Non-threaded

Forums » Writing Workshop » Read Thread

Find proofreaders here, useful resources, and share opinions and advice on story crafting.

Quirky Character Questions! @_@

7 years ago

So, when you're making a character for a story game, role play, script, or generally any written work, you want that character as fleshed out and distinguished as possible; and I'm not talking about making them suffer blindness or have dicks for fingers like a hack. Those are gimmicks, not defining character traits. Obviously it depends on the story you're composing, but the majority of the time writers give their protagonist a disability and tend to think they struck a creative gold vein.
Anyways,  A fun exercise I've started doing when drafting a character sheet is to include a set of quirky or specific questions about them. They don't need to be important to the story, or even mentioned at all,  but it helps to develop an understanding about the person you're basically fabricating from thin air. Here are some that I've used in the past ^__^ ;

How do they take their steak, if at all?

What's their favorite movie?

Do they have any fears or phobias?

Do they have any scars or marks on their body?

These questions will likely differ depending on the world your story in set in. Futuristic dystopia, Vietnamese civil war etc. What are some questions you guys have used or think would work well? Are there any other exercises or things you try to make your character feel more realistic? :)

7 years ago

The one most important question you can ask is "Why?" Or, if you like to add a little flair to your prewriting, "WHY THE FUCK!?"

I've written more shit by asking "Why?" than I ever did by asking any specific question.

7 years ago
Agreed. There should be a reason that Sir Reginald the Orc Slayer, most fearsome knight in the kingdom, has an unrivaled fear of chocolate pudding.

7 years ago

It's probably because it was interfering with his battle against evil as he tried to spread the word of sporks.

7 years ago

Man, fuck sporks.

7 years ago

Fuck you.

7 years ago

Fuck yoooou.

7 years ago

I believe its implied that you should KNOW why the answer to your question is what it is, otherwise why would you be writing it? You bring up a good point though, one that should be mentioned haha. It's all about gaining a sense of the characters experiences and mentality; I tend to think of it like a digestible autobiography.

Edit: Sporks are fucking terrible. They don't spoon well, and they don't fork well!

7 years ago

"Why?" without a pre-prepared answer is actually pretty useful for filling in plot holes before they appear, and making sure to flesh out things in any character or setting before continuing to build out-

Wait... You thought they were for eating with? Someone hasn't been asking "Why?" enough.

7 years ago

It's also by far the most annoying question if you've ever dealt with children or retards.

7 years ago

*Distant maniacal laughter*

Character Realism

7 years ago
Avoiding an author insert or becoming too emotionally attached to a character is the first big step to realism, in my opinion. That and understanding how people actually talk, interact and function in the type of society or culture or time period you're dealing with.

But the author should do whatever he needs to understand who a character really is before writing. Sometimes this involves establishing a backstory, lineage, etc.

7 years ago

Quirks work better if you show them to the reader rather than tell.

Here’s a good example of a harmless quirk.

So you’ve got a protagonist, let’s call him Gerald.

Gerald goes with his mom to see the newest Star Wars movie. They’re like really into it because they’re all nerds and shit. He dresses up like Luke and she dresses up like Padme and they generally laugh and have a good time watching rebels get killed and Darth Vader cutting down some scrubs.

Anyway so when they get home they talk about more Star Wars shit, because like I said they’re nerds like that. While they’re laugh and joking and generally getting excited about this shit, the mother playfully pushes Gerald in the arm, and then Gerald pushes his mom back, but he misses her arm and touches her tits instead.

There’s a bit of awkwardness at first, but then they just laugh like retards because it was an accident and hey it’s just tits right?

Anyway so Gerald’s mom cranks up the laughter by accidentally rubbing his crotch, then he accidentally kisses her with tongue.

“Ha ha ha ha, you’re making out with your mom, you basement dwelling freak!” she laughs.
“Ha ha ha ha, you’re sucking your son’s dick, you degenerate whore!” Gerald responds pushing her head lower.

And before you can say Lannister family reunion, you have just given your readers a good example of how quirky your protagonist is.

Hope this was helpful.

7 years ago
Make this a CYOA. 3J and Steve can argue over whether they should have been Star Wars fans or not.

7 years ago

Hahahahahaha.

Meanwhile Malk will be furiously masturbating in the corner.

7 years ago

7 years ago

Considering the events of the day, that was a risky click. I'm glad I didn't have to ban you ;)

7 years ago
lolololol

7 years ago

The Questions can be quirky but what's important is they reveal something.Gerald is a corndog for his mom, because they have a close, almost friend-like relationship. If I was working backwards and wanted to make a question for this, it would probably be...

Which family member is Gerald closest to?

His Mom, because while his father went out and slept with bar waitresses every night, Gerald and his mom would watch the star wars movies and work on their cosplay outfits together.

7 years ago

"Gerald and his mom would watch the star wars movies and work on their cosplay outfits together."

Well hell, that made it sound positively romantic. Good job at taking this advice to the next level! yes

7 years ago

And I thought the whole Luke and Princess Leia thing was bad.

7 years ago
Oh, that's clever. I like that.

7 years ago

Fuck...

I'm hard...

7 years ago
I wouldn't go as far as creating a list of random questions or anything, but you should be able to take any action the character does and explain why. If the best answer you can come up with is because 'it's needed for the plot' then either the plot needs work, or the character does.

7 years ago

I don't see how having a scar portrays any character at all. Next to everyone on the planet has or will get a scar or bruise/mark.

7 years ago

But it could be unique, like a birthmark in the shape of the Big Dipper.

7 years ago

Is that fucking Gravity Falls?

7 years ago

....It's a star. A very famous star.

7 years ago

In Gravity Falls the TV show, the main character has a birthmark of the big dipper.

7 years ago
It's not the scar, it's how you got it. It's used as a springboard to help the author determine something about the character's life or backstory and helps flesh them out. Also, for the reason you just stated, it adds realism when mentioned in the story at the right moment. Most people don't have the flawless skin of a Disney princess.

7 years ago
The Nazis were big on the facial scars for some reason - even going as far as to inflict their own.