Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

Eternal Fan Club

5 years ago

Who else here is a fan of Eternal by Endmaster?

Eternal Fan Club

5 years ago
Never heard of it.

Eternal Fan Club

5 years ago

It’s one of the top story games on this site (according to the ranking).

Eternal Fan Club

5 years ago
Oh it's that Endmaster guy. Seems vaguely familiar... he wrote a story about an orc or something, right? Or am I thinking about someone else?

Eternal Fan Club

5 years ago

That's all you can say about it?  How can you call this a fanclub when your only response to someone you believe to be living in ignorance is to say that it is high-ranked?  

You could have discussed the branches that widely vary while still remaining consistent.  You could have discussed the memorable and well-written characters.  You could have discussed the beautiful endings that all satisfy--until you remember there are more branches.  You could have discussed dark elf MILFs!  Eternal is a classic and a better story than earth deserves.  Nobody can do it justice, but you could have at least tried.  

Eternal Fan Club

5 years ago
Judging by the ratings and comments, a fuckload of people. Including me, of course. People who don't like it have no business being on CYS, or even being alive. EndMaster is the best and we should all praise him ... else he'll ban us. :)

Eternal Fan Club

5 years ago

I literally didn't work for three days in a row when I first discovered it.

Eternal Fan Club

5 years ago
How many of you have written Endmaster's name on your naval
in magic marker next to a drawing of a heart with 'Eternal' inside of it? That's the true test.

Eternal Fan Club

5 years ago

Apologies. I have only done that twice. I am not worthy

Eternal Fan Club

5 years ago

That would be very presumptuous and disrespectful to think that anyone here can put EndMaster's name on themselves.  

Eternal Fan Club

5 years ago

Pfft, you guys call yourselves fans? I found out where Endmaster lived, got on the first plane I could and even shoved the bottle of chloroform up my ass for the entire journey... Infact, you guys have me to thank for the entire Struggle branch. Originally, he was just going to stick with Beg or Die, but after I had a little chat with him and broke his ankles, I managed to convince him that giving the players the opportunity to boink Semra was absoutely essential to the story and I feel the game was greatly improved due to my contribution... I just called down to End in the basement, and he agrees. ^_^

Eternal Fan Club

5 years ago

So, is this your way of admitting that Semra is a hotter waifu than Rhode?  

Eternal Fan Club

5 years ago

What is everybody’s favorite paths? I personally really enjoy the shadow path

Eternal Fan Club

5 years ago

I love the struggle path

Eternal Fan Club

5 years ago
Same

Eternal Fan Club

5 years ago

Yeah. You really love that year 16 page with mistress

Eternal Fan Club

5 years ago

And also maybe that

Eternal Fan Club

5 years ago

Because I became a death god and became immortal

Eternal Fan Club

5 years ago
Mine would probably be Beg, especially the path in it where the protagonist becomes a mercenary and trains a young dark elf. He's about as nice as he can get in that one.

Eternal Fan Club

5 years ago

In the shadow path when you become a religious leader (not the assassin), you become kinder to others (I think)

Eternal Fan Club

5 years ago

Yey! Eternal Bane was my favourite path too ^_^

Eternal Fan Club

5 years ago
I like the one where you basically becomes an obergruppenfuhrer and lead gnomes into concentration camps, and in the end you go to cryosleep, make the new reich *coughs* new empire, a long time after the "main story" ends.

Not that I'm an asshole, really, but mainly because that's the path where you see most of the geopolitical events unfold and meet the most characters.

Eternal Fan Club

5 years ago

The struggle path has a lot of really cool battle moments.

Eternal Fan Club

5 years ago

AND YOU GET TO KILL MANY PEOPLES

Eternal Fan Club

5 years ago

I liked all of them, but the Beg path was probably my favorite.  Sure, Stuggle was definitely the most EPIC, but there were a lot of good moments in Beg that made it especially nice, as I read it last.  

