Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Hello There :)

3 years ago

Hi everyone! My name is Aurelius (our-eel-e-us) or Aure (or-ee) for short. I have loved "choose your own adventure" stories since I was little and have been reading more of them again. Once I found this website I was elated. Maybe once summer break begins and I have completed my college finals I will dip my toes into writing my own? It is something I would like to learn how to do. Besides that I have a long history with roleplay writing and I enjoy reading every day. I have dipped my toes into writing my own fan fiction and comics as well- though I don't claim to be the most amazing writer ever haha. Regardless, I am excited to experience more people's work here on this website. 

Hope everyone has a good day :)

- Aure 

3 years ago

Well, you might lack a few of the problems that noobs generally seem to have.

Happy to hear you would like to start writing. If you want a feel for what people generally and their expectations like I would read through of the top rated storygames. 

Being able to engage in roleplay writing I guess should help you seamlessly shift into the perspective of various characters without getting too caught up in it, which is good.

Do you have any story ideas in mind?

3 years ago

Writing fantasy stories with lots of worldbuilding is something I really enjoy, as well as writing conversations between characters. So I will probably write something that plays to those strengths. I will start small of course, because I'm new to it and don't want to overwhelm myself. But a story where you can go on some kind of quest of some kind, would be a good place for me to start. I understand that on its own probably doesn't sound very interesting haha. 

I have always been interested in different fantasy creatures so I would like to create characters that aren't human too. A centaur, satyr, seomthig akin to that.

3 years ago

Starting small is always a good idea

Especially until you get used to the editor and whatnot.

If you want to start really small Mizal is hosting a 2250 word utopia storygame themed writing jam. No clue where the thread is to link your story to tho as I don't pay THAT much attention.

But you should try it out for the heck of it.

3 years ago
So are you another Roman togaboo, or another Potter fanboy?

3 years ago

Um hello, I don't know what a Roman togaboo is.. and while I do enjoy the Harry Potter franchise to some extent, it's far from my favorite. :)

3 years ago
And yet you have that name.

3 years ago

Is there something wrong with my name..?

3 years ago

Nothing. Aurelian is the name of a Roman Emporer. Aurelius is a Latin deviation from that. If you picked that name you're either into Harry Potter because that name popped up there. Or super into Roman history. There are other options like it's your real first name or you just pulled a name from your subconscience and it happened to infer that you were an heir to the throne of Rome.

3 years ago

Truthfully my name came from neither of those places haha. I have an affinity for unique and sometimes odd sounding names and this name I simply liked the sound of. That's why I chose it and like it for myself. Honestly I don't remember where I even found it. But it was not as "cringy" as naming myself after something. Though really I don't see any harm in that if it was the case. Simply I just like the name! 

3 years ago
Go look it up, Marcus Aurelius was the last one of the five good emperors before the roman empire stagnated and crumbled in its own petrid decadence. He was a pretty good philosopher, part of the stoic movement, and wrote a good book about that. A book that is still relevant 2000 years later:

Meditations, which nowadays has a freely available audiobook recording, perfect for the daily commute.

If you picked the name at pure random, you chose one of good stock. Also naming yourself after something is far from cringy, it's usually a sign of respect.

3 years ago

Wow that's pretty interesting stuff! I didn't know the name held any such significance but that's pretty fascinating. I was interested in Greek mythology and culture when I was a kid but I never learned much about Rome. Thanks for informing me. I guess I was lucky to take on such a name!

3 years ago
Welcome to the site. I do hope you enjoy your time here.

3 years ago

Thank you!

3 years ago

Welcome to the site! Are you a reader or just a writer?

3 years ago

Hi there, at the moment I am only reading and familiarizing myself with the works on this site. But in the future I want to write my own stories.

3 years ago

Outstanding! We need lots of readers and reviewers. Make sure to leave a rating and a constructive review at the end of anything you finish reading.

If you like fantasy I'd suggest you read Necromancer, followed by Death's Song, followed by Eternal. You'll at least be able to get the big Easter eggs in those.

http://chooseyourstory.com/story/necromancer

http://chooseyourstory.com/story/death-song

http://chooseyourstory.com/story/eternal

If you like horror this one here's worth a look. It takes a few things you might be familiar with and makes them funny/creepy.

http://chooseyourstory.com/story/Disney~2b-and-Thrust

If you'd care for a mystery romance this one is my favorite that I've read from the site so far.

http://chooseyourstory.com/story/edithe-zilonis

Enjoy the site. There's plenty to read all of varying qualities. Remember to rate and review them!

3 years ago
Reading is great, we need more people that actually do that. Be sure to rate the stories, and if you take a minute to leave comments too, you'll quickly become popular around here.

If you find a story that doesn't have three featured comments yet (or has tiny useless ones from back when Sethaniel was featuring them and had no standards) them writing a detailed review is an easy way to get commendations.

3 years ago
Hello then~