below is a summary what I found on the Marvel website. It's surprisingly not very detailed, considering Marvel is the company that made and owns these characters...

Mr. Sinister

His real name is Nathaniel Essex, and he became Mister Sinister through Apocalypse. Sinister is a mad scientist type, who performs experiments, has a desire to live forever, and is obsessed with Cyclops. He was so obsessed with Cyclops that  he "created" Cyclops's son, Nathan, to kill Apocalypse. Nathan became Cable, a time traveling mutant. What's interesting about this, is Marvel's website lists Apocalypse as an alias for Mister Sinister.

File:Apocalypse head.jpg Apocalypse

The first mutant, Apocalypse's real name is En Sabah Nur. He wants mutants to rise up as their own race and eradicate all humans. His history is filled with him enslaving four mutants as horseman, trying to kill all humans, being attacked by good mutants and dying or almost dying, only to reappear again later.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

Yeah about the only thing I remember about the X-Men came from the 90s cartoon. Always thought there was always too damn many of them to keep track of and really never understood why there was some vast hatred towards mutants when that world has a bunch of other superheroes running around with the exact same power.

I mean I get that mutants are born that way while the other super heroes acquired their powers through other means, but it’s hardly that much of a distinction when both of them are punching their way through a mountain with their fists.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

Since we got this thread and this conversation came up elsewhere, I figure I'll continue it here:

Bullseye once killed someone by spitting a loose tooth at someone's head. He's also killed people by throwing peanuts and toothpicks.

My question is, how the hell is this guy not considered to have any super powers? They keep saying he's just a normal guy that's just really skilled at being accurate.

Bullshit. Even by comic book standards this guy is doing some impossible shit for being a "normie." The guy is clearly super powered somehow.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

And he joins the list of all the other non superpowered comic book characters that still perform superhuman feats and no one questions that. It's the way of comics I guess.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

I guess, but someone like Tony Stark at least has technology to explain his abilities. Or Hawkeye is just a really skilled marksman with his bow. And several others are accomplished martial artists/combat experts/etc.

Yeah its stretching, but it's staying at least somewhat within reasonable limit of “normal” for the setting.

But when a guy like Bullseye is given stool softener in his prison food because he could potentially kill someone by throwing his hardened shit at them, the guy is definitely going beyond “Skilled normal.”

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

Agreed. I guess they want some characters to be more relatable? As normal? But what's the point if their feats are beyond human ability? DC has more realistic non-power people with Batman and such.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

You mean the guy who's so badass that he can jump straight down buildings and land on his feet without consequence, think ten times as fast as a normal human, hack things in alien script languages, bench press 5000 pounds, and breathe in the vacuum of outer fucking space?

I think there's more to batman than meets the eye here...

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

What is your favorite Marvel Hero. Not DC.

Batman will get a Ban Hammer. P.S. , if you didn't get the message yet, I love Ban Hammers.

Marvel Comics

7 years ago

Deadpool