Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Orson Scott Card is mormon?

10 years ago

Orson Scott Card, authur of one of my favorite books, "Ender's Game", is mormon. 

10 years ago

... So? Just because he's from a certain religion, does that really make any difference?

10 years ago

No, not really... but I'm pretty sure "Speakers for the Dead" are supposed to represent mormons, and Ender is a speaker for the dead...

10 years ago

Ehh, don't stress yourself looking into it. A good book is a good book, what does it matter if it's based on mormons, if it's based on judaism, or if it's based on Buddhism.

10 years ago

You're right. 

10 years ago

Of course I am, I'm always right. I am. Like I said, don't look too much into it, it kind of ruins the enjoyment of the book itself.

10 years ago

Yes. I was reading a book about mormons....and the stuff they believe it kind of...freaky.

10 years ago

I could say the same about Christians. However, one can believe what they wish. At least, that's what I believe. If we keep arguing about conflicting arguments (In general, not just here), we'll never get anything constructive done. So you believe a god made the universe in 7 days. Go ahead, preach it, but don't force it on those who don't believe you or seem interested. It's the same with other religions. You can believe in a giant pink monkey with freckles for allI care, as long as you don'ttry to force the idea onme.

10 years ago

You believe in right or wrong?

Of course you do. Even if you say you don't, you do. If you steal something, that couldn't possibly be neutral, it would have to be wrong, right? If you hurt somebody, that couldn't possibly be neutral, right? You probably do, anyway.

But without a God, could there be a right or wrong? Anybody could do anything they wanted, and nobody would be able to tell the difference, because there wouldn't be right or wrong. And there's something inside us...that tells us what is right. But you think it just happened. It was just built inside of us, and somehow we knew what right or wrong was. 

I'm not trying to force you; you can believe me or not. 

10 years ago

Without a God, there could certainly be a right or wrong, it simply depends on the Perspective of the masses. The 'something inside us' varies depending on the way we're raised. There are murderers who honestly believe they did the right thing. So I ask you this: A mob lynches a black man back in KKK times (It's a sensitive topic, but one that's entirely relevant), and it's considered a good thing to many. If god gave us this 'something inside us', then he must be a prick, especially considering we break the seventh commandment every goddamn day, and many doing it feel that it's the right thing. Explain that. 

10 years ago

Honestly. When you steal (the seventh commandment), do you feel  "I shouldn't be doing this..." AT ALL? Or I could be mistaken...it could be just the ones with God that have that....

Explain this: If we were made by chance, since "we appeared out of nowhere", then we are also elements of chance, therefore you can't even trust your own thinking, or what you do. But we're smarter than that, aren't we?

10 years ago

I win? 

Of course not...

10 years ago

#GotCaughtUpInGameGrumps

I feel that, but that's just me, there are those who believe it good. Also, regarding the 'ones with God' comment, I say again: some of it depends on the way you were raised. If you were raised to believe stealing is okay, then you'l usually beieve it is until persuaded otherwise.

Simply because we were 'made by chance' does not mean we are elements of chance. If we were made by god, does that mean we are god, or elements of him. Because buildings were made by humans, does that make them humans themselves?

10 years ago

Oh, no, we didn't come from nowhere, there's all kinds of elements that get involved there, namely hydrogen and genetics, but of course, you don't believe in evolution, so it doesn't matter. Regardless, this isn't a duscussion about evolution now is it?

Now, humans have a built-in series of psychological mechanism that govern what we call morality. We can obey and disobey it as much as we want, but it's all relying on primal instinct and experiences, (I.E. how one feels about something based on what's happened to them, and the things they've been taught before).  You'll notice that these consicence-oriented decisions are pretty much absent in people with sociopathy, and so they can do pretty much anything they want without feeling bad about it later. But nevermind that. However, your statement that We're elements of chance and therefore he can't trust his own thinking is moot. The fact is, chance is a definite system, probability has a definite mechanism to it, (see Quantum Mechanics for details.) There's a mathematical order to pretty much everything under the sun and beyond. There's an order to it, and while we could be "beings of chance" it doesn't mean we're random in any sense of the word, it means there was a possibility for us to exist, and at one point that possibility was fulfilled.

10 years ago

What about chimps? Did God give them their sense of right and wrong?

10 years ago

The fact that we did those kinds of experiments and read about them so easily is wrong. They threatened to electrocute another chimp just so that one could eat. The things we do to animals is illegal and considered sick when done to humans.

