Non-threaded

Forums » The Parlor Room » Read Thread

Questions about a storygame? Thoughts on Eternal? Any other IF you're playing out there?

New quality games?

9 years ago

How come MOST of the new story games that are published lack quality? I'm not trying to be rude are anything but it seems like the new games are rushed and little to no thoughts are put into them. Is anybody working on a story that will be a classic or a hit? Cause the stuff that's getting put out lately is just yikes lol. No offense but it's true.

New quality games?

9 years ago

There are a few of us that are actually working on a good story, unlike those that post crap, we actually have to put time into it. If you look at the profiles of these crappy story making authors, they haven't been here very long and generally post the story within a week of them being here.

Anyway, we have quite a few stories on this site that are anticipated. For me, I'm most eagerly awaiting the release of Briar_Rose's Price of Freedom story.

New quality games?

9 years ago

Who's in the process of making that game?

New quality games?

9 years ago

I just said Briar Rose is. Not the Sleeping Beauty but the user on this site.

EDIT: My mistake, Briar Rose's "Price of Freedom" story. fixed.

New quality games?

9 years ago

Because most people suck at writing.

New quality games?

9 years ago
I agree, 90% of all new storygames created in recent months have been complete piles of crap. Most of the good writers take time to work, and stories that will be classics and hits and amazing take a long time to write (99% of the time anyways *cough OMS cough*). So the answer is yes, many people are writing very amazing storygames - but they aren't finished because writing takes a while when your out of creative juice to suck out from the tit of imaginationdrink.

New quality games?

9 years ago

It can take a really really long time to write a good story. I can personally testify to this. 

New quality games?

9 years ago

It's nothing new! Old games are just as bad, but you probably only play the good ones from way back when.

New quality games?

9 years ago

I believe the issue is that the site is always having new very short rally games put up, and several slightly longer games that have some merit but don't come near the level of the great games of old. The problem is that the best games just take a really longtime to write so by the time a great new game is released you've only seen the weeks of crappy ones.

so basically new great games are being worked on but while waiting the months or years it takes to write toes all you see is the spam that gets published.

New quality games?

9 years ago

I'm working on a story game that will have quality, but it will take a while. It (hopefully) won't take too long. It'll be my first story game, but I'm hoping to get my reputation up with it. I have a Co-author to, so it won't take that long. If you want a sample of my work, then go to the really long post I made on this thread. This was before I got a Co-author to help me write it and suggest his his own ideas.

New quality games?

9 years ago

I will review your story into Oblivion!

New quality games?

9 years ago

What? Isn't that the game before Skyrim? I'm confused now.

New quality games?

9 years ago

Yes, it's a pun.  Don't think too hard before you lose all your social skills.

New quality games?

9 years ago

I don't get how it's a pun, and what do you mean 'Don't think too hard before you lose all your social skills.'?

New quality games?

9 years ago

Anyway, I thought you deleated your story.

New quality games?

9 years ago

I was joking. >.<

New quality games?

9 years ago

@GinzeeN this belongs in the parlor room

New quality games?

9 years ago

I was going give a lengthy post on how people who put little to no work into a storygame can easily be more prolific than those that put tons on effort into a storygame. However, my example which included a creative example of a couple of pages of both types disappeared when my computer thought it would be a good idea to try to shut down without telling me. I spent almost an hour typing up the example of the storygame with tons of effort put into it and was still not finished. The little effort example took about three minutes to type up. Most of that was trying to mimic the lack of effort that comes from not even attempting to use proper spell or grammar. 

New quality games?

9 years ago

To give my two cents, pointing out something completely obvious in a site is a GREAT way to start a conversation here, but like Triple-J said, it's nothing new.

If bestsellers, out of THOUSANDS of concepts, come out only once every few years, you can use some very, very, VERY rare common-sense and say that if there's around 20 or so authors in the middle of creating a storygame, then there probably won't be any guarantee that a SINGLE storygame will be above garbage level for the iteration.

Now have four more cents.

"How come MOST of the new story games that are published lack quality?"

Your question to was answered by you right after you asked.

"I'm not trying to be rude are anything but it seems like the new games are rushed and little to no thoughts are put into them."

Oh, you don't say?

"Is anybody working on a story that will be a classic or a hit?"

It pays to go to the Writing Workshop.  On top of that, nothing is GUARANTEED to be a classic or a hit.  Just good concepts that MIGHT or might not be fulfilled to their full potential.

"Cause the stuff that's getting put out lately is just yikes lol. No offense but it's true."

Oh, you DON'T SAY?

New quality games?

9 years ago

Simple explanation: Everyone worth a damn is off writing much longer, bigger projects, while the idiots are off playing pretend. Pretending to be good writers, pretending to be people of thought. It takes a lot more time to make something good than it does to make a shit sandwich that barely meets site standards.