Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

Hello, I have a question

2 years ago
Hello everyone!
In fact, I'm mostly here for the Dark Lord of this site — EndMaster. *respectfully frightened bow his way*
Have been slowly reading Eternal for a few months now, and it's just so *good* (though everyone here knows that, for certain).
However, as a user whose mother tongue isn't English, I can't help but wonder: have there been any attempts at translating any content from this site? I was actually entertaining the idea myself, but I figured I should first get to know people here and ask around. Wouldn't want to invent bicycles, and wouldn't want to be unrespectful.

Hello, I have a question

2 years ago

No known active organized attempt that I'm aware of.

It's possible someone (or someones) has just been manually copy/pasting stories though (Translated or not).

Hello, I have a question

2 years ago
*another bow, out of both respect and lack of desire to be turned into a pile of ashes*
So what would Your Darkness think if someone translated one of your works and published it elswhere with all due respect? Eternal is certainly an epic quest, it would probably be better to start with something smaller. But, just theoretically, what would your attitude be?

Hello, I have a question

2 years ago

Like I said, it's somewhat been done before. I think the first time was years ago, when someone from South Korea once asked to translate something of mine into Korean. I said fine as long as I get credit, but I never heard anything else. Going to guess they might not have even finished and gave up since it was Eternal and that would be A LOT to translate.

I know Necromancer and Eternal have both been partially copied elsewhere as some sort of "forum game." There's at least one site that made some sort of RPG campaign based on Eternal. (And gave credit that it was originally created by End Master) The main problem comes into play when it's discovered and the one doing the copy/pasting is attempting to make out that they created it. That happened once and when it was discovered, he got busted and SHAMED for his actions and the thread he was posting it in at the other site got deleted.

So to sum up, as long as I'm credited (Like "Original story by End Master" and a link to the site or something), I'm fairly fine with it. Not like I'm doing any of this for the money and the more my darkness is disseminated throughout the world the better.

Hello, I have a question

2 years ago
You bring up a great idea EndMaster; you should set up a Kickstarter to make the official Eternal Role-playing game. Probably would be a good fit with Exalted game mechanics over D20, as the power level would be much higher than D&D could handle.

Best of all, you could probably get a half million in backers and could afford to have a real team put together to make it a reality, rather than just using it to sucker a few kids like Grifter-Mod Seth.

Hello, I have a question

2 years ago
Much appreciated!
I sure hope I would manage to finish the work. And like I said, I should probably focus on something smaller than that epic novel for the time being.

Hello, I have a question

2 years ago
We have a lot of members who don't have English as a first language. However there seems to be almost zero interest in writing CYOAs in other languages, even after we ran a jam to encourage them.

Translating might be another thing entirely of course, but it would involve several other difficulties and I'm not sure what the best way to handle them would be.

I'd looked into doing a couple of kids' stories translated into English and Spanish at one point, but most people's phones can easily switch between them already.

Hello, I have a question

2 years ago
I have actually found a site of storygames in my language. It's probably not as great a portal as this one, but there are at least a few hundred stories there.
» it would involve several other difficulties
Interesting. I fail to see how translating would be that different from writing, so I'd like to discuss any possible difficulties.

Hello, I have a question

2 years ago
Well first of all, as you already realized you'd have to get permission, and authors from years ago aren't always as easy to track down. Then you'd have to host off site unless they were okay with it being done here, either way a difficult task when you're talking about stringing together hundreds of pages in a web of links. Duplicating a large story would be difficult no matter what language it was in.

Even moreso if it wasn't End, but someone who used scripts that you couldn't see the workings of.

Can we see that other site? I'm not aware of any non English ones but it sounds like it's pretty popular.

Hello, I have a question

2 years ago
Certainly.
Sooo, my mother tongue is Russian, and here is the link: https://quest-book.ru/.

Hello, I have a question

2 years ago
Interesting, thanks for the link!

I nominate the other commie spy @WizzyCat to investigate this one.

Hello, I have a question

2 years ago
[linky]

they seem more well put together than us with download links and cover art and social medias. but not as long-lived (obviously) and no good forums afaict.

Hello, I have a question

2 years ago

Had a feeling you were Russian before you even mentioned it.

Hello, I have a question

2 years ago
Shit, why am I so obvious. I wonder if it's my affection to long sentences. But that's just showing off for the most part, like "heyyy look I know English" :)

Hello, I have a question

2 years ago

I also happened to entertain the idea at one time. I don't have a keyboard that uses letters other than english, so I used an online keyboard for another language with different letters. I copy & pasted some text in foreign letters to here, but when I pressed "save", the letters turned into a bunch of question marks ("???").  

I'm not sure if that is one of the difficulties. But if there is a way to overcome that, I'm willing to write a short story here in a different language.

Hello, I have a question

2 years ago
I think you have to turn on Normalize HTML when using the site extension, then you can copy special characters over from other sites.

I think

Brad did get arabic characters working with the extension somehow anyway.

Hello, I have a question

2 years ago

Oh! Can the extension be installed for free on a chromebook (if it needs to be installed)?

Hello, I have a question

2 years ago
I'm actually not sure, it might need to be on Windows. You can get the Chrome version here in Brad's profile and try it though: https://chooseyourstory.com/Member/?Username=bradindvorak

If it works you can go to your profile and change a lot of settings, such as turning on dark mode.

Hello, I have a question

2 years ago

Cool, I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Hello, I have a question

2 years ago
I have verified with someone that it does work on Chromebook, so that's good to know.

Hello, I have a question

2 years ago
I have a half-done fix which I'm planning to pick up again in Fall.