Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Ford's MT

7 years ago
They say the first step to solving a problem is admitting you have one.

I've made pretty much 1% progress on all 15 - 20 storygames I currently have going. Less on some, more on some. I have the idea - pretty much all the way through to the end of every single one of them and down to the last detail but putting it into writing is what I have struggled to do for a very long time.

If I do it, I do it; if I don't, I dont.

Temporary Goal: 10 pages.

Rules:
-No messing with code.
-No messing with graphics
-10 solid pages of just writing.
-Keep all 10 pages within 5 storygames.
-Pick 2 pages to post in this thread as proof and a reminder to keep going.

I guess we'll find out how it goes after a while.

Ford's MT

7 years ago
If you ever need help feel free to ask Kiel.

Ford's MT

7 years ago

Kiel has not written more than a page in a day in a long time now. xD 

Ford's MT

7 years ago
Perfect. It'd be like two people who don't know Chinese trying to teach each other how to speak Chinese...

Ford's MT

7 years ago
Well then, in just 10 days Ford would reach his goal :P

Ford's MT

7 years ago

I would rather sit through a marathon of cancerous leafy and take a shot of bleach for the use of the word cancer than even try to use coding in a game. Stick with the code rule.

Ford's MT

7 years ago
It's been a week so just thought I'd give an update. I'm heading at a comfy pace of 0 pages per week (based on 1 week) and honestly the future looks just as bright as ever.

Current standing: 0/10
Goal: 10/10
Breakfast: Bagel/10

All this thinking about writing a page has really made me feel ahead of the curve. So far so good - and by the end of the week I might have 10x the amount of pages written so far!

Loving the support guys - I know I can do this. I've almost gotten so much done so far that I can nearly taste victory.

Ford's MT

7 years ago

Something I've been doing the past few weeks, probably to the dismay of some people, is randomly giving myself odd writing challenges. Things that pull me out of my comfort zone, to try something I wouldn't normally write. Rhyming, bad poetry, short stories on quirky topics, and such. Bad poetry is especially fun to write.

If you're not writing anything at all, I really recommend at least trying something small like that, unrelated to your projects, and seeing if you can get a little bit of anything down. 1 page of a standalone short story is better than 0 pages of nothing.

A full storygame is a big commitment, and it can definitely get tricky trying to organize thoughts enough to get anything down on paper. The hardest part, for me at least, is getting started with the first 20-30 pages. Once I finally get a rhythm going and better feel out the player character's interaction with the world I'm trying to build, then the writing starts flowing better.

Ford's MT

7 years ago

Pretend you're Fording, for a second. Now Ford about the thing you're writing. Don't let yourself off the tab or change windows until your page is done.

Ford's MT

7 years ago
hm. I never thought of that. That might actually work - I'll have to try that xD

Ford's MT

7 years ago
Just as an update: still 0 pages, still 0 progress. But I feel like I've been looking at the storygame titles for longer than usual so there's that which is somewhat progressive.

Ford's MT

7 years ago

Brad has storygames.

Just sayin'

Ford's MT

7 years ago

It's time to stop.

Ford's MT

7 years ago
boy you're asking for it.

i sware doggo - u do me 1 mor concern and I'll bamboozle u to heck and back

Ford's MT

7 years ago

Better progress than me m8.

Ford's MT

7 years ago

That's because you lack discipline

Ford's MT

7 years ago

>.>

Pls no thara

Ford's MT

7 years ago

Congrats End, you're a meme now.

Ford's MT

7 years ago

Meme? It's more like I'm adopting some of his mannerisms from talking with him so much. We even share matching titles now.

Ford's MT

7 years ago
that title is the cringiest thing I've seen all day; and I saw seto say he turned on rich text.

Ford's MT

7 years ago

It's not like I came up with the title, Ford xD

Ford's MT

7 years ago

I wish I was able to code.

Ford's MT

7 years ago

I could probably help you :)

Or at least I can point you in the right directions.

Ford's MT

7 years ago

Well, I mean, I know HOW to code, but I can't do it on a mobile device.

And if I need help with coding, I'll just ask Brad.

Ford's MT

7 years ago

It's not impossible to do on a mobile device. Seto does it actually, which is actually quite impressive to say the least.

Ford's MT

7 years ago

It's not recommended. Very hard to type, and very easy to mess up codes because of how small the words are on a phone screen.

Ford's MT

7 years ago
How's the ballad coming?

Ford's MT

7 years ago
better than any storygame of mine. I've written 3 (one terrible one) and I'm gonna extend 2 of them and choose one from those to enter.

I hope I can be happy with more than one so I can up the points.

Ford's MT

7 years ago
Good job. Glad to see you took it in stride. Hopefully, you are enjoying it and it carries over to your other projects.

Ford's MT

7 years ago

You've written three ballads?

I hope you fall in a hole and die.

Ford's MT

7 years ago
More like two and a terrible poem. Years of poetry club have prepared me for this moment.

Ford's MT

7 years ago

Oh, congrats ^-^

I have one, and it's terrible.