Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

hi

8 years ago

Hi all you unaeaxefs! I'm igulat. I created my own language that is only known by me, and I'm not telling any of you what igulat or unaeaxef means.

hi

8 years ago

If you are the only person who knows the language then what is the point of it? Nice to meet you and I hope you enjoy CYS.

hi

8 years ago

Well, sometimes i use it to insult people without them realizing it.

hi

8 years ago

Do you see any insult in my language?

hi

8 years ago

caysdf fsadf asdfcvxzy oweragb; asdf sadfa sfd hlgafvbail osadufhsaf asdofuwefw sadfl;.

hi

8 years ago

Ah, Etaoin Shrdlu. One of my favorite languages.

hi

8 years ago

The point of having a language is connecting with others, communicating clearly, and finding common ground--which is why I've never really seen the point of having your own and not sharing its meaning with anyone else. I could understand sharing with a friend or other confidant exclusively, but ... well, it's kinda like comedy, it isn't as fun if you're the only one who gets the joke.

That said, welcome to CYS. Check out the Help & Info section's articles if you haven't already, they're very informative. If you'd like to put your creativity through a vigorous warm-up before starting a story of your own (or just for kicks) I invite you to join the writing exercises I'm hosting in the writing workshop. PM me if you'd like to be added to the tag and scoring list to complete exercises in a timely manner and earn CYS points, but otherwise, people are free to post whenever. 

hi

8 years ago

Well, that's mainly the point of a natural language. Constructed languages are sorta for the fun of making them.

hi

8 years ago

I mean, as far as science is concerned and how language functions in our society on an evolutionary level... (granted, considering I strongly disagree with some of those scientists, I suppose I'm not the best person to make a discussion of it.)

I suppose so, but is it really fun to make something only you understand? :| To each their own, though. I'm not condemning, I just don't personally find it appealing.

hi

8 years ago

Constructing languages is fun because you think about language in ways you ordinarily don't.  What function do pronouns serve? Do you really need definite and indefinite articles? Do you even need articles at all?

In another sense, it's like a puzzle. You're not just throwing random letters together and saying it means something, you're playing with etymology, grammar, etc.

hi

8 years ago

... But that's not the part I'm having trouble with, Seth. I understand why constructing a language would be fun, I've tried it. I just don't understand when people insist on not sharing its meaning with anyone. If I'm going to go to that kind of trouble... I don't see why I wouldn't want to share my work with someone else.

hi

8 years ago

I can see the appeal of that sort of exclusivity, to have something that feels like it's truly your own. I mean, it can be great to share, but when someone spends their time and effort on something, it's their decision whether they want to. Plus, sharing something as possibly complex as a language can be a fair amount of effort on its own.

hi

8 years ago

I suppose, but limiting such a big project's use to "Haaa, you don't understand me" seems a bit silly.

hi

8 years ago

Well yeah, some ppl enjoy "I know something you don't know" 

can it really be a language if one can't use it to communicate?

hi

8 years ago

... Clarifying: You're saying if no one else knows what it means, it's not a language?

hi

8 years ago
Eh, well. If one wishes to display one's smug self-satisfaction, I'd call that a form of communication. Not much good for conversation per se, though.

Similarly, our conversation is now informing this noob that we're not super impressed... even though you and I are talking to each other, and not to them. 9_9

In fact, I'm probably treading dangerously close to that "wrong on the internet" game I'm trying not to play... sigh. Sorry, new person. Do your weirdo thing. Have your own weird fun. ;P

hi

8 years ago
Personally, I see no point in making your own language unless you're doing it for your story's universe. However, it would be too long and time wasting for that, so you'd better use real languages for your stories.

Welcome aboard.

hi

8 years ago

Welcome!

hi

8 years ago
Welcome, dnirf!

"Guess what I mean" really is a classic game. ;)

hi

8 years ago

That's OK, they got hundreds of other non-made-up languages that I don't understand either.

Kwo lukuin bwe bwe haha! XD

hi

8 years ago

Very creative. With that of creativity, you should do well here if not ok.

Welcome to C.Y.S.

hi

8 years ago

Woldum du C.Y.S. 

Again, you might want to share your language with some people. A language is better if more than one person can decode it.

hi

8 years ago
Solitaire is definitely a weird variant...

hi

8 years ago
Hi there yourself, and welcome to the site!

hi

8 years ago
Welcome, igulat, you unaeaxef!  No offense.  ;)

hi

8 years ago

That’s okay, I can use my own imagination on what igulat means.

For example, if you turn out to be an okay person on the site, I can imagine that igulat means something positive. If you turn out to be not so great, well I can imagine that igulat means something fairly negative.

And since words can mean different things to different people, I won’t be wrong. For example, the word cunt is considered a fairly insulting term in the U.S., but in the U.K. it’s just another way of greeting a friend!

hi

8 years ago

Hahaha I thought that was more Australia than Britain.

EDIT: Maybe I just live a sheltered life.

hi

8 years ago
I'm offended that'd you consider it more Australian than British, cunt.

#ProudBrit