Non-threaded

Forums » The Lounge » Read Thread

A place to sit back, hang out, and make monkey noises about anything you'd like.

Shoot up the school - based category

3 years ago
Guys, these games are just bad. I know you all hate them as much as I do. There's a pathetic 50 games in that category and literally half of them are rated under 4/8. And even a lot of those are only rated THAT high because they're old and from a time no one had standards. There has been growing support among the people who matter for Killa to just axe that whole section and put something else there, like family friendly games or a second fantasy category. If you guys went in and rated the low effort ones on the bottom half of the list and some of them just happened to wind up low enough to remove, there'd be even less reason to keep that category around. Most of these games are short and can be gotten through in a matter of minutes, even if you're an overachiever who will actually read them.

3 years ago
Oh. Actually, this call to arms may have been unnecessary. End just went in with an assault rifle...

3 years ago
There are still some survivors.

3 years ago

I've culled enough to fall under the 40 mark, but others can feel free to mop up survivors.

3 years ago
Here it goes my only chance of having a game featured. So big F for me. Basically, no one that is not a great writer has a chance nowadays to be noticed Maybe we need a noob category or a mediocre category. Due It is very discouraging know that no matter how hard you work you will never be featured because you are not Berka or Endmaster.

3 years ago
Featured stories are the very best the site has to offer, it's not supposed to be easy or fair or some kind of participation ribbon. That page exists as a convenience for the sake of readers, it's not really about the authors and most will never have one. There's still the new category and then the most in need list on the front page that will give each story a chance for attention, even if we're assuming no one is capable of browsing around in a category that interests them.

Getting 'noticed' is a completely different thing, in fact I'm pretty sure that you and others who are active in other ways besides writing have more people paying attention to you than many of the actual featured authors get.

3 years ago
I suppose you are right, sniff. Still, it is sad for me that there won't be a category I could get enough good at it. But it is fair for the readers. Crying...

3 years ago
Something being in a mediocre cstrgory seems like something to never read ever.

3 years ago
Basically, what It happens now, nobody reads anything except features stories anyway. But maybe have something that a new writer could aspire to achieve could make more people to write.

3 years ago

No need to mop up the survivors, I've already saved the day.

3 years ago
It's beautiful. Just what I've always wanted.

3 years ago
Legend

3 years ago
Huh... Yeah, it seems just as well to get rid of them. But what should we replace the category with? I don't think there's any reason to have more than one of the same category, so two Fantasy don't make sense for example.

If it's not stand-alone enough of a category, then we should just remove the space entirely.

Maybe a Non-English category (if there are enough games to support it)?

Or Historical?

3 years ago

Didn't someone suggest a shrine to Endmaster awhile back?

3 years ago

That's what Killa's doing and I'll put all my stories in there. It'll free up several Fantasy positions, a couple of SciFi and a Modern and Horror one.

Also not all the school stories were actually unpublished, just the really low rated ones. The higher rated ones were placed in other categories and in case of the featured ones, some kept their featured position in another category.

3 years ago
While calling it the "EndMaster Shrine" is a bit too on-the-nose... Maybe having a Legendary or Epic Category is a good idea?

Put Games in there, that have held the top featured position in each Category for more than a year or the like. This way, every year, a Featured Game spot will automatically open in each Category.

Might consider even a Featured Category all in itself, though that might make the top games category a bit redundant...

3 years ago
'Eternal Legends?'

3 years ago

Well here's an idea. Remember that article Mizal wrote, "a list of storygames for people who like to read"? Maybe do something like that where admins handpick stories that aren't quite good enough to make the featured list, but still good enough to deserve some recognition. That would avoid the redundancy of having just another featured category.

Or instead of handpicking them, just shove all the stuff with commendations in there.  

3 years ago

I am amused that "Daemonologists" found its way to the Love & Dating category.

3 years ago

Lol that somehow it's featured in Love and Dating too when I wrote it to scam the system and get a story featured in the easiest category

3 years ago

That was my former planned strategy as well, for once my time freed back up and I was no longer dealing with a mouse apocalypse - write a school story to take advantage of the lower threshold for a featured game. ;) 

3 years ago
Well, I suppose this strategy could work with the new category that they bring in to replace it. As soon as it comes out, I'm going to work as hard as I can to get my story featured in the EndMaster category! ^_^

3 years ago
Originally I was thinking something like Non Traditional Fantasy, which is kinda vague but just different enough. But I can't say I'd object to an Endmaster shrine, it would serve the same purpose of freeing up slots for others, and even more than originally planned.

If Killa can add new categories easily and not just repurpose them, Historical and Family Friendly in addition to that would be the obvious new ones I'd think.

I'm not sure if we have enough games for a non English category, but it's something to consider and may be a good way to attract more people to the site if we start getting more....I've been seeing French games popping up and I'm aware of at least one site for French CYOAs, so there's definitely a community there.

3 years ago
Categories are all going to be modifications in the database. As far as effort goes it shouldn't be too big a deal to add new ones.

Non-english feels more like a tag than an entire category.

TBH I've never understood everyone's hate boner on School-Based category, but its not something I'm strongly for keeping.

