Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Are you left or right (politically)?

8 years ago

Are you left leaning or right (politically)? Left is progressive, right is conservative. 

I am a progressive. 

8 years ago

Left isn't always progressive, as much as they like to think so.

8 years ago

Except for the fact that progressive means "favoring or implementing social reform, and new, liberal ideas". 

8 years ago

I meant practically, not politically.

8 years ago

Find a better word, because you obviously don't know what "progressive" means. 

8 years ago

Gonna back Swift on this. Left is NOT a straight-up synonym for progressive, where I'm from.

8 years ago

pro·gres·sive

adjective

(of a group, person or idea) favoring or implementing social reform, or new, liberal ideas. 

8 years ago

Again, I mean practically.

Think of Wilson's policies.  At the time, it was progressive to think segregation was justified based on racial superiority.  Relative to now, not quite so much.  Get this, though : there was a point in time where colored folks did share things with whites prior to Jim Crow.  And that was ousted by the following generation after the Civil War.

But, by the means of progress, that was implemented by the lefties of the time.  And what a way to progress the nation into the best union of peoples the world would have seen, wasn't it?  Years of strikes, riots, and complaints from one citizen to another...yup, totally progressive...

I could suppose Communism was a sort of lefty notion, too, considering the premise was for the people, by the people.  Not like anyone but the man himself intended to let it transform into a dictatorship.

That's why I'm not so fond of equating liberals as progressive thinkers.  A lot of well-meaning policies may have hindered mankind's progress as a species, and one man's progress now is only relative to his era.

Hell, even the Progressive movement can only go so far before going beyond what's pragmatic for a massive nation, in terms of costs vs. safety and satisfaction.

8 years ago

8 years ago
"Ideology: progressive conservatism"

...I give up.

8 years ago
Back here they usually divide the political parties in a very handy graphical chart with left/right on the x axis and progressive/conservative on the y axis. It is true that most political parties end up either left and progressive, right and conservative or somewhere in the middle, but that doesn't apply to everyone's beliefs.

8 years ago

Where does minarchy fall?

...asking for a friend. ;)

8 years ago

I think that might be a completely different axis.

8 years ago

Yep. And I suspect that as the resident 3D graphics pro, if I want that graphed, I'll have to do it myself. Which, um, I really don't. And not just because I'm lazy. That way lies information overload, at least for me.

You're full-time Dvorak? I'm technically bi-keyboardal, though it's been long enough that I'd be pretty slow, I suspect...

8 years ago

Ah, actually no. I'm on my iPad a fair bit of the time and as far as I know, there's no good software solution for using Dvorak on iOS.

8 years ago

Oh, that makes sense. I mean, as much as anything in this weird ecosystem of computing does.

8 years ago
We'll have some sort of polygon if we keep adding axises. Axi?

8 years ago

Axes, bruh.

8 years ago
Right. I totally knew that.

8 years ago

Try this: https://www.politicalcompass.org/test

8 years ago

[citation needed]

8 years ago

Page 11, on Kentucky streetcar desegregation. Then you can look up on your own 1902 resegregation laws in Kentucky.

If you check the dates, you'll see that this segregation trend spreads North, during the term of President Wilson. Wilson is known well as a Democrat, which means leftie.

8 years ago

I find myself leaning more towards the Left in these things, though I'm not satisfied with anything that happens in the U.S. government - which is barely even a democracy anymore and quickly becoming an oligarchy.

8 years ago

How about everyone sucks?

8 years ago

That's a shitty attitude, and an ill-informed one. It reeks of "DAE LE POLITICANS AMIRIGHT GAIS?"

8 years ago

Ill informed? I've read up on all of the candidates each year that have any chance of winning (I.E. The ones that a voter base has actually heard of because they get media coverage) and they hasn't ever been an option that wasn't shitty since maybe Bush and Whatshisface, and maybe not even then, but that was just the first election where I was capable of figuring out what was happening. Your post is ill-informed. It reeks of "I AM MAELKLACK AND THAT IZ NOT TEH COREKT OPINYIN!"

8 years ago

Green-Rainbow!

(This is a real party in Massachusetts. XD)

8 years ago

Aw, you've got the fun parties. 

8 years ago

Haha, yeah. They don't stand much of a chance, even locally, but... well, it's not impossible that they'll gain real traction this election.

8 years ago
I'm right handed :D

8 years ago
I'm left-handed :D

8 years ago

I'm a four-armed spider demon! ;D

8 years ago
I'm always right, which means I'm left.
I feel the rights should be left in the past where they belong and were most happy.  ;P

8 years ago

Dont think it's that black and white, ha ha. Definitely fiscally conservative, used to say I'm very liberal socially, dunno if I can say that anymore.

8 years ago

I'm on the middle ground, mainly because I'm too young to decide or really care, but as Aman said it's not that black and white. 

8 years ago

It is way more complicated than that. 

8 years ago

I'm pretty left-wing, progressive and liberal myself. 

8 years ago

I am more of a centrist. The far right are a bunch of religious zealots and the far left is made up of a bunch of SJW "First world problem" crybabies.

8 years ago

I don’t think there are many conservative types on here. Most are ranging from center to far left.