Non-threaded

Forums » Newbie Central » Read Thread

Introduce yourself and get to know the community.

How do I deal with rude commenters?

2 years ago
I made my first story game recently. I thought it was pretty good, but it got so many mean comments! I scanned it for mistakes, developed my characters a bit more, and tried to make it better. But nobody has played it yet since then. I'm trying to stay positive, but when somebody tells me my first story game is bad and should be taken down, I have doubts about making more or even using this website again. Advice?

2 years ago
http://chooseyourstory.com/story/hide'n'seek

Which comments seemed rude to you? The game really obviously fell below quality standards, there's only so many ways to sugarcoat that.

But even if that hadn't been the case, you put a story up inviting others to give their opinions, and they're not always going to like what they read. There aren't many that can write everything so amazing that they're above all criticism, so if you bruise that easily, just not putting your work anywhere public is a perfectly valid option.

Going back to make edits and additions is a good thing in theory, but not practical in all cases. In the case of a story barely over a thousand words and rated 1.38/8, well....there just ain't no saving that one. You'd be better off with a fresh rewrite that expands on the basic idea, or just moving on to something new.

2 years ago

Don't be too put down by this. I haven't even read your story, but I will guess that your story did suck at least a little or probably a lot.  

That's fine. Honestly.

To tell you the truth, of course your first story is going to suck, all of our first works are as hideous as a Shoggoth in a diaper slurping a cat's bladder. My first story I've ever written got shit on by my Dutch teacher. He told me the story had the most blandest and most boring protagonist he had ever read. It was honestly quite embarrassing, but he did gave me some great feedback. If that person, you were talking about, gave you some real advice on how to improve your story, just take it! If he just said it was just bad, then it is a great opportunity to learn how to grow a thicker skin. Even if you did wrote a masterpiece, not everyone is going to like it. Hell, I still think Louis Couperus' works are the most boring, infuriating schlock I've ever read, even though he is my old teacher 's favourite author. Even if some of these people on the site are a little harsh, one thing (I hope) that they have in common is that they are all passionate about writing and always want to see more great stories being published here. 

So I'll advice you to make more crap, make every single rotten thing you can think of, experiment as much as you like. If it's that terrible,  take the feedback, then take it down, archive it and write more and more garbage till your work is on par with the site's standard and hopefully more readable. The only way to make a gem is to delve out a bunch of excrement. So don't be afraid to continue. 

However, I will advice you to maybe take your work first through the writer's workshop section before you publish it. You can post a link of your story in your post and let other people take a look. it'll probably save some headaches and you'll also get some great advice from other people on how to improve your writing skills. 

2 years ago

Ummm, what?

Not a single comment I've seen for your game has been rude/mean. Your game didn’t meet the criteria to stay up, and that's simply what it is.  

If this is how you respond to the lightest of criticism that you receive, then maybe you should follow your doubts that you have. Maybe leaving and taking some time off this site, so that when you possibly do return, you're hopefully more mature enough to handle even the softest of criticism. 

Or you could stay, learn to accept flaws, and or failure, and make the effort to improve. 

That's my advice for you at least. It's your choice with what road you decide to take as a potential writer on this site. 

2 years ago
I FIXED MY PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!! NEVERMIND! I JUST AM WRITING SUCKY STORIES ON PURPOSE NOW!

2 years ago

Cool, I'm just banning fucktards on purpose.

2 years ago
Just love that constantly reinforced feeling that helping noobs is pointless and that children were the greatest mistake the human race ever made.

2 years ago
All first games suck, really. And if a game sucks, people will say so. They aren't going to sugarcoat it. It's the internet. If you put anything you've made on it, people will be brutally honest. So be prepared for that. But don't stop writing because your first game didn't turn out how you wanted. Keep working and one day maybe you'll make a decent story game.

EDIT: Okay, so I've just realized you've been banned. And I just read your "fixed it" so...you deserved it.

2 years ago
It's a little bit weird that you're talking to yourself...

2 years ago
Not for CYS, really...

2 years ago

Write better.

You're welcome. ^_^

2 years ago

These threads will never stop being funny.

And it doesn't seem like they'll ever stop happening.

It seems such a waste though, there was good advice given to someone who wasn't ready to hear it, and now it will be lost to the newbie board. (The game that was also full of advice from commenters seems to be gone now too.)

2 years ago
Commended by mizal on 5/13/2021 12:59:28 PM

2 years ago
Mmph :)

2 years ago

I love your art so. ^_^

2 years ago

You're always able to make something of artistic merit out of these situations.

A great drawing, MHD.

2 years ago

Lol.