10 years ago

"Shock" and "electrocute" are not synonymous. And yes, we also do things like kill and eat animals, which is generally frowned upon when it comes to humans. ;P

10 years ago

Two soon to be adults and one adult vs. one just turned thirteen two days ago?

Morgan, isn't that just their heard instinct? 

Sentine, doesn't prove anything.

10 years ago

*shrug* You seemed to want to argue. But I'll wish you a belated happy birthday, and bow out.

10 years ago

It does, it shows that your statement that we're beings of chance probably wasn't what you think it was, and was therefore wrong. Besides, at that point I was merely contributing facts, not really arguing. Besides, what is it if 3 people dissagree with you?

10 years ago

It means 3 people are atheists (though I think you're agnostic, but I think you get my point) :P

It also means that CMitchell is once again showing how some religious people are really ridiculously stubborn and uneducated, but this is nothing new :P

10 years ago

I'm an Chuckologist extremely lax secular humanist.

10 years ago

(Then you should talk to Aeon haha)

Aka, rejects religion and/or God. (Pretty sure) :P

10 years ago

I've heard more stories of chimpanzees ripping people's faces off XD

10 years ago

... And now I've got this song stuck in my head cheeky

10 years ago

I usually get Hasa Diga Eebowai stuck in my head from that musical.

10 years ago

Yey! I've never heard such a happy song about poverty and AIDS cheeky

10 years ago

Tan, atheism is a religion. type in religion on dictionary.com. Definition #1. Atheists are stubborn!

10 years ago

Bwahahahaha! Tan is Jewish!

10 years ago

Arguable. Very arguable :P

But as I said, not all religious types are stubborn and uneducated, but you are certainly representing those [uneducated] ones.

10 years ago

Tan is of the same blood as William Shatner, Adam Sandler, Bob Dylan, and Jon Stewart! You will respect the Jews!

10 years ago

Meh, I always figured that for a set of beliefs to be called a "religion" they'd have to believe in a God or multiple Gods... Which would mean that Buddhism wasn't a religion either, which is kinda weird, but what you gonna do? cheeky

10 years ago

I always figured Religion was another word for a Code, Values, Tenets, ect... You agree to keep yourself limited within certain rules regardless of whether or not you believe in a God or several gods.

10 years ago

Tan's a Jewish atheist!

10 years ago

No I'm not lol :P (I'm practically Breslov Hareidi haha). Orthodox actually.

10 years ago

You fucking retard... Jewish atheist is an oxymoron, and Y U NO Use threded view!?

10 years ago

You could be a Jew and be an atheist :P (Judaism is a thing you're born into, though some Jews don't necessarily 'practice' it)

10 years ago

I'm off this site. Bye all!

10 years ago

But... It just sounds so silly!

10 years ago

OMG OMG OMG Jews aren't a race you Khazar Askhe-NAZI! OMG OMG OMG
/retard mode off

Yeah, that's a given. Why would anyone think otherwise? Though Jews who don't practise Judaism get assimulated fast... WITH ONLY THEIR JEW NOSE GIVING AWAY THEIR DNA! (soz, had to do it)

10 years ago

Heh, I'm actually a hybrid of Sephardic and Ashkenaz origin ^_^

Yeah, it's an issue that I personally think most religious circles aren't taking care of properly.  Still, while the many assimilated Jews are converting, the super orthodox have 12 kids each haha.

10 years ago

I'm a hybrid myself of Old and A.Minor Greek. 

Well, I for one welcome the total extinction of the Jewish race, as started by our benevolent Fuhrer. (not really)

Anyway, do you live in Israel or USA?

10 years ago
Cool.

Born in US, left to Israel for 3 years or-so, moved back to US.

10 years ago

Yeap, all aboard the hybrid master race!

Why would you go to Israel?

10 years ago

My Mom's israelli, and all of my family's religious relatives are there. Was more of a parent-decision than 3 year-old mine's XD

But then you realize that education was a problem, as well as that Rheumatologists don't make nearly as much money there than here.

10 years ago

I eez raelizzze too late

10 years ago

Religious relatives?

10 years ago

Relatives that are orthodox/religious, opposed to my relatives who aren't 'practicing'/religious in the states :P

10 years ago

Which book was that?

10 years ago

The Twilight books too...

10 years ago

And Windwalker (though that's a really old reference)...

10 years ago

Your context has been lost. Please explain zis to me...

10 years ago

Yeah... he's also a giant homophobic bigot...

10 years ago

How so?

10 years ago

I'm guessing he's referring to Orson being opposed to gay marriage.

10 years ago

Guy has a religious opinion that may be found offensive to others = fossilized bigot.

Brilliant.