3 years ago

There's a French Harry Potter game I've been slowly playing through with Google translate.  Finali Incantatum

I haven't finished it, but so far I'd give it a 7. Also, I find it amusing that the magical solution to kids suffering nightmares is to hire a random teacher to mind-edit them. (It's a little like Dreamtruder in that aspect, using clues to deduce what the best course of action is to fix the mind.) I'm not sure if the mechanic repeats in the game, but it was cool.

3 years ago

If I recall correctly, 3J was telling us last year that messing around with the categories was one of the most labor-intensive tasks imaginable... So it's nice (and surprising) to see this isn't necessarily the case.

It might be interesting to put several new category ideas up for discussion (and maybe a poll?) and then, once implemented, hold a writing contest to fill that category with new stories.

Some thoughts might be:

• Humor
  • Action/Adventure
  • Family Friendly (already mentioned, I know, but I second this as a good idea)
  • Dystopian (these are not always sci-fi in nature)

3 years ago
Those are all tags already though.

3 years ago

Most of the existing categories are also tags...

3 years ago

Fantasy is pretty broad, so you could do subgenres.

Grimdark or Dark Fantasy could be split off, since a lot of the featured games could fall under those.

3 years ago

Ooh, I have an idea!
A comedy section! 

3 years ago
That's actually a really good idea. There's plenty of stories that would fit quite snugly in a comedy section, but most of them are all just shoved in with "Modern Adventure"

3 years ago

I'd suggested a humor section (and other sections) once back when JJJ was more active but for whatever reason he didn't like the idea and was really in love with school based.

Anyway, here's what Infinite Story uses as categories.

3 years ago
Humor works as a tag, but it's always going to be a story about X that happens to be funny, not the identifying theme itself.

Avant Garde is still the worst and stupidest category and I don't know what Sev was thinking.

3 years ago
Should we add a category called "Stupid short stories written by illiterate children?"

3 years ago

3 years ago

all I'm saying is, I don't think it would be fair for me to get my own category before End does

3 years ago

I think that was probably a Ves suggestion because she was an art fag and Sev barely bothered on the "creative" side of things, focusing more on coding stuff that nobody was going to use like having a "friends" list and Guilds.

Yep, there was a time when IS had the ability to make writing Guilds. Most of these didn't do shit and were just groups of people that probably logged in a few times and disappeared. I think only one of the Guilds consisting mainly of the older IS members (before I arrived) actually did any sort of focused collaborative story and it predictably wasn't finished.

3 years ago
That sounds like such a Ves thing to do.

3 years ago
Historical would also be good. I would've liked to have put POF in a Historical section, but instead it just had to go in "Everything Else" because none of the other categories seemed to apply.

3 years ago
Historical, Family Friendly, or an alternate Fantasy category were the big three we were thinking about, besides the Endmaster shrine of course. But it's ultimately up to Killa.

3 years ago
Warrior Cats section!!! =^_^=

3 years ago

You guys should have done that back when it was actually a problem. At worst, it would have put them all in one, easy to avoid location. At best, it would have allowed for an easier purging. It's a lot easier to eliminate the undesirables when you can just nuke a whole catagory and be done with it!

3 years ago

Conveniently, I have a Google Doc that lists a bunch of genres. Here is some good ones:

• Fables
  • Coming-of-age
  • Western
  • Adventure

Fables and adventure seem pretty cool. :]

3 years ago
Yeah, but we barely get any Western related stories on CYS, and if we did, they could always go in Historical, so I think a Historical section would be better. As for "Adventure" we already have a section called "Modern Adventure" which is basically the same thing.

3 years ago

Oh! Hmm...what about fables?

3 years ago
I've seen a few Fables on CYS, so I guess that could be good. ^_^

3 years ago
The idea is broad categories that people are already writing games for. These are all insanely specific, except for Adventure which is actually TOO broad. It would cover most possible genres and settings and thus be useless.

3 years ago
Commended by BerkaZerka on 9/21/2020 1:36:35 PM

3 years ago

I knew something was fishy!

3 years ago

I just realized the subject is "Shoot up the school-based category"

This calls for some pumped up kicks!

3 years ago
Helpful sum-up since this is all being discussed again:

The new category with 95% certainty will be either Historical, Family Friendly, or a popular subgenre of Fantasy.

If you're making your own suggestion and there aren't at least 50 games that would fit it better than the category they're currently in: shut up.

3 years ago

Okay, that's fine with me! It's interesting seeing a new genre come to CYS.

3 years ago
I think Comedy/Humor should also be in the running, but I can't think of anything else.

3 years ago
I once suggested a Dumpster Category for all the shit games, but we decided to skip that and just go straight to the flamethrower.

3 years ago

Would Completely Random be a good candidate? I'm sure there are more than enough stories without plot, characters, or that were obviously worked on for less than a week that we could pitch in there.

3 years ago

3 years ago

I think those can be included in the "flamethrower" category. ^_^

3 years ago

Has anyone suggested Apoctolyptic yet? I've seen a few zombie stories around here, and I'm sure there are some other subgeneres that could fit in that catagory.

3 years ago

But then the horror section would be practically empty.

3 years ago

Fair point. I guess it wouldn't make sense to create a new catagory if we destroy another one in the process.

3 years ago
Wouldn't it?

3 years ago
He'll get it in a minute.

3 years ago

Oh... Right. We basically just did that.

3 years ago
I wonder when Killa will stop being lazy.......