Eternal Fan Club

5 years ago

So far the only worthwhile thing in this thread is Briar saying that she shoved a bottle of chloroform up her ass. 

Interestingly she didn’t even say she used it on me, just that she shoved it up her ass.

Going to just go with the idea that she kidnapped and broke my ankles Misery style all the while having a bottle of chloroform shoved up her ass.

Truly a dedicated fan.

Eternal Fan Club

5 years ago

And it's still there to this day. ^_^

Eternal Fan Club

5 years ago

Can we get a sequel? Or at least a spinoff?  I know Rogues kinda was a spinoff of sorts.  But we want more from you! 

Eternal Fan Club

5 years ago

Rogues was a sequel to Innkeeper with a very brief reference to a character in Eternal.

Eternal was a self contained story, doesn't need a sequel.

Arguably a spin off with Semra is about the only other character in that story where it could work. Though it would be a case of having to transport her to another world since the Eternal world is pretty much done with and I wasn't planning on doing any more with it.

Eternal Fan Club

5 years ago
That would be too X-rated for the site.

Eternal Fan Club

5 years ago
... Guess you could do a prequel... Could make for a really romantic love story ^_^

Eternal Fan Club

5 years ago

Eternally Love SICK

Eternal Fan Club

5 years ago

Nah, I'd have it go forward if I was going to do a story with her.

I'd probably start it with her escaping the dying the world with some of the dark elves after she realizes it is a lost cause and Francis The Eternal has long since accepted death and Azrail The Death God is going about purging the rest of the living.

(Yep, I'd go with that non-epilogue ending as "canon")

She'd escape to the world where Rogues takes place and probably start setting things up there. There aren't any "dark elves" there, but there are elves, so she'd probably try to figure out how to use them to her advantage.

Well, use anyone to her advantage really.

Eternal Fan Club

4 years ago

Is that actually the Eternal's name? I once spent a couple of hours (okay, maybe ten minutes) trying to find out. Not even Google knows.

While becoming the Death God's thrall was perhaps the epilogue I personally found least satisfying, the Allison alternative was definitely beautiful. I think I'm going to reread that path now that I know it's the most probable canon ending. I would definitely be eager to read a Semra sequel, as would a great many others I'm sure.

Apologies for the necro.

Eternal Fan Club

4 years ago
You might like Suzy's Strange Saga by EndMaster if you haven't read it.

Eternal Fan Club

4 years ago

I haven't played all of End's games, but that's largely because I often return to the same ones and replay them - Necromancer (the first I played, maybe in 2013/14), then Eternal and Ground Zero (can't quite remember which one was first), and then Death Song. I think I dabbled with Innkeeper and rather enjoyed it, but never completed it for one reason or another. So Innkeeper will likely be the one I get to next. Once I stop myself from drifting back to the aforementioned ones!

Eternal Fan Club

4 years ago
They're all really good. Have a favorite so far?

Eternal Fan Club

4 years ago

Necromancer is the first I played and will always occupy a special place. While there aren't as many endings as Eternal or Ground Zero, the story is satisfying, you care for the characters the Necromancer cares for, and really don't care for the ones he doesn't care for (doesn't mean they are undeveloped, but End does a very good job of getting you to completely take ownership of the character and feel immersed, even when you are not necessarily making any choices).

But I wouldn't say that makes Necromancer my favourite, as the characteristics I mention are common in pretty much every EndMaster game I've played. So I don't have a favourite, each game left me satisfied and yearning for more. Even Death Song's true ending, though by no means victorious or happy, was thoroughly satisfying. Many of the endings in the games gave me this feeling of catharsis, and that's one of the marks of a successful story for me. That being said, Eternal is the model and exemplar I refer to - and the inspiration - for the storygame I am currently writing.

Over the past month or so I've started exploring and actively rating other storygames on the site too, as my experience to date has been largely centred around these few games. I've currently got about fifteen tabs open with games I want to give a whirl. I'm starting to think it may be convenient to have a bookmark game button or some such.